American Sniper

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2015, 04:46 PM

Just saw it at LSL, what a great film and a tribute to U.S. armed forces. When I got home I went on the internet to learn more about Chris Kyle. I was disappointed to read about Hollywood types condemning the movie and Chris Kyle. Particularly Michael Moore who has a rep for these type of attacks, my suggestion is to never support any work he does so he loses the platform he uses. Let us praise Chris Kyle and all the men like him who served and continue to serve our country.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnonne View Post
Just saw it at LSL, what a great film and a tribute to U.S. armed forces. When I got home I went on the internet to learn more about Chris Kyle. I was disappointed to read about Hollywood types condemning the movie and Chris Kyle. Particularly Michael Moore who has a rep for these type of attacks, my suggestion is to never support any work he does so he loses the platform he uses. Let us praise Chris Kyle and all the men like him who served and continue to serve our country.
Clint Eastwood is a Hollywood type. You will not really see consensus on any topic from Hollywood.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Amen to the comment on Michael Moore.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Veteran member

Just saw this movie and to describe my feelings at the end , they were some of the same feelings I had after 911.. closeness to my fellow americans.. I just wanted to give everyone a hug..The theater was dead silent during the credits.. <sigh> Go see the movie in the theater with your fellow Villagers .. you won't regret it.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Interesting background to the story told in the book and during the promotional tour for the book by Mr. Kyle. And it was this story, as you will read, that got the book moving up the best seller list.

Why Did the ‘Deadliest’ SEAL Sniper Punch Jesse Ventura in The Face? | Video | TheBlaze.com

Sniper Admits Punching Jesse Ventura | Military.com

Mr. Kyle it turns out had some difficulty with truth in his book, although his military actions are not lied about. And the movie does not include the lies in his book. Mr Ventura has already been awarded nearly 2 million in a slander lawsuit and stands to receive millions more from the success of this movie.

American Sniper lawsuit: Chris Kyle told lies about Jesse Ventura.

I don't get why someone who could get such community support for his legitimate actions in the military needed to confabulate additional stories. Feet of clay
Old 01-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Sage

i don't think it was the Ventura story which caused the book to skyrocket, but rather Kyle's appearance on O"Reilly which is watched by millions...no one is saying he is a perfect human being, but he certainly is a hero who saved hundreds of lives. no doubt about that.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:55 PM
Gold member

Chris Kyle is dead.

Jesse the Body Ventura is alive and needs money because he is a has-been.

End of story.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I know very little about this subject, but I am surprised that Dirty Harry did not look further into this persons background before making this movie. The news channels are digging deep into his background.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-24-2015, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Interesting background to the story told in the book and during the promotional tour for the book by Mr. Kyle. And it was this story, as you will read, that got the book moving up the best seller list.

Why Did the ‘Deadliest’ SEAL Sniper Punch Jesse Ventura in The Face? | Video | TheBlaze.com

Sniper Admits Punching Jesse Ventura | Military.com

Mr. Kyle it turns out had some difficulty with truth in his book, although his military actions are not lied about. And the movie does not include the lies in his book. Mr Ventura has already been awarded nearly 2 million in a slander lawsuit and stands to receive millions more from the success of this movie.

American Sniper lawsuit: Chris Kyle told lies about Jesse Ventura.

I don't get why someone who could get such community support for his legitimate actions in the military needed to confabulate additional stories. Feet of clay

Thanks for the background on aspects of Chris Kyle's personality. Think what he went through for his country. I doubt if you find many flawless heroes especially those with the sensitivities forced out by war memories.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Chris Kyle is dead.

Jesse the Body Ventura is alive and needs money because he is a has-been.

End of story.
The slander suit was filed well before Kyle's sudden death. A court of citizens decided that Mr. Ventura deserved the money because of Mr. Kyle's actions. Appeals courts have also agreed that the trial and judgment of the jury were proper
Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
i don't think it was the Ventura story which caused the book to skyrocket, but rather Kyle's appearance on O"Reilly which is watched by millions...no one is saying he is a perfect human being, but he certainly is a hero who saved hundreds of lives. no doubt about that.
I don't know if you read the link I posted from Slate.com. Your claim about his appearance on OReilly is correct. But he made his slanderous claim on that TV show. Here is the pertinent paragraph:

