Classic Movies - Reviews and Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Sage
Default Classic Movies - Reviews and Discussion

NOTE: The following is a near-duplicate of a post from another thread that dealt with a specific movie. A couple of folks in that thread made the very good suggestion of having a thread to discuss old and classic movies in general, instead of a separate thread for each movie. So post your reviews and discussion of classic movies here. This should be fun if you're a classic movie lover like I am! I'll get it started...

####################################

Well, here's the first one...

The Lady Killers...yes...the 1955 version...

The Ladykillers (1955) - Rotten Tomatoes

Kinda cute with good some good characters...like Peter Sellers before he was Inspector Clouseau. But also very corny by today's standards. I will say this, I didn't suspect the direction the movie would take until the very end.

(Warning: I'm a pretty tough rater. So don't let the following relatively low rating keep you from giving it a try...heheh.)

PB Rating: 6/10

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-15-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

If you appreciate old movies, you have to love Turner Classic Movies (TCM).
Old 09-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
If you appreciate old movies, you have to love Turner Classic Movies (TCM).
Absolutely!

That’s where I watched The Lady Killers. And it’s where I’m about to watch Dial M for Murder, likely the next movie I’ll post about here.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Great site for old movies and actors:
Greenbriar Picture Shows

My otherhalf loves Turner Movies and wants to throw some names into your thread:

African Queen with Humphrey Bogart and Kathrine Hepburn ... never forget seeing him get down into the water and pull her boat then get out covered in Leeches.

Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre in The Maltese Falcon.

Humphrey Bogart in the Treasure of Sierra Madre

Richard Widmark in just about anything

Humphry Bogart & Ingrid Bergman in Casa Blanca

James Cagney in Public Enemy, is that the one where he squashes a grapefruit into a girl's face?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-15-2018, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

If 'Cult/Campy Classics,' regardless of critical reviews are included....then I present;

VAMP (click here)

I cracked up all the way through this corny & obscure (OK, VERY obscure. ) movie.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Sage

Reminiscing about those VHS movies picked up at Blockbuster (anyone remember them? ), on the way home from work...here's a great movie that's appropriate for the whole family.

The Last Starfighter
Old 09-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Sage

Oh man! We’re moving now!! Look out Thread About Nothing!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Oh man! We’re moving now!! Look out Thread About Nothing!!!
This thread won't take much, to quickly surpass the number of 'different/unique' posters...than that other one.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Default The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - Rotten Tomatoes

This is probably my favorite movie.

Shane (1953) - Rotten Tomatoes

Shane and The Oxbow Incident are also up there in the list of my most liked Westerns. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943) - Rotten Tomatoes

Walter Van Tilburg Clark - Wikipedia

The Ox-Bow Incident has a lot of University of Nevada, Reno connections.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-15-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Reminiscing about those VHS movies picked up at Blockbuster (anyone remember them? ), on the way home from work...here's a great movie that's appropriate for the whole family.

The Last Starfighter
Just watched this again this past summer. Still enjoyable.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:31 PM
Veteran member

1951 Westward the Women
Old 09-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

While were naming Humphrey Bogart films, one of my favorites is Key Largo (1948) directed by John Huston. Bogie visits Key Largo to honor the memory of a WWII buddy who died in action. Soon they learn a hurricane is coming their way, and Edward G. Robinson and his band of outlaws pick the same motel to ride out the storm. Soon all hell breaks loose and it's not just from the storm. 8 out of 10 stars.

The annual Bogart festival held in Key Largo is because of this film.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-15-2018, 06:17 PM
Sage

My favorite all time film and it's from that great film era of the 70's, I probably have 15 or more favorites from that decade. It's Chinatown (1974) starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway, directed by Roman Polanski. Even though the film was made in the early 70's, they picked all the right locations in LA and with terrific music score, you'll feel just like it's 1940's. Even though it's in color, it's a subdued coloring that doesn't get in the way. The film won Oscars for Best Writing Robert Towne, Best Picture, Best Actor in a Leading Role Jack Nicholson, Best Actress in a Leading Role Faye Dunaway, Best Director Roman Polanski, Best Cinematography John A. Alonzo and nominated in five other categories.

I did not see the film in the theater, my first time was 1980 on a RCA Video-disc player. I bought the film and between the disc and on TV, I probably have seen Chinatown no less than 50 times. It's a complicated story, it's well acted, it has suspense, intrigue, murder and mayhem all in one film. Jack has three great films, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Shinning and Chinatown. In Chinatown Jack plays a private detective hired by the water commissioner's wife to spy on her cheating husband. We soon find out that all is not as it seems.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Sage

Man, this is great. I’ve already added so many films to my must-see list!
Old 09-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Sage

Since I mentioned that the 70's is my favorite era for films and I have at least 15 favorites. I have already listed Chinatown, here are the others that I give 9 or 10 stars to;

Network (1976) - about network TV going to extremes to get ratings, and a news anchor who gets up while on the air and tells everyone, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore". The ratings go through the roof and it's the beginning of reality TV.

The Exorcist (1973) I remember waiting in a long line at the mall to see this film. At the time it was the scariest movie ever.

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) A true story of two bungling bank robbers and a standoff with the cops in NYC. Stars Al Pacino and John Cazale who died of cancer just a couple of years later. John was only in 5 films. The Godfather, Godfather II, Dog Day Afternoon, The Conversation and The Deer Hunter. He was engaged to Meryl Streep and became sick during the filming of The Deer Hunter. What a way to go out, not a bad film in the bunch. This is a film I can watch over and over.

All The President's Men (1976) Starring Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford. True story of the Washington Post exposing the Watergate scandal. Tension, intrigue and mystery, it has it all.

Jaws (1975) I don't think I need to say much, an instant classic. Too band actor Robert Shaw (the skipper) died so young and couldn't give us anymore classics.

Taxi Driver (1976) After The Godfather, the film that put DeNiro on the map and Martin Scorsese as a director. Crazed Vietnam vet goes too far, most famous line "You talking to me".

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) Jack Nicholson in an institution for the insane. Great acting and good against evil with Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher) always finding ways to enforce the rules.

Heaven Can Wait (1978) Probably my second favorite behind Chinatown, I've seen this one also no less than 50 times. Warren Beatty as the backup QB for the LA Rams when he's killed while out riding his bike. Unfortunately his angel made the mistake of taking him out too soon, and due to his quick reflexes he would lived. Now the angel's supervisor (James Mason) must find him a suitable body to put him back on earth. They settle on a billionaire who has plenty of money but a lousy body. My favorite is Jack Warden as the Rams trainer, he's the only one that knows who the Billionaire really is. This is a remake, I believe there was two before, I've seen the 1943 version and it's amazing how Warren Beatty made that film into a masterpiece.

American Graffiti (1973) The film that launched Richard Dreyfus career and George Lucas as a director. They filmed mostly at night in a small California city when they could control the locations. As it was, it was perfect since the film mostly centered on teens cruising at night listening to early rock on the Wolfman Jack radio show. If you love late 50's and early 60's music, old cars and drag racing, and trying to outsmart the cops, see this film if you haven't already.

The Sting (1973) As a follow up to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Paul Newman and Robert Redford play con-men who love to pull elaborate schemes to con even the smartest, in this case, it's Robert Shaw. Set in time during the 30's or thereabouts, Newman & Redford fit right in and surrounded with a cast of journeymen actors, it keeps you guessing all the way through.

That's all for now, I'll provide more at a later time. i don't think I need to include the Godfather or Godfather II since I don't believe there is a human who hasn't seen those films.
Closed Thread

Tags
movies, thread, rating, movie, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.