Baby Driver.

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2017, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Thumbs up Baby Driver.

Baby Driver (2017) - Rotten Tomatoes

Anyone seen this yet? Looks like it will be very entertaining.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Default baby driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Baby Driver (2017) - Rotten Tomatoes

Anyone seen this yet? Looks like it will be very entertaining.
I did and would not recommend it. Very violent with lots of senseless killings. Not sure what message it was meant to send.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

I saw it and have the opposite view as "westcoast". I liked it a lot as did my entire family (well, my wife, her sister and brother-in-law, brother and son). I saw it as simple entertainment with challenging relationship complications, but then I'm a "relationship guy".
Old 07-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
I saw it and have the opposite view as "westcoast". I liked it a lot as did my entire family (well, my wife, her sister and brother-in-law, brother and son). I saw it as simple entertainment with challenging relationship complications, but then I'm a "relationship guy".
The violence in movies in 2016 and 2017 does seem to be getting more and more commonplace but movie studios seem to be marketing these movies to kids, teens and adults who are used to playing video games and the like where this is rather ordinary. Many TV shows also seem to get pretty violent like the The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead series.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The first I heard of Baby Driver was about a month ago I read a story about the director. He had stored away a list of songs for the past ten years or so to use sometime in the future in a movie. I had heard of the musical director of the TV show Fargo season 3 did the same. That they heard a tune and wrote it down and then figured out a scene to go with the music. In the case of Baby Driver, a chase sequence to match the music. I have not seen the film, from what little I read and the title includes the word 'Driver', I would think it was a chase type movie.

I wonder before going to the theater to see a film, don't most of us do some sort of research. If the film is violent it's pretty hard not to read that somewhere in some of the reviews. Maybe people go to a film without reading any reviews, I couldn't do that. One thing I do check is the rating on IDMB.com (Internet Movie Data Base), I don't go to the theater if a film has a score below 7, a 6 film maybe be OK to rent or wait for TV and a 5 or lower is don't waste your time. Several posted recently that the Amy Shumer comedy 'Snatched' was awful, I could of predicted that since the IMDB score was 3.6, on the otherhand the score for Baby Driver is 8.4 from 26,000 reviewers, so that's a good indicator that most people really like the film.

This talk of violence and chase scenes remind me of a film I saw recently on HBO or one of the those channels called 'Hardcore Henry'. It doesn't have a main star per say because the film is basically shot from the angle of someone wearing the camera on their head. So you see everything in the film happen to you or you doing something to someone else, a little bit similar to 'Cloverfield', where the film was shot from the angle of someone holding a camcorder. Here's a poster for Hardcore Henry and you can see it's shot from the angle of the shooter. I believe the film was made in Russia and had one actor I recognized, it was Sharlto Copley, the South Africa actor who starred in Chappie and District 9, both sort of wild sci-fi flicks, so he fits right in with this film.

The Villages Florida
Old 07-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The first I heard of Baby Driver was about a month ago I read a story about the director. He had stored away a list of songs for the past ten years or so to use sometime in the future in a movie. I had heard of the musical director of the TV show Fargo season 3 did the same. That they heard a tune and wrote it down and then figured out a scene to go with the music. In the case of Baby Driver, a chase sequence to match the music. I have not seen the film, from what little I read and the title includes the word 'Driver', I would think it was a chase type movie.

I wonder before going to the theater to see a film, don't most of us do some sort of research. If the film is violent it's pretty hard not to read that somewhere in some of the reviews. Maybe people go to a film without reading any reviews, I couldn't do that. One thing I do check is the rating on IDMB.com (Internet Movie Data Base), I don't go to the theater if a film has a score below 7, a 6 film maybe be OK to rent or wait for TV and a 5 or lower is don't waste your time. Several posted recently that the Amy Shumer comedy 'Snatched' was awful, I could of predicted that since the IMDB score was 3.6, on the otherhand the score for Baby Driver is 8.4 from 26,000 reviewers, so that's a good indicator that most people really like the film.

This talk of violence and chase scenes remind me of a film I saw recently on HBO or one of the those channels called 'Hardcore Henry'. It doesn't have a main star per say because the film is basically shot from the angle of someone wearing the camera on their head. So you see everything in the film happen to you or you doing something to someone else, a little bit similar to 'Cloverfield', where the film was shot from the angle of someone holding a camcorder. Here's a poster for Hardcore Henry and you can see it's shot from the angle of the shooter. I believe the film was made in Russia and had one actor I recognized, it was Sharlto Copley, the South Africa actor who starred in Chappie and District 9, both sort of wild sci-fi flicks, so he fits right in with this film.

The Villages Florida
Hardcore Henry is extremely violent as is Free Fire. Sharlto Copley - Rotten Tomatoes They both have Sharlto Copley.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Hardcore Henry is extremely violent as is Free Fire. Sharlto Copley - Rotten Tomatoes They both have Sharlto Copley.
I had no seen Free Fire but I'll keep an eye out for it. I have seen him in Europa Report, it's an excellent sci-fi flick and I wish they made more like that.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Sage

Really enjoyed Baby Driver for the music and action. It is just a movie though.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Sage

I finally saw Baby Driver and I gave it an 8 out of 10, very good. Since one poster didn't like the film, I would mention that if you're a fan of the film Fargo, or the Fargo TV series, the movie Hell or High Water that was out last year about modern day cowboys robbing banks, or the Quentin Tarantino films Kill Bill and Kill Bill 2, if you like those type films, then you will like Baby Driver. If not, then stay away from this film. The violence didn't bother me, I expected it to actually be even more over-the-top like Kill Bill, since the director is using a similar mix-mash soundtrack to enhance the film. It's not a Dog Day Afternoon slow moving type film which becomes a hostage situation and a media circus, no not all. It's a shot em up film with some character development and some unique new features and a great soundtrack.

What hurt the film in TV is it's only playing at SS and it's the type of film that would not appeal to the average SS customer. This should of been at Brownwood or at Lake Sumter at the very least. It's now only being shown 2 times a day at SS, so if you want to see it, go now. It has some star power with Kevin Spacey, Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx and some good young actors as well.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 08-17-2017, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I finally saw Baby Driver and I gave it an 8 out of 10, very good. Since one poster didn't like the film, I would mention that if you're a fan of the film Fargo, or the Fargo TV series, the movie Hell or High Water that was out last year about modern day cowboys robbing banks, or the Quentin Tarantino films Kill Bill and Kill Bill 2, if you like those type films, then you will like Baby Driver. If not, then stay away from this film. The violence didn't bother me, I expected it to actually be even more over-the-top like Kill Bill, since the director is using a similar mix-mash soundtrack to enhance the film. It's not a Dog Day Afternoon slow moving type film which becomes a hostage situation and a media circus, no not all. It's a shot em up film with some character development and some unique new features and a great soundtrack.

What hurt the film in TV is it's only playing at SS and it's the type of film that would not appeal to the average SS customer. This should of been at Brownwood or at Lake Sumter at the very least. It's now only being shown 2 times a day at SS, so if you want to see it, go now. It has some star power with Kevin Spacey, Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx and some good young actors as well.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
The lead actress in this, Lily James, is showing up in a lot of art house like movies which play at the Rialto. She's the waitress in Baby Driver and is in The Exception now and Darkest Hours in a few months. Both are WWII drama pieces.
Closed Thread

Tags
entertaining, driver, baby

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.