Actually, I have a few I will share with commentary...

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PylutDood View Post
- - - - - - - -

Another excellent film has come to mind. Surely you must remember "Somewhere in Time", with Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour? Very good film set in my favorite time period of the 20's.

A very interesting story line and I loved the music to that one as well.
Uh oh......

Now you've gone and done it, PylutDood. You made me cry. You made me go to my iPod and punch up Rachmaninov so I could listen to that music from Somewhere in Time. And sure enough -- gets me every time....(sniffle, sniff, HONK)

I was going to try to find it and link it here and just DARE anybody to listen to it and NOT cry. (Well......guess I would have to just dare the girls maybe. The guys might not admit it anyway.)

But I must get out of here now so I did not look for a link.

But I gotta tellya, if there is a girl out there who can listen to that Rachmaninov theme and not cry......welllllll then I have another song that such a "Hard-Hearted Hannah" just might need to track down. That song is not from a movie. It is a country song by Confederate Railroad. The title is "She Never Cried When Old Yeller Died." That song says a lot. Tells a story like most of those great country songs do.

But I digress. And I have GOT to get out of this thread. Maybe the third time is a charm.

Maybe.

Boomer
Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Uh oh......

But I digress. And I have GOT to get out of this thread. Maybe the third time is a charm.

Maybe.

Boomer

But Boomer you are just getting warmed up - - -

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Sage

How about:

Little Big Man

Tootsie

Rainman

Midnight Cowboy

Papillon

Kramer vs Kramer

or

The Graduate

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Gene Hackman. "Would you like a cigar?"
B&BTexas
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
It slipped my mind when thinking of a comedy but I thought Young Frankenstein is a worthy classic.

The scene between the blind man and Frankenstein was hilarious.

Trivia Question:

Who played the blind man?

No cheating.
Gene Hackman. "Would you like a cigar". (sorry, I'm new to this posting stuff)
B&BTexas
Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
But Boomer you are just getting warmed up - - -

Hey Chuck,

Oh, I know. And I know you know. That's because we have both been around TOTV forever. Geez. I coulda written a book or gone to law school with all the time I have spent writing these silly posts. It has been fun though. Not so much lately as before. But oh well......still pick up on a little fun once in a while.

And, now, darn it, Chuck.....I am sitting here trying to remember your old English teacher's name. And I do not have time to look it up because I really do have a place I have to be in about an hour. And I must go make myself presentable.

And, yes, I know, that's a hijacking. Uh oh. I must try to behave better. Yeah. Right.

Boomer (who has been known to run with scissors and also colors outside the lines)
Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 PM

A Lion in Winter - for the dialogue

My cousin Vinney - funny

Ghost and Mrs Muir - Love story (wishing they would do a remake)

Sea Biscuit, Black Stallion and several other Horse movies.

Under Our Skin - because I too, have Lyme Disease

and Many more.........
Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

And, now, darn it, Chuck.....I am sitting here trying to remember your old English teacher's name. And I do not have time to look it up because I really do have a place I have to be in about an hour. And I must go make myself presentable.

Boomer (who has been known to run with scissors and also colors outside the lines)

You must be the only person I know who can't remember Mrs Traphagen's name! (may she RIP, [be]cause she was ancient when we were in HS)

Link to my HS's first class website (check out the pics): http://www.brownlee.org/RichHS1956/index.html

Old 06-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&BTexas View Post
Gene Hackman. "Would you like a cigar". (sorry, I'm new to this posting stuff)
B&BTexas
Your right. Many people don't know that.

When the blind spilled soup onto his sensitive area, I was howling.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Your right. Many people don't know that.

When the blind spilled soup onto his sensitive area, I was howling.
I knew the answer too and loved Young Frankenstein...also thought Marty Feldman was hillarious....Abey normal

Glaidator and Rob Roy also two great movies Jouqin Phoenix good in that and in "To Die For"
Old 06-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Default Thanks PylutDood....glad you liked it.

