Apocalypse Now (1979) 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I never looked for a behind the scenes video, that was interesting and they considered it to be the best horror comedy film ever. I knew I liked the first time I saw it, and being fans of Abbott & Costello didn't hurt.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
What constitutes a classic movie? I think the movie, Powder, is a classic. Filmed in 1995.

Powder Official 1995 Movie Trailer - YouTube
P.Bear had this sentence in his original post:

"One final reminder..."classic" movies don't have to be really, really old. I won't say a number, but if it's been around a while, and has established itself as a very good movie that will pass the test of time, then it qualifies."

Your movie has been around since 1995 so I would certainly think enough people have viewed it to make it a classic. I think the classic movie title is how it affects the person who saw the movie and how much it stayed with you. I don't know your movie at all and would be interested in hearing more from you and how it affected you. Personally, I am still amazed at the power of Bogart's movies, especially African Queen, Treasure of Sierra Madras, and his others. They will always be classics for me due to the nature of the story and for his acting abilities. Yankee Doodle Dandy is highly rated as a classic, but I did not care for it at all. So classic is in the eye of the beholder.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-10-2019, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
What constitutes a classic movie? I think the movie, Powder, is a classic. Filmed in 1995.

Powder Official 1995 Movie Trailer - YouTube
I just watched your YouTube trailer and I can only say WOW - it looks like a great movie and it obviously made a huge impression on you ..... that's a classic!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
I remember Powder but never got around to seeing it, I guess my timing wasn't right, but when it comes by again I'll catch it.

I listed about ten of my classic favorites from the 70's on the first thread. So I'll include a couple of more recent films. These two I've seen again in the last year, both starring Nicholas Cage. Nowadays I wouldn't go out of my way to see a Nick Cage film, he's pretty much sold himself out. I think they said he buys houses and islands all over the world, so he signs on for any film that pays him $10 million to pay the bills.

Back when he was a real actor, I actually bought his first film, "Birdy" on VHS for $50 simply because Peter Gabriel did the soundtrack, at the time I had no idea who he was. Next I saw him in Raising Arizona, which I'm sure everyone has seen.

Move ahead a couple of years to 1988 and The Kiss of the Vampire. This is the movie where you probably heard Cage actually eats a live cockroach. He plays an executive at a publishing company, who sort of goes off the deep end. With every scene he becomes a little more agitated and eventually thinks he's become a vampire. He initially takes out his frustration on his secretary, played Maria Conchita Alonso, who he gives jobs to do that are almost impossible. If you like films like Christian Bale in American Psycho or the new film Joker, you'll really like this film. I actually had to watch it about three times to really came to grips with the film.

In the beginning

The Villages Florida

Eventually he becomes

The Villages Florida

The other Nick Cage film is from 1993, it's Red Rock West. I actually have it on my DVR and have shown it to a couple of people recently and they both loved it. This is a modern day western and hitman movie. What makes this film so great is the other actors, Dennis Hopper playing a crazy hitman, the late great J.T. Walsh as the town sheriff and Lara Flynn Boyle as the love interest. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. Even though I know the outcome, I can still watch this film again and again.

Dennis Hopper in his black western outfit, he's a show-stopper

The Villages Florida

Nick Cage and Lara Flynn Boyle

The Villages Florida

The late J.T. Walsh, sheriff, bar owner and bad guy

The Villages Florida
Old 10-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
As soon as I read this suggestion, this movie came to mind. I saw the film in the 60's on some creature feature and try and catch it whenever it is run. The movie is "Abbott & Costello Meets Frankenstein" (1948). What's so neat is it has all the major monsters with the original actors playing their parts. The Wolfman with Lon Chaney Jr, Dracula with Bela Lugosi and Glenn Strange as Frankenstein who had played Frankenstein after Boris Karloff became weary of the character in 1944.

The film was well acted, the characters play their part straight and I believe it's Abbott & Costello's best film. It's a spoof but a very good one. So many others liked it so much, that Abbott & Costello made a whole series of films about meeting other monsters.

The Villages Florida

Old 10-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
P.Bear had this sentence in his original post:

"One final reminder..."classic" movies don't have to be really, really old. I won't say a number, but if it's been around a while, and has established itself as a very good movie that will pass the test of time, then it qualifies."

