Black and White Movie, "Sudden Fear," 1952.

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage
Default Black and White Movie, "Sudden Fear," 1952.

Years ago, I saw this movie starring Joan Crawford with Jack Palance and Gloria Grahame. I think I was a teenager and saw it at an afternoon matinee. Although I had no memory of the plot (except that Joan Crawford got herself in a bad situation), I always remembered that she did a great job, along with Jack Palance. He wasn't handsome like many of the leading men of that era, actually seemed a bit "creepy," and those are the roles he played.

From time to time, we have seen classic "Film Noir" movies, but never saw this one offered. Not sure Film Noir was even a genre back then, these movies were just "thrillers." But I always wanted to watch it again, even though sometimes things that impress you at a young age are not that good revisited.

Last week, fed up with clicking through Netflix and Prime, and looking for some drama without a lot of special effects and ear-splitting background noise, I decided to search Amazon and found the movie for rent for $2.99. The other night we put it on. It turned out to be well worthwhile, in our opinion. I liked it as much as I did the first time and my husband was really taken with it, too, the plot, the acting, the props, and the scenes.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on that film. Here's the listing for Sudden Fear on IMDB (Internet Movie Data Base), I actually use that site for my homepage and have rated about 3,000 movies on there.

Sudden Fear (1952) - IMDb

I had not seen that film and just did a search on Directv and it's not coming up in the next 3 weeks. It's kind of film that would be found first on TCM (Turner Classic Movies), if you don't have that channel you need to get it. They show mostly films from the 40's, 50's, 60's and many are in black and white. The one reason Sudden Fear might not get much playtime is according to that site, the film cost $720,000 to make and only grossed $24,000 when it was released. Doesn't it's bad, might of been promoted poorly, maybe with the Korean War going on movies at that time weren't popular.

My most recent favorite from the TCM channel is Laura. I saw it last year, and then recently saw it again on TCM and recorded it and watched a third time last week. It's a 1944 black and white film noir with Dana Andrews as a police detective investigating the disappearance of Laura, played by Jean Tierney. With Clifton Webb and Vincent Price, they make up the four principal characters. I rated it a 10, it has an 8.0 average on IMDB from 42,000 voters. Sudden Fear had a 7.5 rating from 5,100 voters, which is a good score.

The Villages Florida
Old 11-30-2020, 10:29 AM
Sage

Thanks, John, for looking up "Sudden Fear" and providing background on it.

We used to watch Turner Classic Movies regularly when we had cable TV. In fact, it was about the only channel we watched for entertainment, that and PBS, since there were no distracting commercials. We gave up cable over five years ago and have relied on Netflix and Prime Video, for movies. We don't mind renting occasionally, since we've saved a lot on cable fees over the years.

I agree with you about "Laura." It is an excellent movie. Well worth watching again.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

On Saturday night at midnight and again at 10 am on Sunday they have noir alley where there is a talk before and after the movie on TCM , I’ve seen Laura at least 20 times and I enjoy it every time , the clothes , the witty dialogue, it’s NewYork chic being invaded by a working class cop
Old 11-30-2020, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
On Saturday night at midnight and again at 10 am on Sunday they have noir alley where there is a talk before and after the movie on TCM , I’ve seen Laura at least 20 times and I enjoy it every time , the clothes , the witty dialogue, it’s NewYork chic being invaded by a working class cop
I always liked Clifton Webb since I saw him in Cheaper By the Dozen when I was a kid and then later the John Phillip Sousa story. Jean Tierney was great in the movie with Rex Harrison where he was a lighthouse ghost. Vincent Price is so out of character in Laura playing a love interest and Dana Andrews I really liked him in everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B
We used to watch Turner Classic Movies regularly when we had cable TV. In fact, it was about the only channel we watched for entertainment, that and PBS, since there were no distracting commercials. We gave up cable over five years ago and have relied on Netflix and Prime Video, for movies. We don't mind renting occasionally, since we've saved a lot on cable fees over the years.
I just looked it up and if you ever decide to stream the live channels with a Fire Stick or Roku Stick, I just bought a Roku Stick at Best Buy last week for $27 just to have, and there a lot of free stuff, but I have Directv for my main watching. However, TCM you can watch on Amazon Fire TV with one of these streaming services: Sling TV, Hulu Live TV or YouTube TV. Just download the app for the service you're using from the Amazon App Store, and you'll be all set.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:04 AM
Sage

Thanks again. We've used Roku all these years, even though we have Smart TVs.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:23 AM
Default Channel 65.2

‘Noir to Die For’ every Thursday all day and night, and also Sunday night from 8p. If you have a local channel connector plugged into your direct tv box you can record the new batch of about a dozen noirs shown every month. My attic antenna gets 65.2 good.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,062 Times in 531 Posts

I have a subscription to HBO Max, I watch it on my Firestick. TCM is included.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:50 AM
Location: Chicago area but spend a month every year in The Villages

Laura is one of my favorite films. Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews are great together, and Clifton Webb as Waldo Lydecker was fantastic.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

GREAT THREAD! thanks!
Old 12-01-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevibe View Post
‘Noir to Die For’ every Thursday all day and night, and also Sunday night from 8p. If you have a local channel connector plugged into your direct tv box you can record the new batch of about a dozen noirs shown every month. My attic antenna gets 65.2 good.
Thank you! We have an attic antenna too and it used to be good, but now not so much. I just checked and Channel 65.2 comes in really good. There's an old black and white movie showing on it right now. Will be sure to check it on Thursday for "Noir."
Old 12-01-2020, 03:51 PM
Default 65.2 Thursday movie listings

Movies! TV Network | Schedule
Old 12-02-2020, 09:08 AM

The lighthouse ghost movie might be The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

You have to look at Vincent Price before and after the horror movies to appreciate him (I know it’s hard) he played in some pretty good movies and theater and he had been in early life a member of Orson Wells mercury theater , as for palance try to find the movie the big knife it’s Palance as you’ve never seen him as an actor tormented for selling out his talent for money
Old 12-03-2020, 04:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
You have to look at Vincent Price before and after the horror movies to appreciate him (I know it’s hard) he played in some pretty good movies and theater and he had been in early life a member of Orson Wells mercury theater , as for palance try to find the movie the big knife it’s Palance as you’ve never seen him as an actor tormented for selling out his talent for money
Price is one of my all time faves. love his work in horror and more. Palance is always so intense-loved his Dracula.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, movie, plot, film, noir

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.