[QUOTE=PylutDood;358950]Don Ameche was quite the "Ladies Man". I'am wondering, did you see him in "Cocoon" with Wilford Brimley, and Hume Croyn ? He was still the ladies man except when he was out "Galavanting" with his buddies. LOL.

"Cocoon" is another one of my favorites! Directed by Ron Howard.

Thank you PylutDood and I too liked Cocoon. I was in my early thirties when it was released and while I found it quite entertaining, now that I have accumulated a few years on my odometer I will have to watch Cocoon again as I am sure it’s theme will be more relevant, since I am fast approaching my senior years.

Recalling all those “rejuvenating” pool scenes in Cocoon brings to mind another wonderful movie star from the past.... Esther Williams. Boy, did she make some entertaining movies!

A little anecdote......as a child I was told by adults (numerous times) that my mother could pass as Esther Williams’ twin. She had the same striking physical attributes as the beautiful EW. Now, whenever I watch an EW movie, I remember all those lads who “came-a-court-in” long ago and wonder if they really came to see the “daughter”....or..... the “pretty lady” that Esther Williams resembled!

For fans of Esther Williams.....the following is a lovely tribute to a lovely lady.
(Be sure to view this on full screen to appreciate her amazing skill and exquisite grace.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYW64moSLKg[/ame]
Old 06-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default ahhh Annabelle

I am sure those courters were for you but a nice tribute to old mom though.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
You must be the only person I know who can't remember Mrs Traphagen's name! (may she RIP, [be]cause she was ancient when we were in HS)

Link to my HS's first class website (check out the pics): http://www.brownlee.org/RichHS1956/index.html

Yes! Mrs. Traphagen! I do not know why I cannot remember her name. I love that name. It is a perfect name for an English teacher.

I looked at your website and could not find her picture there. Heck, Chuck, the dear lady was probably about 40 when she was your teacher but you kids thought she was ancient.

I must say though, the superintendent looks exactly like Mr. Conklin from "Our Miss Brooks." Miss Brooks was an English teacher. Remember how she drove Mr. Conklin, the principal, nuts. I always admired Miss Brooks for some reason. Even though I was just a little kid at the time.

Whoops! I had better pretend I am staying on topic now........

uh......

To Sir With Love
Stand and Deliver
Blackboard Jungle.......

Can't think of any more to make me look like I am trying to stay on topic.....I know there have to be more.....

Oh yeah....
Goodbye Mr. Chips.

And almost forgot Dead Poets Society.

(Now I probably will not be able to sleep tonight because I will be trying to think of more teacher movies. Why oh why did I look again at this thread???)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-02-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Default Ok...ONE more, then...

...I guess it's time to put this thread to bed. :-)

"PleasantVille". No, I'am not talking about TV.

This movie is in Black and White starting out. It is a story of two Teens (Brother and Sister) who are reluctantly transported back in time and into a Television Show of the 1950's where everything is..."Perfect".

The family is perfect, It's always sunny, the kids behave and mind there parents, Dinner is ALWAYS on the table at 5pm and Mom always looks like she is dressed up for dinner at BREAKFAST !

When they arrive (the teens) from the future and begin to "influence" the other's of this small town with "Im-perfection" or...yes corruption, The characters begin to become (little by little) "Colorized".

It's a dead giveaway you have lived your true feelings...or been naughty.

Thats all I will say. I dont want to give it away.

It is a clean movie. Nothing Vulgar or profain...just good wholesome entertainment.

It stars Don Knotts for pete sake! It Cant be bad...or can it?

You'll love it. I promise.

THATS ALL FOR NOW...GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY...WE LOVE YA'...

And may God Bless !

Dave
Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Gold member

Some great films listed here, but I'm surprised no one mention the Godfather series (unless I missed it). Whereas some of my previous favorites have become less so over time (such as the first two Star Wars movies), the Godfather series is increasing its stature with me.

Edit: Yup, I missed them being listed by two others who have impeccable taste.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.