Bohemian Rhapsody

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
If you are a fan of Queen and Freddie Mercury you will love this show. If you are not, God help you!
Thanks for pointing this out, as a huge Queen fan this will go on the must check out list.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We usually do not go to the movies unless it is something that really appeals to us.

We've seen this one three times and have nothing but Love for the story and The Music. Live Aid was outstanding. What a shame it ended as it did.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You're right, they weren't the biggest thing at Live Aid. I guess Plant & Page was, but their performance I think was lacking. Mick Jagger and Tina Turner was also highly acclaimed, but I found boring. After I recorded the show I remember re-watching David Bowie and the Queen performances the most. I even became a van of Ultravox, in fact most of the performances in the UK were superior to those at Philadelphia.

The MTV VJ's also hammed it up quite a bit trying to interject themselves whenever, or Chevy Chase or some celeb walking on. Personally I enjoyed that concert a lot, but the Wembley performances were tops and Philly was just not the same. I've seen Journey with Steve Perry, Styx twice in their heyday, Pink Floyd, Grand Funk, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Bon Jovi, Uriah Heep, Kansas, Foreigner, etc, etc, and none of them are like Queen. Like I said, my biggest regret was the Queen concert in St. Petersburg in 1975 being cancelled just as I was getting ready to go.

About the film I'll have to disagree, but then again I was watching for the music, not so much the story. I thought the beginning was great, it laid a foundation for the band. Although I believe Freddie was already in a band when he approached Smile. I was surprised how big a part his wife Mary had in the film, but that's a part of his life that gets omitted. His fake teeth were a bit of a problem, but if you remember in real life, his teeth were big. If anyone wants to hear Queen music performed on screen, see this film. I can remember in high school going to the movies in the 60's and watching films of just bands in concerts. I now have over 35 chapters on youtube of probably 200 videos each of various segments of music, my 75" TV and surround system is almost like being there.
Didn't Paul McCartney play Live Aid? Or am I thinking of another big charity concert?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
If you look at pictures of a younger Freddie Mercury you may notice that his overbite looks much more pronounced than his later pictures. I believe there are two reasons for this. 1. as he aged his face filled out as most naturally do, and therefore the teeth become less pronounced as they do not grow. 2. He was self conscious of his appearance and therefore he tended to push out his lower jaw more and smile big less.
Queen was not the biggest recording artist(s) at the time, but they were arguably the biggest concert draw in the world and had the most dedicated fans.
Deadheads and Parrotheads might take issue with that.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Thumbs up Full Live Aid performance on Bohemian Rhapsody Blu-Ray.

Bohemian Rhapsody Blu-ray Will Include Full Live-Aid Performance | Collider

I probably would have bought this anyway to get a close look at the details in this movie.

Quote:
Bohemian Rhapsody Arrives on Digital and Movies Anywhere January 22 and 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD February 12

Includes Complete “Live Aid” Movie Performance Not Seen in Theater
Old 01-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-21-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I believe Paul closed the show in London before they switched totally to Philly and he played piano and sang "Let it Be". I hate to say this, but that is probably my least favorite Beatles song, maybe because it gets played the most. If I remember correctly everybody came back on stage to sing along with the chorus.

I almost forgot U2, they were outstanding at the London show. They were probably the hottest act in 1985, I actually saw them in Jacksonville about that time. So David Bowie, Queen and U2 I remember the best, from the American side, nothing stands out to me.

In America the Cars who we almost never see live, played, as well as the Beach Boys, Hall & Oates and they threw in some 1980's acts like The Thompson Twins and Madona and the VJ's built up the Mick Jagger & Tina Turner duo coming up along with Plant and Page. At the time I thought that was terrible they didn't ask John Paul Jones to come with them. I remember reading that he was never asked and would played, so we would at least have 3/4 of Zeppelin. They played Rock N' Roll which I find to be the least sounding Zeppelin song, it's sort of like a song anybody could play. Whereas The Immigrant Song or something like that would of been great.
Live Aid
- YouTube

There are some Live Aid YouTubes out there.

Live Aid
- YouTube

Live Aid- Queen- Full Set HQ - YouTube
Old 01-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Sage

Last edited by John_W; 04-21-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Gold member

My votes for best movies I have seen this past year:
1/ A Star Is Born
2/ Green Book
3/ Bohemian Rhapsody
4/ First Man
5/ Mule
Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 AM
Gold member

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story! Words always remembered by Hollywood producers.
Closed Thread

Tags
love, show, god, mercury, rhapsody

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.