Dunkirk (2017)

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2017, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Thumbs up Dunkirk (2017)

This is a fictional telling of some events during the evacuation of Dunkirk. Very well done though and follows the stories of a few of its survivors/victims.

The Old Mill Playhouse was maybe 2/3s full this afternoon in the largest Auditorium-- Number 1.

Dunkirk (2017) - Rotten Tomatoes

I could see it being easily in the Oscar race on March 4, 2018.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I have emailed TV theater people a few times and they've actually responded. Once when they were only showing the movie Arrival at SS and I mentioned a sci-fi film like that should be seen at a decent size theater, and since it's a film for a younger audience it would also be better served at Brownwood. They actually moved the film to Brownwood the next week and I went and saw it there.

Last edited by John_W; 08-03-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: deleted Dunkirk comments
Old 08-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Sage

We went to the 3:45 show today at LSL of Dunkirk, which has an IMDB 8.5 rating from 133,000 posters. Dunkirk opened two weeks ago tomorrow and has taken in $100 million so far and the theater was packed today. Another film that opened the same day is Valerian, which has an IMDB 6.8 rating and has only taken in $30 million nationwide and yet The Villages has it playing at two theaters.

I gave Dunkirk 10 Stars. Even though it's not perfect it still rates a 10 and what could of been improved? Maybe they could of put subtitles on the screen. The problem being is the soundtrack and the mix of explosions, machine gun fire, yelling, etc. created an almost constant wave of sound. Dialogue of any consequence is almost nil, and when someone does speak, it lost in the mix and combined with the English accent I maybe understood 5 words in the whole film. The director knew the film didn't need much spoken word, he let the action speak for itself. The film focused on air, sea and ground troops engaging the enemy and then all coming together at the end. You had some regular faces but no names, you saw familar faces and followed their perils and you cared about the characters, but yet never knew who they were. It does come across as a classy film.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

It isn't the movie, it's the sound system......I saw the movie in Oshkosh WI two weeks ago and it was perfectly balanced. I enjoyed the approach to the story (even though it wasn't totally accurate). I have always felt TV have poor sound systems, (or sound engineers) especially at Savannah and The Sharon. The squares are improving.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-04-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran member

I caught this at a theater in Michigan with a large screen (marketed as "GDX" for "Giant Digital eXperience") and Dolby Atmos sound. The film was an impressive audio and video experience as well as a complex, powerful movie structured in a pretty unique way. Some reviews I've read are touting it as the first great film of the 21st century. It didn't strike me as THAT awesome, but it's still worth seeing in a theater, preferably with as big a screen and as good a sound system as possible. Since the director bloody loves IMAX, it might be worth seeing it in an IMAX theater. Now where's the nearest true IMAX theater (as opposed to those scaled-down "LieMAX" theaters added to regular movie houses) around here?
Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I caught this at a theater in Michigan with a large screen (marketed as "GDX" for "Giant Digital eXperience") and Dolby Atmos sound. The film was an impressive audio and video experience as well as a complex, powerful movie structured in a pretty unique way. Some reviews I've read are touting it as the first great film of the 21st century. It didn't strike me as THAT awesome, but it's still worth seeing in a theater, preferably with as big a screen and as good a sound system as possible. Since the director bloody loves IMAX, it might be worth seeing it in an IMAX theater. Now where's the nearest true IMAX theater (as opposed to those scaled-down "LieMAX" theaters added to regular movie houses) around here?
Orlando and Tampa would be my guess for the closest large IMAX theaters.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:32 AM
Sage

per wikipedia: List of Imax in Florida:

Florida[edit]

Altamonte Springs – AMC Altamonte Mall 18
Aventura – AMC Aventura 24
Brandon – AMC The Regency 20
Davenport – Cinépolis Polk County[238]
Delray Beach – Frank Theatres Market Place 12[239]
Destin – AMC Destin Commons 14
Fort Lauderdale – Museum of Discovery and Science (LASER)[240]
Fort Myers – Regal Gulf Coast Town Center Stadium 16 & IMAX
Jacksonville – AMC Regency 24
Kennedy Space Center – Visitors Center IMAX #1 (15/70 mm, 3D)[241]
Kennedy Space Center – Visitors Center IMAX #2 (15/70 mm, 3D)[241]
Lakeland – Cobb Lakeside 18
Melbourne – Carmike West Melbourne 12 Cinemas
Merritt Island – Cobb Merritt Square 16
Miami – AMC Sunset Place 24
Miami – Cobb Dolphin 19
Oldsmar – AMC Woodlands Square 20
Orange Park – AMC Orange Park 24
Orlando – AMC Universal Cineplex 20
Orlando – Regal Waterford Lakes Stadium 20
Orlando – Regal Pointe Orlando Stadium 20 (Dual Projection)
Orlando – Soarin' Around the World Epcot, Walt Disney World. IMAX Dome. Used only for the ride. (15/70 mm)
Orlando – The Simpsons Ride, Universal Studios Florida. IMAX Dome. Used only for the ride. (15/70 mm)
Panama City Beach – The Grand 16
Pensacola – Carmike Pensacola Bayou 15
Sarasota – AMC Sarasota 12
St. Augustine – World Golf Hall of Fame[242]
St. Petersburg – Carmike Baywalk 20
Sunrise – Regal Sawgrass Stadium 23
Tallahassee – Challenger Learning Center[243]
Tallahassee – AMC Tallahassee Mall 20
Tampa – IMAX Dome, Museum of Science & Industry (15/70 mm, 2D)
Tampa – AMC Veterans 24
West Palm Beach – AMC Cityplace 20 & IMAX
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Sage
Default Dunkirk - 3.5 Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
We went to the 3:45 show today at LSL of Dunkirk, which has an IMDB 8.5 rating from 133,000 posters. Dunkirk opened two weeks ago tomorrow and has taken in $100 million so far and the theater was packed today. Another film that opened the same day is Valerian, which has an IMDB 6.8 rating and has only taken in $30 million nationwide and yet The Villages has it playing at two theaters.

