Classic Movies - Reviews and Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 AM

I'm a life-long sci-fi fan, so a few of my favorite classics are: Silent Running (1972), Soylent Green (1973) and The Omega Man (1971) both starring Charlton Heston, and 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968), which really needs to be seen on a big screen to be really appreciated.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Since I mentioned that the 70's is my favorite era for films and I have at least 15 favorites. I have already listed Chinatown, here are the others that I give 9 or 10 stars to;

Network (1976) - about network TV going to extremes to get ratings, and a news anchor who gets up while on the air and tells everyone, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore". The ratings go through the roof and it's the beginning of reality TV.

The Exorcist (1973) I remember waiting in a long line at the mall to see this film. At the time it was the scariest movie ever.

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) A true story of two bungling bank robbers and a standoff with the cops in NYC. Stars Al Pacino and John Cazale who died of cancer just a couple of years later. John was only in 5 films. The Godfather, Godfather II, Dog Day Afternoon, The Conversation and The Deer Hunter. He was engaged to Meryl Streep and became sick during the filming of The Deer Hunter. What a way to go out, not a bad film in the bunch. This is a film I can watch over and over.

All The President's Men (1976) Starring Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford. True story of the Washington Post exposing the Watergate scandal. Tension, intrigue and mystery, it has it all.

Jaws (1975) I don't think I need to say much, an instant classic. Too band actor Robert Shaw (the skipper) died so young and couldn't give us anymore classics.

Taxi Driver (1976) After The Godfather, the film that put DeNiro on the map and Martin Scorsese as a director. Crazed Vietnam vet goes too far, most famous line "You talking to me".

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) Jack Nicholson in an institution for the insane. Great acting and good against evil with Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher) always finding ways to enforce the rules.

Heaven Can Wait (1978) Probably my second favorite behind Chinatown, I've seen this one also no less than 50 times. Warren Beatty as the backup QB for the LA Rams when he's killed while out riding his bike. Unfortunately his angel made the mistake of taking him out too soon, and due to his quick reflexes he would lived. Now the angel's supervisor (James Mason) must find him a suitable body to put him back on earth. They settle on a billionaire who has plenty of money but a lousy body. My favorite is Jack Warden as the Rams trainer, he's the only one that knows who the Billionaire really is. This is a remake, I believe there was two before, I've seen the 1943 version and it's amazing how Warren Beatty made that film into a masterpiece.

American Graffiti (1973) The film that launched Richard Dreyfus career and George Lucas as a director. They filmed mostly at night in a small California city when they could control the locations. As it was, it was perfect since the film mostly centered on teens cruising at night listening to early rock on the Wolfman Jack radio show. If you love late 50's and early 60's music, old cars and drag racing, and trying to outsmart the cops, see this film if you haven't already.

The Sting (1973) As a follow up to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Paul Newman and Robert Redford play con-men who love to pull elaborate schemes to con even the smartest, in this case, it's Robert Shaw. Set in time during the 30's or thereabouts, Newman & Redford fit right in and surrounded with a cast of journeymen actors, it keeps you guessing all the way through.

That's all for now, I'll provide more at a later time. i don't think I need to include the Godfather or Godfather II since I don't believe there is a human who hasn't seen those films.
Those are all great picks.

This 1976 movie is work a look if you have not seen it or another one if you have. It is John Wayne's last movie shot near Carson City, Nevada. The Shootist (1976) - Rotten Tomatoes

John Wayne’s legacy lives on in Carson City | NevadaAppeal.com

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-16-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
I'm a life-long sci-fi fan, so a few of my favorite classics are: Silent Running (1972), Soylent Green (1973) and The Omega Man (1971) both starring Charlton Heston, and 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968), which really needs to be seen on a big screen to be really appreciated.
Speaking of Sci-Fi.

Given that we're in a 55+ community, this 'old' cult movie...might result in some interesting comments.

Wild In The Streets

And if you're interested in really surprising/weird endings, there's always....

A Boy and His Dog

Old 09-16-2018, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Peter O'Toole in Laurence of Arabia 1962

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-17-2018, 02:08 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Anything with Katherine Hepburn in it. Ditto Barbara Stanwick.

