Classic Movies - Reviews and Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2018, 04:36 PM

I believe the movie is Zulu
Old 09-17-2018, 05:17 PM
Sage

"The Best Years Of Our Lives" with Myrna Loy, Frederick March, Dana Andrews and Theresa Wright. Directed by Billy Wilder. It's about servicemen returning from WW II and the difficult adjustments.

Bette Davis called the greatest film ever made by then, she was in love with Billy Wilder.

"The Thin Man" with William Powell and Myrna Loy. Most people thought they were married in real life.

"The Big Sleep" with Bogie and Bacall. Also Martha Vickers, who was Mickey Rooney second wife.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZPOP View Post
I believe the movie is Zulu
Yes, thank you Zulu ........... I think my otherhalf has it in his collection.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
"The Best Years Of Our Lives" with Myrna Loy, Frederick March, Dana Andrews and Theresa Wright. Directed by Billy Wilder. It's about servicemen returning from WW II and the difficult adjustments.

Bette Davis called the greatest film ever made by then, she was in love with Billy Wilder.
What made that film even greater was the actor who played Homer who had the metal hooks, was not really an actor but a veteran who had lost his hands during WWII. That was his first movie role and he won the Oscar for best supporting actor.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Since Dana Andrews is in 'The Best Years of Our Lives', that reminds me of the movie that the comedy 'Airplane' (1980) was based on. That was the 1957 film 'Zero Hour' with Dana Andrews. The producers of Airplane bought the rights for $2500 and much of the comedy uses the same dialogue as the original, which wasn't a comedy. That's shows how presentation and the way something is said, makes all the difference. Here's a link to a video that has the two films side-by-side.

Side-by-side comparison: Zero Hour! (1957) Vs Airplane! (1980) - YouTube

The Villages Florida
Old 09-25-2018, 02:09 PM
Sage

One more very oldie classic...

Harvey (1950)

Harvey (1950) - Rotten Tomatoes

Another movie that relies just a little too much on cute. James Stewart is so perfect for the part he somewhat salvages it. I can see why it's considered a classic, but it was simply not my cup of tea. Even my moderately good rating is largely because of Stewart.

PB Rating: 7/10

NOTE: I've done a few very old classics. And very goodie-goodie ones at that. I don't want anyone to think this thread is limited to just those types, so I'm going to change things up a bit. My next review(s) will not be quite as much oldies...and maybe not even that goodie-goodie. But they will still be classics...even if some might be considered cult classics.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

James Stewart PB Rating: 7/10

NOTE: I've done a few very old classics. And very goodie-goodie ones at that. I don't want anyone to think this thread is limited to just those types, so I'm going to change things up a bit. My next review(s) will not be quite as much oldies...and maybe not even that goodie-goodie. But they will still be classics...even if some might be considered cult classics.
Well, if you are going to talk James Stewart, what about him and Kim Novak in Vertigo. Great movie, and I loved James Stewart - . So quiet and such a gentleman. So if we are going to talk James Stewart, what about The Man who knew Too Much, aka Que Sera Sera with Stewart and Doris Day. That was a good very suspenseful movie. I could watch that over and over. There was a female actress in that who had eyes that went in the wrong direction which made it even more frightening.

Keep them coming P.Bear. We need some light discussion to take our minds off all the heavy stuff going on right now.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-25-2018, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Well, if you are going to talk James Stewart...I loved James Stewart - . So quiet and such a gentleman...
I agree. And funny too when he chooses to be. At least one more Stewart movie review will be coming soon...North by Northwest. (I’ll be staring at Mt. Rushmore in about three weeks.)

Quote:
...Keep them coming P.Bear. We need some light discussion to take our minds off all the heavy stuff going on right now.
Oh , I will!
Old 09-25-2018, 04:04 PM
Location: Springfield Oh Phoenix Az Melbourne Fl Lexington Ky

One of mine is No Time for Sergeants. Andy Griffith as Will Stockdale.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I agree. And funny too when he chooses to be. At least one more Stewart movie review will be coming soon...North by Northwest. (I’ll be staring at Mt. Rushmore in about three weeks.)
Oh , I will!
North by Northwest, was that where he was in the wheelchair by the open window?

Old 09-25-2018, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by

And if you're interested in really surprising/weird endings, there's always....

[URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072730/"
A Boy and His Dog [/URL]
Loaded up my Amazon Fire with a few Sci-Fi classics for a long plane trip including above. Written by recently passed away Harlan Ellison. Who also penned the greatest ever episode of Star Trek.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Forbidden Planet
Silent Running
Total Recall
THEM!
A Clockwork Orange
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Planet of the Apes 1
Barbarella
Dark City
War of the Worlds 1

Her's the list I based my selections on:
110 Best Science Fiction Movies of All Time << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

Last edited by SFSkol; 09-25-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: It was a VERY long flight.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
North by Northwest, was that where he was in the wheelchair by the open window?
That was Rear Window.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Loaded up my Amazon Fire with a few Sci-Fi classics ...

THEM!

Really good little sci-fi movie with some great character actors.

For some reason, I'll always remember... "Make me a sergeant in charge of the booze!"
Old 10-03-2018, 07:51 AM

Taxi Driver one of my favorite classic movie
Old 10-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Sage

My favorite Humphrey Bogart movie is Petrifiied Forest. Can’t say why, it’s just so unlikely that he would be at a gas station in the desert
Ecclesiasites 3:12

Last edited by jblum315; 10-03-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Eror
Closed Thread

Tags
movies, thread, rating, movie, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.