I gave Dunkirk 10 Stars. Even though it's not perfect it still rates a 10 and what could of been improved? Maybe they could of put subtitles on the screen. The problem being is the soundtrack and the mix of explosions, machine gun fire, yelling, etc. created an almost constant wave of sound. Dialogue of any consequence is almost nil, and when someone does speak, it lost in the mix and combined with the English accent I maybe understood 5 words in the whole film. The director knew the film didn't need much spoken word, he let the action speak for itself. The film focused on air, sea and ground troops engaging the enemy and then all coming together at the end. You had some regular faces but no names, you saw familar faces and followed their perils and you cared about the characters, but yet never knew who they were. It does come across as a classy film.
Agree with John's review. I saw it last night in an IMAX theater in suburban Chicago. Very impressive film, although understanding the dialogue was not always easy.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
It isn't the movie, it's the sound system......I saw the movie in Oshkosh WI two weeks ago and it was perfectly balanced. I enjoyed the approach to the story (even though it wasn't totally accurate). I have always felt TV have poor sound systems, (or sound engineers) especially at Savannah and The Sharon. The squares are improving.
I was wondering how a high profile director like Christopher Nolan would release a film with such poor sound. This is just one more example of whoever is in charge of The Villages Theater group isn't on the ball. First, to show this film at one theater is terrible when you've films with almost empty audiences. By this point in time, they should know that LSL theater has inadequate sound system, and or tested the film one early morning if in doubt. The much newer Brownwood theater should of been the obvious choice to play this film. Even SS has better sound system, I've seen many artsy films there that have a lot of dialogue and had no problem understanding.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Gold member

We saw Dunkirk at the IMAX theater in Ocala. I notice that it is not losted as an IMAX theater. Maybe it's one of those faux IMAX theaters. The sound was so loud I had to turn off my hearing aids. But we did enjoy the movie.

john

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 08-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
We saw Dunkirk at the IMAX theater in Ocala. I notice that it is not losted as an IMAX theater. Maybe it's one of those faux IMAX theaters. The sound was so loud I had to turn off my hearing aids. But we did enjoy the movie.

john
I saw Avatar up there at that Ocala Hollywood 16 in January of 2009. It was in 3-D. The screen was not all that large. I wonder if they made it bigger? I have not been up there to see a movie for quite some time but do go shopping at their mall or take relatives for eye surgery.

The IMAX screens I saw various movies in at Tampa locations each were a good 40 feet high I would estimate. IMAX screens looking smaller these days? It's not just you | Digital Trends They do seem to be making them smaller though.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-05-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:18 PM

Dunkirk was very low budget and only showed "situations". And they were made up situations and several of them were not even possible

(A big ship can not just refloat with the tide.)(Bullets can not penetrate a ships hull.)

The British had more than 3 friggin planes at Dunkirk.

And they only showed like 50 small rescue boats. In reality there were a 1000.

And no actors in the entire movie. No plots, no nothing.

I thought it was a very bad film. It sure wasn't "PATTON".
Old 08-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran member

I've got it on order from the library..thanks for info
Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
Dunkirk was very low budget and only showed "situations". And they were made up situations and several of them were not even possible

(A big ship can not just refloat with the tide.)(Bullets can not penetrate a ships hull.)

The British had more than 3 friggin planes at Dunkirk.

And they only showed like 50 small rescue boats. In reality there were a 1000.

And no actors in the entire movie. No plots, no nothing.

I thought it was a very bad film. It sure wasn't "PATTON".
And what pilot would make a water landing without opening his canopy? I guess they needed to add 15 minutes more of drama? Even the pilot that landed on the beach opened his canopy.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:39 AM
Sage
Default Production budget & box office for Dunkirk

According to the website: the-numbers.com, the production budget for Dunkirk was $150 million. Not that box office figures make it a good movie or not, but so far box office sales domestically are $120 million, internationally $131 million.

Tags
dunkirk, survivors/victims, playhouse, mill, 2/3s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.