Actually, I have a few I will share with commentary...

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Email Reported As Spam

How about Robin Williams and Edward Norton in "Death to Smoochy".
Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Default Yes !!!...

"Same Time Next Year" was an excellent movie!

Quite a "Twist" on the ending that quite frankly I never saw coming. I would love to see that one again!

You know, another movie came to mind while reading your post....

"Driving Miss Daisy" Ohhhh My!...that was a good one!

I gotta go find a "RedBox" ! LOL

Dave
Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM

I enjoy most films made in the 1930’s, 40’s and 50’s..... so many great actors, writers, and directors from those decades.
Love film noirs and mysteries such as Double Indemnity, Out of the Past, Murder My Sweet and Crossroads to name but a few.

Any movie starring William Powell, Ronald Coleman, John Forsythe and Don Ameche is a hit with me. Beside the fact that of these men were drop dead gorgeous, they were also very talented actors. And each possessed that rich, smooth, velvety voice which mesmerizes me every time I watch their movies.

Loved all those light musicals filmed in glorious Technicolor. “Down Argentine Way” is worth the price (rent or buy) just to see the lovely Betty Grable and very handsome Don Ameche sing "Two Dreams Met."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYeikvOGYV8[/ame]
Old 06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I like foreign movies because they don't seem to be as plastic as many of the american movies. I also like the 30's, 40's and 50's movies. They got a little silly in the 60's and too darn dirty in 70's to present . apparently Hollywood can't make a movie without nudity anymore, even their cartoons

Braveheart my all time favorite. Met a guy from Scotland here a few years back and brought up the movie. You guessed it, It is a big hit over there.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Oh my goodness! For some reason I just now remembered a wonderfully silly movie from the 90's -- Good Burger.

I remember that it had lots of just plain silly lines that made me laugh out loud. You know how it goes when something said is taken literally and leads to foolishness. Things like.....

He says, "Would you like to have dinner tonight?"

She says, "I like to have dinner every night."

I do not know why I think stuff like that is funny. But I just do. Can't explain it. Can't help it.

Seems like Good Burger had a good triumphs over bad thing going on, too. And I always like that.

I really must track down Good Burger and see if I still think it is funny. I bet I will.

I remain,
Ever so sophisticated Boomer
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Veteran member

Sci/fi, scary, suspense.
1. Alien
2. The Exorcist
3. Salems Lot. A great Vampire movie.

Romance
Out Of Africa

Western
1. Lonesome Dove, watched as a movie.
2. Anything else with Robert Duval

Crime
1.Godfather
2. Godfather 1

Historical fiction
Shindler's List
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Default AnnaBelle...what a lovely post and I agree...

Don Ameche was quite the "Ladies Man". I'am wondering, did you see him in "Cocoon" with Wilford Brimley, and Hume Croyn ? He was still the ladies man except when he was out "Galavanting" with his buddies. LOL.

"Cocoon" is another one of my favorites! Directed by Ron Howard.

Rubicon, I agree. Seems like in the 60's the movies did get a little too silly, and depending on what movie you were drawn to...down-right Dumb!

I think the "Sillyest" vote, hands down was "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World!
So silly it was all I could do to sit there for 3 HOURS to see how it ended!

But...I would like to see it again. :-)

But a few good ones came out of that decade...One that comes to mind is the "Sound of Music"...and all the "Rogers and Hammerstein" musicals were very good...but as I mentioned, I'am not a big fan of the musicals.

Enough for now, Keep'em coming gang!
Dave
Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM

I love movies so it's hard to narrow it down.
One of my favorites is Gladiator with Russell Crowe.
A big Meg Ryan fan, so Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail.
Working Girl with Melanie Griffith and Harrison Ford.
I'm easy for true tearjerkers like The Blind Side, Rudy, Radio, etc.
My favorite currently playing is Water for Elephants.
Can't wait to see The Help in August.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Young Frankenstein". "Put the candle back." and so many more great lines.
B&BTexas
Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default to LelandJane

I like those movies too. The one you mentioned...Working Girl is that a remake? of something like Girl Friday or My Girl Friday? or something like that. I Also grew up on the original Sabrina and like the remake with Harrison Ford.

Does anyone know..... I remember something like An Affair to Remember but do I have it confused with Same Time Next Year? I know I have seen many of those movies you all have mentioned but may have been too young to rememer their name. They were very good though.

Rubicon I agree about the movies. I think the King's Speech did so well and everyone was happy that maybe Hollywood will get it that it does not have to have all the bad stuff in it.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Anything with a Hepburn -- Kate or Audrey.

Two comedies I love but are definitely NOT PC: Blazing Saddles and The Ritz. Rita Moreno was hysterical doing a takeoff of Bette Midler as a cabaret singer at a gay bath house in NYC. And who can ever forget the campfire scene. Also loved Cat Ballou mainly because of Lee Marvin riding backwards.

I could watch and probably have watched The Dirty Dozen at least a hundred times. Ditto The Magnificent Seven.

Loved the Terminator series; ditto Indiana Jones series, especially the one with Sean Connery in it; the first trilogy of Star Wars.

Anything in which Barbra Streisand sings.

And I loved White Nights just because of the dancing between Barishnikov and Gregory Hines. A Chorus Line and All that Jazz are my favorite musicals.

Loved the Duke in Hellfighters. That and The Quiet Man are my two favorite John Wayne movies.

Favorite gratuitous violent movie: The Highlander.

Shrek I and II.

As you can tell, not much into chick flicks or dramas.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Default Actually, I never saw...

"Young Frankinstien" I dont know why. I guess I've always related it to something like "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" kinda movie...but we wont go there...ever again...(oooops...darn...never mind). :-)

I hope no one takes that as an insult to Mel Brooks but yes, he did some very good movies. Very entertaining.

Another excellent film has come to mind. Surely you must remember "Somewhere in Time", with Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour? Very good film set in my favorite time period of the 20's.

A very interesting story line and I loved the music to that one as well.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&BTexas View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned "Young Frankenstein". "Put the candle back." and so many more great lines.
B&BTexas
It slipped my mind when thinking of a comedy but I thought Young Frankenstein is a worthy classic.

The scene between the blind man and Frankenstein was hilarious.

Trivia Question:

Who played the blind man?

No cheating.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&BTexas View Post
B&BTexas
It slipped my mind when thinking of a comedy but I thought Young Frankenstein is a worthy classic.

The scene between the blind man and Frankenstein was hilarious.

Trivia Question:

Who played the blind man?

No cheating.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=ssmith;358980]Does anyone know..... I remember something like An Affair to Remember but do I have it confused with Same Time Next Year? I know I have seen many of those movies you all have mentioned but may have been too young to rememer their name. They were very good though.

ssmith:

An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr.

Same Time Next year with Alan Alda and Carol Burnett?

Hope that helps.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.