Actually, I have a few I will share with commentary...

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Default Actually, I have a few I will share with commentary...

...of my all time favorites.

#1 All time Favorite..."The Sting" with Nueman and Redford TOPS the list.
Other very notables also in this film Ray Walston, Robert Shaw, Eileen Brennan, Dana Elcar, Charles Durning and others. Excellent screen play with a "twisting plot"
At the end of the film...who REALLY gets "STUNG"??? The viewing audience!

#2 "The Spirit of St. Louis"...with Jimmy Stewart. Very well done and historically accurate. Even Charles Lindburgh himself agreed it was "Excellent"! I think it earned a few Oscars including best Director for Billy Wilder. The movie was released in my birth year, 1952...besides I'am a Jimmy Stewart fan.

#3 "Carbine Williams" Another Jimmy Stewart film. Also released in 1952, the story of D.M. Williams who invented the M-1 Carbine automatic weapon.

#4 "TITANIC"...yes the lastest release that was a box office smash! Computer technology was just getting into the "Movies". I heard the hype and figured it was just another "Love Story". BOY was I wrong!
It ran for 7 months in local theaters and just 2 DAYS before it closed I thought..."I better go check it out". I'am glad I did. Excellent film!!!

#5 "Public Enemy" with Johnny Depp. Yes a little intense...and I'll admit I "winced" once or twice. But over all an excellent film and I'am not even a big Johnny Depp fan.

#6 "The Legend of ****** Vance" with Will Smith and Jack Lemmon. If you are a golfer this film is a MUST SEE !!!!

I guess you have surmised by now I'am drawn to the "earlier Era" of the 20's and 30's...you know...the "Rum Runners", the "Bootleggers", yes I would have fit right in.

Thank You for allowing me to share,
Dave
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Sage

I like musicals - Like

Wizard of Oz (we're not in Kansas anymore)

West Side Story (Maria, Maria)

Sound of Music (Doe, a deer)

Grease (Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee)

American Graffiti (Where were you in '62)

Dirty Dancing (Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hey, this thread could be fun and also helpful when trying to think up something to order from Netflix.

Body Heat is still one of my all-time favorites. Can't hear wind-chimes without thinking about bad, bad Kathleen Turner and stupid, stupid William Hurt in that steamy, steamy Florida setting. And for some reason, I still remember Richard Crenna from Our Miss Brooks. (I absolutely love old sitcoms.) -- Lots of years between those two gigs for Richard Crenna. Guess he had a pretty long career.

Also, I liked Bull Durham. Just liked it -- that's all.

And Terms of Endearment. It's guaranteed to make me sob though. But Jack Nicholson as the astronaut makes me laugh in that one because he is such a perfect arrogant ass. (Might not be acting maybe.)

Boomer
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Gold member

My favorites...

Dances With Wolves (TATONKA!) love the west, beautiful scenery

Braveheart (F-R-E-E-D-O-M!) Epic

Fatal Attraction (Anyone care for wabbit stew!)

Wall Street (first one, fell in love with Michael Douglas on the Streets of San
Francisco and then again in Cartegna with Kathleen Turner)

Jaws (We're gonna need a bigger boat!) Keeps me out of the ocean!

... and my Best Actor Oscar goes to any movie directed by (or acted in)... CLINT EASTWOOD; Best Actress Meryl Streep! Love all their movies. This was fun. Have a happy day!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default What!

no one mentioned Gone with the Wind!

A couple more chick flicks:
Officer and a Gentleman
When Harry Met Sally

All time Favorite - One Flew over the Coo-koos Nest(even spell check didn't help!) (Billo - had to borrow some popcorn for this thread)

and who doesn't like - Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Most of mine have already been mentioned.

Body Heat was a great movie, Officer and a Gentleman one of the best, American Graffiti was a classic, and Pulp Fiction was out there. The first Star wars, Paint your Wagon for musicals, and Cool Hand Luke and Bullet. Thomas Crown Affair and then all the Indiana Jones movies. Under the Tuscan Sun, Diane Lane is great. And the original 12 Angry Men with Henry Fonda. Rounders, Good Will Hunting, Top Gun and O Brother Where Art Thou.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default some more....

