Film review of the upcoming documentary about The Villages

Old 12-06-2020, 11:35 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
To me, when I first got here I believed that everything (100%) of TV Land was wonderful. Then, after about 5 years that "wonderful" had dropped to about 90%. I found many small issues that annoyed me. That is still better than most places that I have previously lived.

As to the quote about knocking the media for portraying (falsely) that the nation's ICUs were being overrun by CV patients. I do NOT see that as a FALSE claim. I wish it was. Maybe not YET here in TV Land, but the REALITY is that around the country - the ICUs ARE overcrowded with CV patients. For example, Rhode Island hospitals are so full that they have put up tent-type FIELD hospitals as a necessity to handle their overflow. And, much worse, they are having staffing problems for these additional beds! Do a Google check to prove me correct.
The highest percentage ICU use in Rhode Island is in Kent County at 67% capacity. The other counties are under 50%. The typical operating capacity of ICU’s pre Covid was 70-75%. Kent County has a total of 15 ICU beds, 10 are occupied, as of 12/7. There has been a surge of cases in Kent County, the fear is that they may fill those available 5 beds and run out of capacity.
A perfect example of finding the worst possible case and making it seem like it is the norm, not the exception...

Last edited by Swoop; 12-07-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
The ICU's across the US are being overrun by COVID patients. As the Premier of Manitoba said 'if you think COVID is a hoax, you are an idiot." The closed minds on this forum never cease to amaze and disappoint.
Proves my point. You are getting your information from a network news channel that has lead you to believe that ICU’s across the country are being overrun. The CDC publishes the percentage use of ICU’s in every state, updated daily. Here it is: https://healthdata.gov/dataset/covid-19-estimated-patient-impact-and-hospital-capacity-state/resource/82e733c6-7baa-4c65#{currentView:!grid}
ICU’s typically run at 70-75% capacity. Looks pretty typical to me... Consider doing your own research and avoid biased network news...
Old 12-07-2020, 05:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I will definitely watch it but it sounds like it really isn't about "life in The Villages" but rather three stories of unhappy people who could live anywhere.

The first story is the guy living in his van. He isn't even a resident, just some bum looking for a free ride. Second is a married couple where the husband is ... acting odd ... as he gets older. Maybe cognitive/dementia issues? Could (and does) happen any and everywhere. And the third is a woman who moved here with her hubs to live happily ever after, he dies unexpectedly and she is left in less than optimal financial shape. Again, a universal story that, sadly, happens all too often all around the world.

That said, the cinematography looks lovely (based on the trailer). It will be fun to do a movie night with Sissy and BIL to watch.

kathy
I agree. It looks like the film is based on three universal characters that could be living in any retirement community. They just happen to be in The Villages. I don't see that as "having an agenda". I see it as exploring nuances and realities of retirement life in general. Not having seen the movie, perhaps it needs editing to add "happy people" to balance things out, because surely there are lots of those here too.

Last edited by Love2Swim; 12-07-2020 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:47 AM

In order to be insulted I must first value your opinion.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:48 PM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

I want to meet him! Lol!
Old 12-07-2020, 03:34 PM

The film is called "Some Kind of Heaven"

I interpreted it as a fictitious film similar to the 2005 film "The Boynton Beach Club."

It is only a fictitious story of three elderly people with the setting taking place in The Villages, FL.

I think the reviewer, Ezra Haber Glenn, summed it up quite well.

"Tracing these three stories – all different, yet all seeking some meaning here in “God’s Waiting Room” – we recognize the deeper, more fundamental human needs we all share. . . .In the end, we want to connect with other people, to matter in the world, and to feel in our heart and soul that life is meaningful. Even in retirement, this real work still goes on."

Last edited by pqrstar; 12-07-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
Proves my point. You are getting your information from a network news channel that has lead you to believe that ICU’s across the country are being overrun. The CDC publishes the percentage use of ICU’s in every state, updated daily. Here it is: https://healthdata.gov/dataset/covid-19-estimated-patient-impact-and-hospital-capacity-state/resource/82e733c6-7baa-4c65#{currentView:!grid}
ICU’s typically run at 70-75% capacity. Looks pretty typical to me... Consider doing your own research and avoid biased network news...
The CDC is also reporting near zero numbers for flu. Why this gets no airplay is obvious. Look it up. Not realistic. History will look back at this China flu as numbers that were posted as let's just say padded a bit.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothyimitchell View Post
The CDC is also reporting near zero numbers for flu. Why this gets no airplay is obvious. Look it up. Not realistic. History will look back at this China flu as numbers that were posted as let's just say padded a bit.
You just don't know who or what to believe anymore. We have been lied to so much in the past year that lying just seems normal in our country. So sad but true.

Tags
film, review, upcoming, documentary, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.