Other favorites:

Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum

Hellfighters with John Wayne

The Dirty Dozen (think I’ve seen it about 50 times)

Blazing Saddles

Silver Streak (don’t think I’ve ever laughed as hard as when Gene Wilder tried to walk black and talk jive)

Anything created by Mel Brooks

Earth Girls Are Easy

Mars Attack

The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai (GREAT sci fi comedy)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-17-2018, 02:10 AM
Sage

Oh, and totally agree that A Boy and his Dog is a fun movie.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-17-2018, 02:10 AM
Sage

And let’s not ever forget Harvey.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:03 AM
Sage

I was also a huge fan of musicals ............

Gene Kelly in An American in Paris, Singing in the Rain, On the Town. I also loved Fred Astaire movies.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-17-2018, 06:11 AM
Sage

Classic movie site with trailers:

Gene Kelly Movies List: Best to Worst

Old 09-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Sage

Wow. My list is growing fast due to this thread. It's great!

Here's my 2nd quickie review...

Dial M for Murder (1954)

Dial M for Murder (1954) - Rotten Tomatoes

Less action, relies more on set and dialogue than most Hitchcock films. Fun to try and follow and predict. Relies a lot on details that almost get a bit tedious after a while. Grace Kelly is beautiful of course. I still think of Ray Milland and Robert Cummings as more TV than movie stars. Not my favorite Hitchcock film by a long ways, but worth a watch. Reasonably satisfying overall.

PB Rating: 7/10

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-17-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Wow. My list is growing fast due to this thread. It's great!

Here's my 2nd quickie review...

Dial M for Murder (1954)

Dial M for Murder (1954) - Rotten Tomatoes

Less action, relies more on set and dialogue than most Hitchcock films. Fun to try and follow and predict. Relies a lot on details that almost get a bit tedious after a while. Grace Kelly is beautiful of course. I still think of Ray Milland and Robert Cummings as more TV than movie stars. Not my favorite Hitchcock film by a long ways, but worth a watch. Reasonably satisfying overall.

PB Rating: 7/10
Yes, good scary movie. Worth watching. What was the movie with the woman who is blind in the house alone when someone breaks in to murder her?

Old 09-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Yes, good scary movie. Worth watching. What was the movie with the woman who is blind in the house alone when someone breaks in to murder her?
It's fresh in my memory since I saw it again about six months ago on TCM, "Wait Until Dark" (1967). I don't want to sound a snob, but it really wasn't that good, I rated it a 5 out of 10. It had too much stuff going in and out of that apartment. Unfortunately Hitchcock didn't direct it, in the hands of a good director it could of been something. Alan Arkin is much better in a comedy such as The In-Laws with Peter Falk or the dark comedy Catch 22 as Yossarian, not the villain as he was in this flick.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Sage

My wife and I are pretty addicted to TCM. We’ve recorded many ranging from classics like Casablanca to Marx brothers to some of the old Boston Blackie, Saint, and Falcon series. Sometimes we find it easier to fall asleep with these black and white movies on since the range of brightness from one scene to the next is less than the color ones.

It’s amazing how some of these movies have casts including several of Hollywood’s finest. Philadelphia Story is one as is Arsenic and Old Lace. We also enjoy spotting a character actor in one movie that we’ve seen in another even if a different genre.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
... We also enjoy spotting a character actor in one movie that we’ve seen in another even if a different genre.
I get a big kick out of spotting renowned actors when they were first starting out, usually in bit parts, sometimes uncredited. The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) is a great tool for movie and tv information, including full-cast listings.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
It's fresh in my memory since I saw it again about six months ago on TCM, "Wait Until Dark" (1967). I don't want to sound a snob, but it really wasn't that good, I rated it a 5 out of 10. It had too much stuff going in and out of that apartment. Unfortunately Hitchcock didn't direct it, in the hands of a good director it could of been something. Alan Arkin is much better in a comedy such as The In-Laws with Peter Falk or the dark comedy Catch 22 as Yossarian, not the villain as he was in this flick.

The Villages Florida
OK John W now I have another conundrum for you .... vaguely remember a British Fortress under siege and when you look out from the fortress all you can see is either Masai Warriors or Watusi Warriors stamping their feet on the ground and making a pounding sound which scared the h... out of the British Force. This is not King Solomon's Mine. I need to get it out of my brain .....

Closed Thread

Tags
movies, thread, rating, movie, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.