Dunkirk (2017)

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
According to the website: the-numbers.com, the production budget for Dunkirk was $150 million. Not that box office figures make it a good movie or not, but so far box office sales domestically are $120 million, internationally $131 million.
Been addicted to The-Numbers.com since 2007 or so. Check out their yearly Oscar winner prediction contest and almost weekly weekend box office contests. One of these featured Dunkirk. I win a few of these a year when lucky with my guesses. The prizes are all that thrilling usually. I won a copy of August Rush in which my nephew has a small part -- the boy who yells "Pizza"-- and Henry Poole is Here. Contest: Bring Home a Prize: Winning Announcement - The Numbers

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-06-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:10 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

previews were much better than the movie
Old 08-07-2017, 07:57 AM

Also they had a British fighter plane shoot down a "dive" bomber even though the British plane was out of gas and had no engine. Really.

I mean a german with a rifle "sank" a huge ship all by himself by firing a few shoots into the hull. Really.

Star Wars was more realistic.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
Also they had a British fighter plane shoot down a "dive" bomber even though the British plane was out of gas and had no engine. Really.

I mean a german with a rifle "sank" a huge ship all by himself by firing a few shoots into the hull. Really.

Star Wars was more realistic.
As history it leaves a lot to be desired but it is great story telling. I will bet it has numerous Oscar nominations and maybe some wins even if I have had trouble understanding just why some of the latest Best Pictures were voted by Academy Members to be the winners.

Check out the BBC docu drama Dunkirk. It has a very young Benedict Cumberbatch as one of the heroes of the rear guard actions. Dunkirk (TV series - Wikipedia) Dunkirk (TV Movie 2004) - IMDb
Old 08-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Some of you noticed a few mistakes, here's some you maybe didn't notice.
  • The me-109 have painted yellow fronts, this wasn't done by the Germans until after Dunkirk. Christopher Nolan has admitted doing this deliberately so the audience could tell the difference between the spitfire and the me-109 during the combat scenes.

• In the scene towards the start of the film in Weymouth harbour, you can see the huge building which is Weymouth Pavilion, which was built in 1954, after the original 1909 building burnt down.

• When the boat returns to England they state the cliffs are Dorset. There were 3 evacuation routes from Dunkirk - all to Kent. It would be nonsense to sail from Dunkirk to Dorset as you have to almost pass Dover on the way! (never mind the fact the boat would probably not have made it without refueling).

• When the returned soldiers are on the train at the end of the film, it's an open plan post-war British Rail Mark I type, which where built from around 1950. Also the blue upholstery on the seats looks to be the corporate blue introduced by British Rail in the 1960s, used by the preserved railway owning the stock, and not what would have featured in Southern Railway carriages of the time. The carriages also have horizontally-sliding windows, which are far more contemporary than wartime trains, which had windows with a much larger vertical opening, held in place by a leather strap.

• There are a number of scenes of the buildings along the coast where TV antennas are visible.

• No soldiers in this film were smoking cigarettes - unbelievable for 1940.

• In several scenes, but notably very near the end, the background shows numerous container handling cranes, which weren't invented until the mid sixties.

• Christopher Nolan admits he used a French destroyer instead of a British destroyer, for practical purposes (most people won't notice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail33or
(A big ship can not just refloat with the tide.)(Bullets can not penetrate a ships hull.)
The beached trawler it doesn't look that big to me and before the bullet holes were made, why wouldn't the ship refloat with high tide?

The Villages Florida

The primary German weapon was the Karabiner 98k Mauser which fired five 7.92×57mm Mauser cartridges (designated as the 8mm Mauser).

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Here's a video of someone shooting this rifle using 8mm ammo and penetrating steel plates.

Armor test: 8mm vs Level III AR500 - YouTube
Old 08-07-2017, 07:16 PM

Agreed it definitely was not SAVING PRIVATE RYAN!
Old 08-22-2017, 12:37 PM

I think it was a phenomenal movie but I agree with some of the sound issues. Nonetheless, the story line was well worth it!
Old 08-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran member
Default Dunkirk

[QUOTE=LittleDog;1432540]We saw Dunkirk at the IMAX theater in Ocala. I notice that it is not losted as an IMAX theater. Maybe it's one of those faux IMAX theaters. The sound was so loud I had to turn off my hearing aids. But we did enjoy the movie.

Sorry for the sour apples. We stuffed Kleenex in our ears and it was still unbearable. Also the editing was really bad and it showed a very poor understanding of ships etc., especially of that era. We left early and will avoid the Sumter theater, the noise was so ridiculous. Of course there are those who enjoy noise, plenty of that around.
Sorry, just expressing an opinion.

Closed Thread

Tags
dunkirk, survivors/victims, playhouse, mill, 2/3s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.