A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD Movie (Mr. Rogers)

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD Movie (Mr. Rogers)

Saw it in Brownwood today - theater almost full. Started quite slow for me, and I thought...OhOh, gonna be a bore and very slow. But after 15 minutes it grew on me, and others I spoke with after. Turned out to be WONDERFUL!!! Of course Tom Hanks, you know is great in all films. How they intertwined the story (based on true story) was very interesting all the way through. No spoilers here, simply SO WORTHY of seeing - and truly can leave you with things to consider and think about. Must say it broke out liquid from my eye areas as well.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Good to know.

Thanx
Old 12-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Saw it on a plane, thought it was unbelievably slow. Sleep inducing.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
It was just released 11 days ago. What airline is showing a movie that's still showing its first opening weeks?
Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I saw a movie about Mr. Rogers that was released last year. I am guessing you didn't see the one DeanFl is talking about.

I spent decades as a pre-school teacher. My education is in Early Childhood behavior. I was NOT in day care. I unabashedly love and enjoy and find small children interesting, no FASCINATING and at the age where their lives can be shaped and directed for good. I think that Fred Rogers was a wise and caring and wonderful educator for small children and those who love them. I thought the film might be sort of "sappy" but I was going to see it anyhow because I am a fan of both Tom Hanks and Fred Rogers. It is so nice to see a poster whose views I respect found great merit in it.

Thank you for the recommendation. I don't go to many movies anymore. I will be sure to see it.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I think the case with many Villages, by the time Mr. Rodgers started on TV (1968) I was 18 and it was something I didn't watch. So the movie doesn't mean much to me. However I know from reading the Sun everyday that we have many new Villagers in their 50's and early 60's, so they could probably relate better. If they made a It's Howdy Doody Time Movie, I would probably go. When that show said goodbye for the last time I was 12 and I think I cried.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

If you enjoy only 'shoot 'em ups', killings and slaughter, vulgarity +++, etc etc, DO NOT SEE THIS movie.

...however - for a nice diversion... 1 critic's comment>

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood plays like a wonderfully trippy return to Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, with powerful messages of hope embedded beneath Tom Hanks’ seamless performance of the legend, Fred Rogers.
Directed By, Marielle Heller, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood tells the real-life story of Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod. Inspired by the Esquire article, Can You Say…Hero?, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Heller puts together a story using interesting directing choices and the perfect amount of Mr. Rogers to tell the story of a jaded journalist. Playing Fred Rogers is Tom Hanks. The actor quickly starts to blur the lines between actor and part as he completely melts into the legendary children’s television host.

A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
Critics Consensus
Much like the beloved TV personality that inspired it, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood offers a powerfully affecting message about acceptance and understanding.

96%
TOMATOMETER CRITICS>
Total Count: 256

91%
AUDIENCE SCORE>
Verified Ratings: 6,444

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 12-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

That reminds me

The Villages Florida
Old 12-04-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It was just released 11 days ago. What airline is showing a movie that's still showing its first opening weeks?
The airline wasn't showing it lol.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:22 AM

I saw it and thought as you did. I was surprised when my 2 granddaughters, ages 11 and 14, said they thought it was very good as well. I give it 5 stars.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:02 AM

I agree, it was slow; however, it kept me interested. I think had it not been Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers, maybe not as engaging. Still, you cannot go wrong seeing it if you know anything about Mr. Rogers and place any value on what he has accomplished. I thought it was just wonderful.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:21 AM

I have not seen the movie yet but I was raised in western PA and did my Med Tech technical training at Latrobe Hospital in the hometown of Mr. Rogers. Among other things he donated a lot of money to the hospital to purchase equipment. The lab benefitted from this getting a blood gas analyzer (this was the early 70s so a big thing then) to help diagnose and monitor critical patients.

I think the world would be a much better place if the future leaders of the world (aka kids) would watch someone like Mr. Rogers instead of a bunch of violent video games and egotistical and crude sports and TV personalities.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Yea, I would too, I really don’t believe they saw it on a plane. I do believe they were sleeping but dreaming in a bed somewhere. Airlines I wouldn’t think would get the rights to show a new release. Not saying they couldn’t but I want to fly on that airline. Let me know if this person tell you!
Old 12-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I think the case with many Villages, by the time Mr. Rodgers started on TV (1968) I was 18 and it was something I didn't watch. So the movie doesn't mean much to me. However I know from reading the Sun everyday that we have many new Villagers in their 50's and early 60's, so they could probably relate better. If they made a It's Howdy Doody Time Movie, I would probably go. When that show said goodbye for the last time I was 12 and I think I cried.

The Villages Florida
I agree, but then I had kids so Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers were on their watch list so I watched.....it was a safe place with great messaging. If they had a movie about Princess Summer, Fall, Winter Spring I would watch and would be ok if Mr. Bluster showed up too.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Arre you sure? It just came out in the theaters. What airline?
Closed Thread

Tags
slow, story, worthy, simply, spoilers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.