Interstellar

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Thumbs up Interstellar

Saw Interstellar today. I found it to be a very enjoyable movie, with a few flaws. The special effects were awesome! The music was exactly perfect for each scene. I won't go into the minor flaws for fear of giving something away but they weren't enough to really detract from enjoying this movie. My biggest complaint was that the dialogue was a bit trite and cliched in spots.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Veteran member

I was fortunate enough to see this the way the director intended - on an IMAX screen with full 15 perf 70 mm film. It was only shown this way in about 3 dozen theaters in the world and I happened to be visiting family in Vegas where there is a theater that was doing so.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, but then I'm a huge SciFi fan and my favorite film of all time is 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I've seen over 2 dozen times at movie theaters, including Cinerama theaters. I really enjoy a SciFi film that makes you think and this one did make me think about it for days afterward. I'm a sucker for time travel movies and the branches and loops this one went through were a delight to work through.

Visually, the film was often spectacular, especially the view of the black hole and the depiction of time as a physical dimension. I also loved the robots. I've seen a lot of robots in films and TV shows over the years and I've never seen anything like these. They fascinated me. And the view inside the cylindrical space habitats were great!

The one thing I found a bit off-putting was the soundtrack. Not the music, which was interesting, or even the mix that had dialog lost in the music (which the director intended) but the insanely high volume. Now, I quite like the loud bits in many films and I listen to music and movies at volumes higher than some (my wife, anyways) might like, but the IMAX sound system was cranked up to the point where the organ notes felt like an elephant sitting on my chest. I was pounded down into the seat.

Still, I quite enjoyed the film and would actually have liked it to have gone on even longer. I wouldn't mind an extended version being released on Blu-ray at all (though I haven't heard of that being an option). I will definitely be buying this one on Blu-Ray to enjoy several more times at home.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.