First Man

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2018, 04:34 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default First Man

It was featured in the Lifestyle section of the Daily Planet, sorry Sun and received a good review on one of my favorite sites - >Rogoway's Reviews: First Man Is A Stunningly Raw Tale Of Rockets And Reality - The Drive

Plus, we are all located very close to where a lot of the action took place. I am very excited to see this movie and believe many others share this desire!

So, who selected First Man to be first shown in the smallest theater in the Villages? I hope it quickly comes to Sumter and or Brownwood where the screen, seating and sound is better.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I’m hoping to take my grandsons to see it. Question is whether a nine year old would be interested. Please LMK what you think after seeing it. Thanks.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
It was featured in the Lifestyle section of the Daily Planet, sorry Sun and received a good review on one of my favorite sites - >Rogoway's Reviews: First Man Is A Stunningly Raw Tale Of Rockets And Reality - The Drive

Plus, we are all located very close to where a lot of the action took place. I am very excited to see this movie and believe many others share this desire!

So, who selected First Man to be first shown in the smallest theater in the Villages? I hope it quickly comes to Sumter and or Brownwood where the screen, seating and sound is better.
They have been doing that with some of the would be blockbusters. Mamma Mia and Ant-Man and the Wasp for instance. Mamma Mia did get to Brownwood, eventually.

There are some auditoriums at the Rialto with a quite a lot of leg room. Auditorium 1 for instance.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thumbs up Academy Award worthy movie.

Saw it this morning at 9:05 AM in theater 3 at the Rialto with an audience of maybe 10 people, if that. This auditorium has good leg room like #1.

I expect this movie will be up for Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Screenwriting and for some categories as well.

First Man (2018) - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 10-15-2018, 10:32 PM
Sage

But is it a movie a 9 YO would enjoy or even sit through?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-16-2018, 05:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
You’d probably have to ask a 9 year old
Old 10-16-2018, 06:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
There were two boys there yesterday morning. They looked around 13 or so though. It has a lot of action parts but also many rather sentimental ones as well. A good part of the story involves Neil Armstrong and his wife's relationship and that of the one they had with their daughter Karen.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-16-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Veteran member

I can't really recommend it for a 9-year-old. This is a dramatic film about the price paid by one man and his family for his part in this piece of history. It isn't always pretty. To me, the scenes that took place in space were utterly amazing but to somebody raised on Star Wars, they would probably be cramped, dark and confusing.

I saw it at the AMC in Lessberg as I wasn't about to see it on a little screen up on a wall in Spanish Springs. Good projection (thought not as good as a Dolby Vision theater like the one in Altamonte) and good sound there. However, somebody fired up on commentary from the right, shouted out, "WHERE'S THE FLAG?" after Armstrong had been on the surface for less than 30 seconds. The idea that the film wasn't about American exceptionalism but was about one man was a bit lost on this gentleman, as was the fact that the flag wasn't planted until AFTER both astronauts had gotten out on the surface and had done a quick grab of some rocks and dust (in case they had to leave immediately). It's not like the flag wasn't shown in the film - it was. It just wasn't the center of the film. A more important item left behind (in terms of the dramatic nature of the film) was a baby bracelet. Of course, had the film been totally realistic about the flag, it would have shown it getting blown over by the launch of the ascent module of the LEM (which was why they started planting them further away from the craft on subsequent flights). And if they showed ANY of the flags planted by the astronauts as they actually are today, they would be blank white sheets of plastic (cloth flags wouldn't have done well in vacuum) as the color has long since been bleached out by the harsh solar radiation. Not perhaps what we would like to picture, but facts are facts.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:13 PM
Sage

Thanks, Jerry. I was hoping my gut feeling was wrong but you confirmed what I thought. Really a shame since I’d love to get these two (grandson and step-grandson) interested in something other than action hero drivel.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
There were two boys there yesterday morning. They looked around 13 or so though. It has a lot of action parts but also many rather sentimental ones as well. A good part of the story involves Neil Armstrong and his wife's relationship and that of the one they had with their daughter Karen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I can't really recommend it for a 9-year-old. This is a dramatic film about the price paid by one man and his family for his part in this piece of history. It isn't always pretty. To me, the scenes that took place in space were utterly amazing but to somebody raised on Star Wars, they would probably be cramped, dark and confusing.

I saw it at the AMC in Lessberg as I wasn't about to see it on a little screen up on a wall in Spanish Springs. Good projection (thought not as good as a Dolby Vision theater like the one in Altamonte) and good sound there. However, somebody fired up on commentary from the right, shouted out, "WHERE'S THE FLAG?" after Armstrong had been on the surface for less than 30 seconds. The idea that the film wasn't about American exceptionalism but was about one man was a bit lost on this gentleman, as was the fact that the flag wasn't planted until AFTER both astronauts had gotten out on the surface and had done a quick grab of some rocks and dust (in case they had to leave immediately). It's not like the flag wasn't shown in the film - it was. It just wasn't the center of the film. A more important item left behind (in terms of the dramatic nature of the film) was a baby bracelet. Of course, had the film been totally realistic about the flag, it would have shown it getting blown over by the launch of the ascent module of the LEM (which was why they started planting them further away from the craft on subsequent flights). And if they showed ANY of the flags planted by the astronauts as they actually are today, they would be blank white sheets of plastic (cloth flags wouldn't have done well in vacuum) as the color has long since been bleached out by the harsh solar radiation. Not perhaps what we would like to picture, but facts are facts.
Thank you to the two of you for actually answering a serious question.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Sage

I saw "First Man" a few days ago. I thought it was good, not great. Wondering what Neil and Janet Armstrong's two sons thought about the portrayals of their parents. Space travel is not for wimps.

On a side note: A great day or two day trip from The Villages would be to visit the Kennedy Space Center and the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame - especially with visiting grandchildren - I'd say age 9 and up. If you have time to visit both, I would say devote one day for each place.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I saw "First Man" a few days ago. I thought it was good, not great. Wondering what Neil and Janet Armstrong's two sons thought about the portrayals of their parents.
I read somewhere that at least one of the sons was involved as a consultant in the making of the film. I've gotta think that he thought that it was at least fairly reflective of what home life was like with a driven astronaut as a father.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Sage

‘First Man’: Neil Armstrong’s Son Praises Film’s Authenticity – Variety

The Armstrong family seem to have liked it.

I agree that it was just a good and not a great movie but it does have some Oscar quality acting in it especially that of Claire Foy.

Meteor Crater in Arizona has some cool space related displays if you are out that way. Meteor Crater Home Page
Old 11-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post

I thought that much of it was cramped, dark and confusing. I had trouble keeping track of what was going on. I hate movies that seem to be shot with a lack of lighting.

I was really looking forward to this, but I was very disappointed. Hollywood has to start making movies again that tell a story without trying so hard to be artsy.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I thought that much of it was cramped, dark and confusing. I had trouble keeping track of what was going on. I hate movies that seem to be shot with a lack of lighting.
This was especially true during the Gemini mission. In fact, I thought it captured how horribly camped and dark the Gemini capsule was and how stressful even a "normal" mission would be, much less one that went sideways like this one did. The launches of the Apollo and Gemini missions and the X-15 mission that opens the film all managed (to me) to really capture the sheer violence of these events. These were NOT Star Trek or Star Wars flights, there were nasty, dirty, real and REALLY difficult to accomplish.
Closed Thread

Tags
man, desire, selected, shown, share

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.