Your movie has been around since 1995 so I would certainly think enough people have viewed it to make it a classic. I think the classic movie title is how it affects the person who saw the movie and how much it stayed with you. I don't know your movie at all and would be interested in hearing more from you and how it affected you. Personally, I am still amazed at the power of Bogart's movies, especially African Queen, Treasure of Sierra Madras, and his others. They will always be classics for me due to the nature of the story and for his acting abilities. Yankee Doodle Dandy is highly rated as a classic, but I did not care for it at all. So classic is in the eye of the beholder.
Love the Humphrey Bogart movies you mentioned along with The Caine Mutiny.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 PM
Sage

I’ll wait a day or maybe two to see how the poll goes. So if you don’t want to watch Frankenstein, you must vote now!!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I’ll wait a day or maybe two to see how the poll goes. So if you don’t want to watch Frankenstein, you must vote now!!
Saw it at the Rialto when it opened in their October FrightFest. It is an excellent film and has aged extremely well.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thumbs up The Mummy (1932).

The Mummy (1932) - Rotten Tomatoes

Saw this one today at the Rialto. I was the only person in the theater so I kind of had a private showing.

This one did age quite a lot for me but still it was quite good. Love these old movies.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,060 Times in 529 Posts

We have a very different idea of what a Classic movie is. I didn't see a single film that I would call classic on the list, The Dark Night being the oddest one. To me, examples of classic films are films with great music, acting and story line. They are as good today as they were when they came out. Films like "Bringing up Baby" "Gone with the Wind" "Citizen Kane" "Casablanca" "Giant" "The Philadelphia Story" Any film with Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy or Cary Grant for example.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
We have a very different idea of what a Classic movie is. I didn't see a single film that I would call classic on the list, The Dark Night being the oddest one. To me, examples of classic films are films with great music, acting and story line. They are as good today as they were when they came out. Films like "Bringing up Baby" "Gone with the Wind" "Citizen Kane" "Casablanca" "Giant" "The Philadelphia Story" Any film with Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy or Cary Grant for example.
Frankenstein is a great movie.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Oh come on now. We're playing a bit fast and loose with the term "classic movie". Although there is no specific definition of "classic movie". It's called having fun!!!

But I will say this, I'm surprised not a single film the movies listed on the first poll qualifies as classic for you. I will admit The Dark Knight is pushing the limits, but that was intentional to show that relatively not-so-old movies can be considered for this thread. And with Heath Ledger's Joker the main character, and very positive reviews for actual film quality, I'm fine including it on the list.

I don't think anybody disagrees with your statement about what classic movies should include. But I also don't think...again, for our purposes here...a movie has to be 50 or more years old to qualify.

Come on...have some fun!
Old 10-14-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Oh come on now. We're playing a bit fast and loose with the term "classic movie". Although there is no specific definition of "classic movie". It's called having fun!!!

But I will say this, I'm surprised not a single film the movies listed on the first poll qualifies as classic for you. I will admit The Dark Knight is pushing the limits, but that was intentional to show that relatively not-so-old movies can be considered for this thread. And with Heath Ledger's Joker the main character, and very positive reviews for actual film quality, I'm fine including it on the list.

I don't think anybody disagrees with your statement about what classic movies should include. But I also don't think...again, for our purposes here...a movie has to be 50 or more years old to qualify.

Come on...have some fun!
Great Movies | Roger Ebert

Roger Ebert's site is a great resource for talking about Classic Movies. Or identifying them. Even though I disagree with some of his choices.

Here is one of my favorites-- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance movie review (1962) | Roger Ebert
Old 10-14-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage

Okay, gang, the time has come. The majority has spoken...it's Frankenstein (1931)!!

Okay, so the voter turnout wasn't that high. We'll probably just a pick a movie in the future. But for now, we go with the results of the poll. Hope a few of you at least watch the movie and post.

The next movie we pick may be one off one of the more accepted classic movies list you often see. But don't worry, we'll still bounce around...again...for fun!!
Old 10-14-2019, 09:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Okay, gang, the time has come. The majority has spoken...it's Frankenstein (1931)!!

Okay, so the voter turnout wasn't that high. We'll probably just a pick a movie in the future. But for now, we go with the results of the poll. Hope a few of you at least watch the movie and post.

The next movie we pick may be one off one of the more accepted classic movies list you often see. But don't worry, we'll still bounce around...again...for fun!!
Thanks for doing this.
Closed Thread

Tags
movie, classic, thread, review, movies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.