American Sniper

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2015, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
No issue with the actor or the movie. The issue is not about Mr. Kyle's actions as a sniper in Iraq. The only issue is whether Mr. Kyle was truthful in his book about the other parts of his life, the other actions. I don't own the book but allegedly there are claims of his being on top of the New Orleans Superdome during Katrina shooting looters and other completely made up stuff. (Hard to believe a book publisher would allow such an easily disproven claim to get into a book.) And you be the judge about the character of a person who uses a sucker punch to the face as a response to hurt feelings then runs away before the cops or his victim have a chance to respond.
Never gave or received a sucker punch. Never witnessed a real one in person. I am sure I have deserved one now and then, and reading the transcript above, I might have been inclined, and I surely would have run.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I still don't get it. The words you printed don't seem controversial.
GG, He LIED about it. The event never happened. He made it up. He never hit Jesse Ventura. That is why Mr Ventura sued him, for going on a national TV show watched my millions and lying, creating a story to at least to himself make him a bigger hero, and sell books. That is what the jury found. The controversy about Mr. Kyle has to do with his character, nothing to do with his ability to shoot a gun.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:12 PM
Sage

We just got back from Sumter Landing where we watched the movie with a packed theater. The audience sat silent at the end until the credits rolled and the screen went black. Then there was applause. I cried during the movie and couldn't stop crying for some time after it was over and I walked heavy hearted and sad to the cool night air filled with music playing in the square. The movie takes a raw look at war, life, death, family and the passions that drive us.The clash and similarities of two different cultures and countries made my head reel and made me think. Really think. About life. About children. About God. Good and evil. About the way we are all the same and all so different.

"It's a heck of a thing to stop a beatin' heart."
Old 01-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Veteran member

Whatever the protagonist was or was not, this movie is good. I must have been to the same showing as you bkcunningham1, and I too, had a tear in my eye as I left the building.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 01-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Eternal Member

I have not seen this movie but have talked with people who have seen it.

Is it true the audience would cheer and applaud when the sniper killed his Muslim targets?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

Is it true the audience would cheer and applaud when the sniper killed his Muslim targets?
Not at the showing I attended. Very respectful and quiet, especially at the end.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Old 01-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
You mean like the Muslims cheered when they watched the world trade center come down?..........I don't recall hearing cheering when I saw the movie but so what if they did? Are you against one of our snipers saving several American lives?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
You mean like the Muslims cheered when they watched the world trade center come down?..........I don't recall hearing cheering when I saw the movie but so what if they did? Are you against one of our snipers saving several American lives?
I think he was just asking a question.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Old 01-28-2015, 05:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
Not at the showing I attended. Very respectful and quiet, especially at the end.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

I went snipe hunting once. Does that make me a sniper?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Good movie and I will have to read the book and see how these two compare. There did seem to be a lot of poetic license taken though unless I am mistaken about my assumptions.

It was a very good anti-war movie about the affects of combat on extraordinary as well as ordinary soldiers.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Understanding

I thought the movie gave a good understanding of the pain both physical and emotional that our young soldiers go through when in battle and recovery after battle. We are truly indebted to these young people who get wounded. When I was about 12 years old I went on rounds with my father in the hospital for returning soldiers in WWII. Some had bones showing in legs with mesh protecting them, some were blind, some were trying to walk, and a host of all other injuries. If his actions saved one life or protected one soldier from a major injury then he is a hero. Everyone should see the movie in order to get a good understanding of what it means when a 20 year old is sent to the middleast to fight these psychopaths. They are not terrorists they are psychopaths, that have no conscience.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:41 AM

I did not know Kyle, but being formally from Mn. I felt I knew Ventura. If push came to shove on who to believe, I would take Kyle, but apparently the Judge didn't see it that way. I hope the appeal process works for Kyle's widow.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplars View Post
I did not know Kyle, but being formally from Mn. I felt I knew Ventura. If push came to shove on who to believe, I would take Kyle, but apparently the Judge didn't see it that way. I hope the appeal process works for Kyle's widow.
Judge didn't make the decision, it was a jury trial.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I really don't understand why Ventura would call fellow SEALS cowards. Sounds like he deserved a lot more than a punch. Anyway, Ventura is showing his stripes by taking money from Kyle's widow and children. What kind of character does that indicate?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.