While You Were Sleeping (Sandra Bullock), cute love story, funny situations, comedy. My family loves to emulate the conversation at the dinner table with everyone talking and no one can keep up!!!

A Walk in the Clouds (Keano Reaves), Beautiful love story, beautiful scenery. Takes place post WW2 and in the California Wine Country. Includes a traditional Hispanic wealthy family who own a vineyard and the adjustment of the father to growing and not being in control. Be careful with this one....there are what I consider to be too explicit love scenes....but you can always fast forward!

Maverick (the latest one) Rollicking good fun. I grew up on this show. Fun to see James Garner in it who was the original Maverick and Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster are fun too.

The End of the Spear Great Christian movie about James Elliot and how he was killed by Amazon tribesmen and then the adjustment of his son and conversion of the tribesmen.

City Slickers, Pride and Prejudice. Yep, I like chick flicks for the most part.

Seabiscuit, Remember the Titans, The Blind Side, The Matrix, Pirates of the Carribean.

There is a little known movie called... Return to Me that is an absolute hoot with David Duchovny, Minnie Driver, Carroll O'Connor, Robert Loggia, David Allan Greer, Bonnie Hunt and James Belushi. Very improprobable story but such great great actors/scenes in it. The old farts in the movie really steal the show and so does James Belushi....funny funny!

Also The Man in the Iron Mask and the Count of Monte Cristo. There are many more but these are the first I thought of.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Platinum member
Default True story!

I had a long time barber client who had never seen ANY movies. He was the child of theatrical parents and grew up 'in the wings' off stage. ( He was 68 years old.)
One day, while getting his haircut, he said he had a dilemma and needed my advice.
Seems his grandchildren had given him Netflix for Father's Day and he hadn't a clue how to begin to choose anything.... could I secretly help with a list to start him off?
It was a great and joyful exercise for me, to really think about how to best introduce him to film! Each time he came in, he'd take a short list, then give his critique the next time I saw him. We did this for months and I had as much fun as he did, as I began to look at film from many different perspectives.
Eventually, he graduated from novice to expert and began to bring small lists for ME to try!
I LOVED that!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Sage
Default Favorites and Comments

Dave:

I’m also a fan of the old movie classics.

Action/Adventure
1. Raiders of the lost Ark – Non-stop action. Truck scene was incredible.
2. Terminator 2 – Special effect were awesome.

Drama:
1. The Best Years Of Our Lives- Federick March, Myrna Loy, Teresa Wright and Dana Andrews. Some would argue the best film made re Bette Davis.
2. Dodsworth – Walter Huston, father of John Huston, the famous director and Ruth Chatterton. A little known film from the 30’s. Going to be shown on TCM, Saturday at 8 PM, 6/4/11.

Crime
1. The Godfather I and II – It’s really a story about a family. Godfather II – the only sequel to win an Academy award.
2. The Thin Man – William Powell and Myrna Loy.

Romance:
1. Casablanca – Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman - the most famous quotes in a movie.
2. When Harry Met Sally – Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan – “I’ll have, what she’s having”.

Westerns:
1. The Unforgiven – Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman. - Bar scene at end is the best.
2. Stagecoach – John Wayne.

Horror:
1. Pyscho – Janet Leigh and Anthony Perkins
2. Frankenstein and Wolfman movies – scary when I was a lad.

Sports:
1. Pride of the Yankees – Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright.

War:
1. They were Expendable – John Wayne and Donna Reed.

Comedy:
1. Grumpy Old Men – Jack Lemmon and Water Matthau.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Default Thank You all for your response

Wow...each of you lists some great movies! I guess asking what your favorite movie is...is like asking "Whats your favorite song"? Geeeze...there are only a thousand or more !!! But Yes, this could be a fun thread, so I thought I would expand on a few more movies that I really liked.

I'am a big Tom Hanks Fan so...I'll start there.

"The Green Mile" tops the list. Certainly fiction, but somehow very believable. EXCELLENT FILM !!!

"Forest Gump" of course. The way the producers and editors placed "Forest" in scenes of past historic events really amazed me! Only downside...they may have drawn it out a little too long.

