Come From Away

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2021, 09:50 AM
Platinum member
Default Come From Away

Come From Away being released Sept 10 on Apple Plus. Learn about it on You Tube. It’s an upbeat true story about the planes that were forced to land in Gander, Canada Sept 11.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-06-2021, 11:01 PM
Default London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Come From Away being released Sept 10 on Apple Plus. Learn about it on You Tube. It’s an upbeat true story about the planes that were forced to land in Gander, Canada Sept 11.
I had the pleasure is seeing this in London Theater n 2019. It was very emotional. My daughter is a flight attendant with American and I was visiting her on 9/11.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:00 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Thank you, Avista, for letting us know about Come From Away coming to Apple. We will be watching.

My book club loved the book when we read it a couple years ago. I hope to see it in the theater someday, too. I have heard it is a phenomenal production — with a profound effect on the audience.

The beautiful story, now reaching a wider audience, is coming at a good time — to remind us that our humanity really can come through.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-07-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:55 AM
Platinum member

Read the book too and it was great.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:24 PM
Soaring Parsley

Watched it last night. Wonderful.

My favorite song is the pilot's song, "Me and the Sky." Her lyrics tell her story of flying -- beginning with her always knowing she wanted to fly, from the time she was a little girl, to being the first woman captain for American.

Her song about her lifetime love of flying reinforced my theory about pilots being born to fly and always knowing. I have never asked any pilot who did not know, from earliest memory.

Pilots especially might like the lyrics. . ."Nothing between me and the sky."

Anybody from my hometown who is tuned into flying at all has probably heard of Martha Lunken -- our "First Lady of Flying." (She is grounded right now because she flew under that tempting bridge again. Damn. She knew better. I think she is 78 now and intrepid as ever.) She writes for Flying magazine -- or did. I think she is on hiatus from her column for a while.

But I digress -- got carried away on my theory that pilots are born that way. I know this to be true.

Right-Seat Boomer

PS: If you are not doing anything this evening, maybe tune into Apple TV to watch Come From Away -- as we remember the way we were. . .

Last edited by Boomer; 09-11-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Watched it last night. Wonderful.

My favorite song is the pilot's song, "Me and the Sky." Her lyrics tell her story of flying -- beginning with her always knowing she wanted to fly, from the time she was a little girl, to being the first woman captain for American.

Her song about her lifetime love of flying reinforced my theory about pilots being born to fly and always knowing. I have never asked any pilot who did not know, from earliest memory.

Pilots especially might like the lyrics. . ."Nothing between me and the sky."

Anybody from my hometown who is tuned into flying at all has probably heard of Martha Lunken -- our "First Lady of Flying." (She is grounded right now because she flew under that tempting bridge again. Damn. She knew better. I think she is 78 now and intrepid as ever.) She writes for Flying magazine -- or did. I think she is on hiatus from her column for a while.

But I digress -- got carried away on my theory that pilots are born that way. I know this to be true.

Right-Seat Boomer

PS: If you are not doing anything this evening, maybe tune into Apple TV to watch Come From Away -- as we remember the way we were. . .
I will have to watch for the DVD/Blu-Ray, etc.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:46 AM
Sage

I see it is a play. Those often take longer for some reason to get on DVD/Blu-Ray.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:48 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I see it is a play. Those often take longer for some reason to get on DVD/Blu-Ray.
I don't know why that is. Might have something to do with how the rights are handled.

I think I have watched more television in the past year and a half than I have in my entire life -- and my parents got our first television when I was 4.

We picked up Apple TV about a year ago when I wanted to watch Defending Jacob because my book club had read the book and had a discussion about nature/nurture. That is when I found out that Apple TV likes to dole out episodes instead of dropping them in all at once. (Actually, I thought Defending Jacob stretched out too long. The book was better.)

The Morning Show was excellent. The 2nd season of that one is starting soon -- and again, I bet they will dole out the episodes -- but I will be hooked anyway.

And speaking of hooked -- Ted Lasso is the most delightful thing I have seen in a long time. It is now in Season 2 -- doling out those episodes again. The soccer fans in my family kept telling me I would love Ted Lasso -- but I thought it would be all about soccer and I don't know anything about soccer. . .

And then I decided to take their advice -- and, sure enough, I am now hooked on Ted Lasso. It is funny, full of dry humor, and allusions that I almost miss sometimes and -- most of all -- characters of depth who keep us tuning in to see how things turn out for them. And, as a bonus, I have learned some more British slang.

I have heard recently that there is a whole Twitter thing or whatever going on now with people complaining because Ted Lasso is a show that is too happy. Geez. What's the matter with people. How dare we laugh!? ---- It's like that line in the play Annie when scary, mean Miss Hannigan barges in on the giggling orphans with, "Do I hear happiness in here!"

Oh well, enough stream-of-consciousness from me this morning. I sound like I am selling Apple TV subscriptions door-to-door. (Come From Away is definitely worth the price of admission though -- and much more.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-12-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:06 AM
Sage

I picked up Defending Jacob on DVD a few weeks back. It did go on a little long and seemed to leave everything up in the air as to what actually happened in the story.

On another subject I still have not seen the play Hamilton. It is hard to find on Blu-Ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I don't know why that is. Might have something to do with how the rights are handled.

I think I have watched more television in the past year and a half than I have in my entire life -- and my parents got our first television when I was 4.

We picked up Apple TV about a year ago when I wanted to watch Defending Jacob because my book club had read the book and had a discussion about nature/nurture. That is when I found out that Apple TV likes to dole out episodes instead of dropping them in all at once. (Actually, I thought Defending Jacob stretched out too long. The book was better.)

The Morning Show was excellent. The 2nd season of that one is starting soon -- and again, I bet they will dole out the episodes -- but I will be hooked anyway.

And speaking of hooked -- Ted Lasso is the most delightful thing I have seen in a long time. It is now in Season 2 -- doling out those episodes again. The soccer fans in my family kept telling me I would love Ted Lasso -- but I thought it would be all about soccer and I don't know anything about soccer. . .

And then I decided to take their advice -- and, sure enough, I am now hooked on Ted Lasso. It is funny, full of dry humor, and allusions that I almost miss sometimes and -- most of all -- characters of depth who keep us tuning in to see how things turn out for them. And, as a bonus, I have learned some more British slang.

I have heard recently that there is a whole Twitter thing or whatever going on now with people complaining because Ted Lasso is a show that is too happy. Geez. What's the matter with people. How dare we laugh!? ---- It's like that line in the play Annie when scary, mean Miss Hannigan barges in on the giggling orphans with, "Do I hear happiness in here!"

Oh well, enough stream-of-consciousness from me this morning. I sound like I am selling Apple TV subscriptions door-to-door. (Come From Away is definitely worth the price of admission though -- and much more.)

Boomer
Closed Thread

Tags
sept, planes, land, forced, story

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.