Quote:
Early drafts of the book identified the SEAL as Jesse Ventura, former governor of Minnesota and famed professional wrestler, but Kyle’s publishers removed the name for fear of a lawsuit. Nonetheless, in a radio interview following the book’s release, Kyle admitted that “Scruff Face” was Ventura, and he repeated the claim soon after on The O’Reilly Factor. American Sniper shot to the top of Amazon’s best-seller list, becoming a smash hit for its publisher
Old 01-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't understand. I haven't seen the movie but know who Chris Kyle is. Was he played by someone who was/is controversial?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Sage

Lest anyone claim that the O'Reilly Factor interview was not all about pushing the Jesse Ventura story, Fox does post transcripts of the show:
It began and more than 50% of the interview was about Ventura. Where it reads start Video, it is a video of Ventura. Draw your own conclusion about Mr. Kyle's approach to avoiding the cops with his "Punch and run" philosophy.

"
This is a RUSH transcript from "The O'Reilly Factor," January 05, 2012. This copy may not be in its final form and may be updated.
Watch "The O'Reilly Factor" weeknights at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. ET!
BILL O'REILLY, HOST: "Personal Story" segment tonight, Chief Chris Kyle, a Navy SEAL, is officially the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history. The chief has written a brand-new book called "American Sniper" that chronicles his amazing story in Iraq. I spoke with him last night.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

O'REILLY: So Chief, I read your book. Very entertaining. I recommend it for my audience. I think they'll like it.

First of all, you said you knocked Jesse Ventura to the floor with a punch. Now you don't mention his name, but everybody knows who that is. No. 1, that happened? Knocked him out?

CHRIS KYLE, FORMER NAVY SEAL SNIPER: Well, I knocked him down.

O'REILLY: Why? Why would you punch Ventura?

KYLE: It was in '06. It was the year we lost our first two SEALs in Iraq. We came home. We lost our last guy just before coming home. We had the wake in a SEAL bar there in Coronado, and he was there. He was there for a speaking engagement at a bud ceremony, graduating class.

O'REILLY: Because he was a SEAL, right?

KYLE: Yes.

O'REILLY: He was a Navy SEAL. So he was bad mouthing the war. Right?

KYLE: Bad mouthing the war, bad mouthing Bush. Bad mouthing America.

O'REILLY: And you took exception?

KYLE: I did find a problem with it. The family was there. I asked him to please tone it down, that we did not want to upset the family members of Michael Mansoor.

O'REILLY: Who was killed?

KYLE: Yes, sir. And he earned the Medal of Honor. He jumped on a grenade and saved everybody else around.

O'REILLY: But I want to be clear. Ventura wasn't attacking him at all, verbally bashing him. He was just bashing the whole thing in general?

KYLE: Yes, sir. Until he said we deserve to lose a few guys.

O'REILLY: He said we deserve to lose -- we, the United States...

KYLE: No, he said, "You, y'all deserve to lose a few guys."

O'REILLY: Navy SEALs?

KYLE: I am assuming he was saying that to me.

O'REILLY: Was he drunk?

KYLE: No, sir. I never saw him with a drink in hand at all.

O'REILLY: So once he said, "You deserve to lose a few guys," you popped him?

KYLE: Yes, sir.

O'REILLY: Did he fight back?

KYLE: He went down, the cops were there. I took off running.

O'REILLY: You ran?

KYLE: Yes, sir.

O'REILLY: Did they arrest you?

KYLE: No, sir. I have a master chief that always said, punch and run.

O'REILLY: Now if I ask you a tough question, you going to pop me tonight?

KYLE: No."

If you wish to read the shorter remaining part of the interview it is available.
Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History | Fox News

But as you can see, the FIRST item of interest to O'Reilly was the Ventura story which multiple witnesses and photographic records of Mr Ventura from that day convinced a jury was a slanderous lie from which Mr. Kyle monetarily benefited.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I still don't get it. The words you printed don't seem controversial.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't understand. I haven't seen the movie but know who Chris Kyle is. Was he played by someone who was/is controversial?
No issue with the actor or the movie. The issue is not about Mr. Kyle's actions as a sniper in Iraq. The only issue is whether Mr. Kyle was truthful in his book about the other parts of his life, the other actions. I don't own the book but allegedly there are claims of his being on top of the New Orleans Superdome during Katrina shooting looters and other completely made up stuff. (Hard to believe a book publisher would allow such an easily disproven claim to get into a book.) And you be the judge about the character of a person who uses a sucker punch to the face as a response to hurt feelings then runs away before the cops or his victim have a chance to respond.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.