"Road to Perdition" Another film based in the 30's and also starring Paul Newman. I believe this was Newman's last film.

I like all the "Indiana Jones" adventures. I even have a hat just like his !

War Movies...well... and here is Tom Hanks again...."Saving Private Ryan" is high on my list. Maybe a little "HollyWoody" but excellent film none the less.

"Memphis Belle" is also up there. The saga of a B-17 bomber crew, in WW II on it's last mission. An edge of the seat thriller with a happy outcome.

Not really a war movie (well, maybe the "Cold War") but considering my interst an involvement with aviation a space technology I would consider "The Right Stuff" very high on my list and finally "Apollo 13" (yep, Tom Hanks again with other very notables).

Well, Enough for now.
Lets here somemore from you.
Dave
Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Braveheart my very very favorite cold and do watch it over and over.

Road to Perdidtion great movie can be seen again and again

Worked in a theatre and so South Pacific 25 full times in two weeks

All That Jazz

Shawshank Redemption
Old 06-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Gold member

The Searchers with John Wayne. Exodus, great music. Ben Hur.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Default Oh YES...I forgot...

"The Shawshank Redemption"....yes...Yes...YES !!! EXCELLENT film !!! I like Morgan Freeman!...and he's a pilot also ! Betcha' didnt know that.

"South Pacific" is probably my favorite musical. I'am not really into musicals at all but...I just KNOW "Bali Hai" is out there...SOME WHERE (Bloody Mary told me so) !!!

Actually, this is an item on my "Bucket List". A cruise to the South Pacific islands of Tahiti, The French Poly Islands and Bora Bora.

Royal Carribean sails out of Hawaii to these destinations. I'am just dreading the plane flight over!

I just KNOW I'll see "Bali Hai" Someday !!!

Dave
Old 06-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PylutDood View Post
Wow...each of you lists some great movies! I guess asking what your favorite movie is...is like asking "Whats your favorite song"? Geeeze...there are only a thousand or more !!! But Yes, this could be a fun thread, so I thought I would expand on a few more movies that I really liked.

I'am a big Tom Hanks Fan so...I'll start there.

Me too.

"The Green Mile"
tops the list. Certainly fiction, but somehow very believable. EXCELLENT FILM !!!

I agree. written by Stephen King.

"Forest Gump"
of course. The way the producers and editors placed "Forest" in scenes of past historic events really amazed me! Only downside...they may have drawn it out a little too long.

Loved "Forrest Gump".

"Road to Perdition"
Another film based in the 30's and also starring Paul Newman. I believe this was Newman's last film.

I like all the "Indiana Jones" adventures. I even have a hat just like his !

The best favorite of mine, "Raiders of the Lost Ark". It started, I blinked and it was over.

War Movies...well... and here is Tom Hanks again...."Saving Private Ryan" is high on my list. Maybe a little "HollyWoody" but excellent film none the less.

I agree.

"Memphis Belle" is also up there. The saga of a B-17 bomber crew, in WW II on it's last mission. An edge of the seat thriller with a happy outcome.

Never saw this one.

Not really a war movie (well, maybe the "Cold War") but considering my interst an involvement with aviation a space technology I would consider "The Right Stuff" very high on my list and finally "Apollo 13" (yep, Tom Hanks again with other very notables).

Apollo 13 is one film I occasionally see on my DVD collection.

Well, Enough for now.
Lets here somemore from you.
Dave
I didn't mention "Top Hat" in my original post. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers were an elegant dancing team. Loved the music from the old masters, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin and Cole Porter.

It's funny their dancing in the Green Mile. "It's like watching angels", is a memorable line.

Last edited by 2BNTV; 06-01-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Gold member

How could I forget The Shawshank Redemption and Road to Perdition. Great movies!

Little Miss Sunshine, quirky, very disfunctional family. Sounds like my family growing up but we would have done anything for each other. Made me laugh.

Dumb and Dumber, really dumb but very funny!

Anybody ever see Same Time Next Year with Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn. Endearing.

And remember the mini series The Thorn Birds, SHOGUN, Rich Man Poor Man? Great TV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.