FAVORITE MOVIES TO RECOMMEND FOR RENTAL VIEWING

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Default Re: FAVORITE MOVIES TO RECOMMEND FOR RENTAL VIEWING

I second "The Shawshank Redemption". Morgan Freeman is one of my favorite actors.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:18 PM

Recent releases: In Her Shoes, and The Holiday, both with Cameron Diaz. For Action I loved The Italian Job and of course any James Bond 007 thriller. Goldfinger and Thunderball are great on a rainy day
Old 01-06-2008, 03:54 PM

There is a five disc series available called " Planet Earth". I got it for Xmas. It was produced by the BBC and is unbelievable. They took high definition films all over the world and captured some of the most breathtaking video ever filmed of scenery and wildlife from Pole to Pole.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1472
There is a five disc series available called " Planet Earth". I got it for Xmas. It was produced by the BBC and is unbelievable. They took high definition films all over the world and captured some of the most breathtaking video ever filmed of scenery and wildlife from Pole to Pole.
That series is excellent. Have not watched all of them yet but the ones I saw were fascinating.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekops
I second "The Shawshank Redemption". Morgan Freeman is one of my favorite actors.
He even played a pretty convincing "God" in Bruce Almighty and Evan Almighty.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:24 PM

Barb! Barefoot is right..........."Away From Her" is awesome. I thought my hubby had tears and he never does......... bring kleenex and keep it close by.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmom3
Barb! Barefoot is right..........."Away From Her" is awesome. I thought my hubby had tears and he never does......... bring kleenex and keep it close by.

It looks like a movie that some Villagers can relate to in some way. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491747/
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 PM

I use Blockbuster online because I can either mail the DVD back or return it to the store and pick up another rental. Recently I rented "Namesake" and "Wallstreet" which I had never seen when it was in the theaters. Enjoyed both. I also rent movies from "Red Box" which is in most supermakets up north. Don't know if you have it in TV yet. $1.06/nite.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Sage

Another vote for rotten tomatoes. I think it is the most extensive movie site for reviews. I'm not sure how far back they go but it is great to determine where to spend your current $. I look for any movie that gets at least a 55% favorable rating. The rest i can wait for on DVD for $1 from local store.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
Another vote for rotten tomatoes. I think it is the most extensive movie site for reviews. I'm not sure how far back they go but it is great to determine where to spend your current $. I look for any movie that gets at least a 55% favorable rating. The rest i can wait for on DVD for $1 from local store.
Rotten Tomatoes gives ranges for movies according to rotten to fresh tomatoes.

I looked for movies from the 1920s that had a 90% or higher fresh ratio from critics and it came up with two-- Nosferatu from 1922 and Metropolis from 1926. So, RT does get some old films. These were the only two films that showed up when I set the parameters for 10% or over.

With the 1930s only 5 films showed up with the 10% or higher fresh meter search.

Nothing showed up for films from the Silent Era before 1920 that is on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM

Shawshank is my favorite movie.

Jerry
(CM) Boston, Ma.
(JM)(CM)Boca Raton, FL.
(CM/JM)TV-Largo(CM/JM)
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 PM

Shawshank is my husband's favorite movie. We own it and he still watches it whenever it comes on television. For me, it has to be Memoirs of a Geisha ... the scenery is just beautiful ... read the book and the movie is just beautiful. There are $1 rental kiosks in the Albertson's (I think that's the right grocery store) ...
Old 01-07-2008, 11:16 PM

Forgot two that are southern favorites. 1. Fried Green Tomatoes. 2. Steel Magnolias
Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsnowbird
Shawshank is my husband's favorite movie. We own it and he still watches it whenever it comes on television. For me, it has to be Memoirs of a Geisha ... the scenery is just beautiful ... read the book and the movie is just beautiful. There are $1 rental kiosks in the Albertson's (I think that's the right grocery store) ...
You mean the DVD vending machines? Yes, they are at Albertson's but from the stores I have checked these ADVD machines have movies from the past few years. Probably they would not have Memoirs of a Geisha nor the ShawshankRedemption. They have very limited space after all.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Barb,
I love that pic..Will they all be on the Red Carpet at the Academy Awards?The Villages Florida

A lovely group indeed!The Villages Florida

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.