Anybody watched Nomadland" yet?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2021, 10:44 PM

I agree with another poster, this was not a feel good movie seeing the world in an. RV. She started tome Empire, NV when her husband died and the US Gypsum plant closed. She went from location to location in her van wherever work was available. It was not a feel good movie, but an honest assessment of how some seniors have to live.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
I have told my wife that I f something we’re to happen to me, I hope she meets someone and makes a happy life. I don’t want her to be alone.
Bravo! A real man!
Old 02-26-2021, 04:00 PM

Thanks for sharing those terrific memories!
Old 02-26-2021, 04:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgun View Post
I agree with another poster, this was not a feel good movie seeing the world in an. RV. She started tome Empire, NV when her husband died and the US Gypsum plant closed. She went from location to location in her van wherever work was available. It was not a feel good movie, but an honest assessment of how some seniors have to live.
I also agree it was not a feel good movie; however, it was much happier than the book, which, IMO, was very depressing. There are various levels of RVing. This is scraping by paycheck to paycheck in mostly physically demanding jobs. It’s a whole different world I wasn’t aware existed. It made me count my many blessings.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
I did see the movie. I enjoyed the acting of Frances Mcdormand. I most enjoyed the characters. I assume most of them were actual Nomads they discovered on the road. It was almost like a documentary. It was somewhat sad that some of them had to make by in what they had. However like Fern many had other options but for whatever reason chose to stay on the road. I got the feeling Fern felt guilty if she settled down with the male friend (who offered her a place to live) because her husband had died. It was like she felt she wasn’t supposed to be happy. Pretty sad.
I agree. Also, I felt that she couldn't bring herself to commit again.

I had a friend whose mother deserted the family and took off in a small camper van. She would come back very occasionally to visit her adult daughters, but could not bring herself to stay. It was very sad. She came to our house with her daughter for Thanksgiving dinner one year, having taken on a pseudonym, and talked about how good it was to be able to get away from the world around her by just crawling into her van. I couldn't decide whether to believe her or think she was talking to herself. She had no health insurance and eventually the authorities found her van at a Walmart with her inside, having died from cancer. The daughters had to go clean out the van and dispose of it.

I guess that's why I found the movie so depressing. No friends to rely on, and in Francis Gormand's case, no family at all. I'm left wondering... did she care about that? What was going on that she couldn't accept the friendships that were offered to her for more than a little while at a time.

The movie left me very sad.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
I did see the movie. I enjoyed the acting of Frances Mcdormand. I most enjoyed the characters. I assume most of them were actual Nomads they discovered on the road. It was almost like a documentary. It was somewhat sad that some of them had to make by in what they had. However like Fern many had other options but for whatever reason chose to stay on the road. I got the feeling Fern felt guilty if she settled down with the male friend (who offered her a place to live) because her husband had died. It was like she felt she wasn’t supposed to be happy. Pretty sad.
I agree. Also, I felt that she couldn't bring herself to commit again.

I had a friend whose mother deserted the family and took off in a small camper van. She would come back very occasionally to visit her adult daughters, but could not bring herself to stay. It was very sad. She came to our house with her daughter for Thanksgiving dinner one year, having taken on a pseudonym, and talked about how good it was to be able to get away from the world around her by just crawling into her van. I couldn't decide whether to believe her or think she was talking to herself. She had no health insurance and eventually the authorities found her van at a Walmart with her inside, having died from cancer. The daughters had to go clean out the van and dispose of it.

I guess that's why I found the movie so depressing. No friends to rely on, and in Francis McDormand's case, no family at all. I'm left wondering... did she care about that? What was going on that she couldn't accept the friendships that were offered to her for more than a little while at a time.

The movie left me very sad.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:15 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgun View Post
This guy is one of the main real-life van-dwellers in the movie. I've seen his website for years and I think his mother lives or lived in Lady Lake.

Cheap RV Living.com-Home
Old 02-26-2021, 06:37 PM

Agreed....not a Hallmark Movie by any stretch of the imagination
Old 02-26-2021, 07:40 PM
Sage

I don't like to go to bed sad.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I don't either. In fact at my age, I have enough dark thoughts and worries that come unbidden. I try to avoid sad movies.

Yesterday on this forum I was called an "old cow". I don't understand the world at all anymore.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't either. In fact at my age, I have enough dark thoughts and worries that come unbidden. I try to avoid sad movies.

Yesterday on this forum I was called an "old cow". I don't understand the world at all anymore.
I agree with your last comment.

It’s a shame that some feel the need to judge and call people names.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Don’t read the book.

The employment situations were not nearly as pleasant as portrayed in the movie. I read the first two chapters and that was enough.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:46 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,619 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Don’t read the book.

The employment situations were not nearly as pleasant as portrayed in the movie. I read the first two chapters and that was enough.
I read the whole book just after it was published. The jobs were brutal at Amazon as well as at other employers.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-27-2021, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Stream Nomadland on Hulu | Hulu.com

I will probably see this sometime this week on Hulu if it is still available. Probably with ads though and a lot of them.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,736 Posts

I don’t like sad movies myself, there is enough suffering already, but during the pandemic it kind of makes sense.

Tried to find who said that Gracie. Must have been an oik.
Closed Thread

Tags
job, live, campers, struggling, workers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.