What are your favorite books set in Florida?

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2020, 04:11 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Hey, JerryLBell, I am happy I made your day. You made my day right back when you said Skink is in Hiaasen’s new book. I love Skink and his unique brand of justice.

Now, I am going to try to make your day again:

If you go to carlhiaasen.com you can click on and listen to a 37 minute interview with Carl on the show Fresh Air.

He talks about the pythons in the book. Turns out Florida really does have a python issue because of people getting them as pets and then letting them go, and also because Hurricane Andrew hit some reptile farms.

He said that although no people have been swallowed — like the book’s unfortunate heiress Kiki Pew — there really have been some big pythons squeezing and swallowing some big entrees — one was a deer. The pythons are thriving and even heading north. (shudder)

Have fun visiting Carl’s website. I know I do.

Boomer
Old 08-22-2020, 05:17 PM
Default What are your favorite books set in Florida?

John D MacDonald has a ton of books. My favorite is The Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything. He has a Travis McGee series, sort of a detective/mystery theme. I used to have about 70 of his books, but sadly gave them to my son's step father-in-law when I moved to Florida. Had to downsize
Old 08-22-2020, 05:49 PM

Devil in the grove and The Land remembered great books
Thanks for the recommendation for the books
Old 08-22-2020, 06:49 PM

Here's a new one by a Villages author, Jane Minard: Coach in Cottage C: A story inspired by events in the life of Victor C. Prinzi by Rosemary Ryan Imregi (Author), J.R. Minard (Author): Inspired by 1961 events in the life of Florida State University quarterback Victor C. Prinzi during his time at the Florida School for Boys (now known as the Dozier School for Boys), Imregi and Minard’s Coach in Cottage C dramatizes how institutional life burns inside the minds and souls of faculty and boys alike.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 08-23-2020, 11:01 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith
and Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
I have read this too & could barely put it down. Great read.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:12 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Today, I started listening to A Land Remembered.

I am hooked already and it has been only a half hour so far.

I use Audible when I walk or when I am doing some work around the house. Often I walk inside my house — round and round — boring, but the AC is nice and I find if I have a good book waiting on Audible, I do more walking. A Land Remembered will take me 14+ hours.

Anyway, thank you to all who recommended my current walkabout book.

Boomer
Old 08-26-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
A Land Remembered. Devil In The Grove will make you wonder why McCall's Tavern is named after a man like Sheriff McCall.
Is this a fact?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
Vindication by H. Terrell Griffin. An easy read...what makes it interesting is that the setting is none other than The Villages.

A murder has occurred and the body is left in Brownwood Square...finding the suspect takes the reader all over TV.

Another that I enjoyed was The Road to Key West
Thanks, I was struggling trying to remember the name of this author. His books are light and fun to read.
Closed Thread

Tags
series, florida, books, set, suspense

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.