First Man

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts
Default First Man

I watched the movie on a DVD from the library. Glad It was free because I cannot believe anyone could make such a lousy, boring movie about the first man to land on the moon. I can only give it 1 star out of 5. Pretty bad movie. Not recommended.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I watched the movie on a DVD from the library. Glad It was free because I cannot believe anyone could make such a lousy, boring movie about the first man to land on the moon. I can only give it 1 star out of 5. Pretty bad movie. Not recommended.
I really liked that one. First Man (2018) - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 05-24-2019, 09:59 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

As I understand it the American flag was not shown being planted on the moon's surface which was a huge big deal in the actual mission. Hollywood! I rarely watch their movies anymore as they falsely portray so much.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-25-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
As I understand it the American flag was not shown being planted on the moon's surface which was a huge big deal in the actual mission. Hollywood! I rarely watch their movies anymore as they falsely portray so much.
‘First Man’ and the Absurd American Flag Controversy - The Atlantic

Actually that little matter was making much of NOTHING. This movie was very accurate in details. Probably why some found it boring.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
‘First Man’ and the Absurd American Flag Controversy - The Atlantic

Actually that little matter was making much of NOTHING. This movie was very accurate in details. Probably why some found it boring.
The American flag is not a little matter and not showing it is not "nothing". The second man to set foot on the moon, Buzz Aldrin, would agree with that! The United States of America put the first man on the moon and deserves credit. To not show the American flag on the moon in the film is simply a sick attempt at passive aggressive historical inaccuracy, something Hollywood films are noted for. Buzz Aldrin slams '''First Man''' movie controversy, posts photos of US flag on moon with '''Proud to be American''' hashtag | Fox News

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-25-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Speaking of 'not showing the flag'... it's MEMORIAL weekend folks...
Old 05-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Does anyone find it disturbing that so few residents display flags on this important weekend?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-25-2019, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
The American flag is not a little matter and not showing it is not "nothing". The second man to set foot on the moon, Buzz Aldrin, would agree with that! The United States of America put the first man on the moon and deserves credit. To not show the American flag on the moon in the film is simply a sick attempt at passive aggressive historical inaccuracy, something Hollywood films are noted for. Buzz Aldrin slams '''First Man''' movie controversy, posts photos of US flag on moon with '''Proud to be American''' hashtag | Fox News
That is a good link.

Quote:
This story is human and it is universal. Of course, it celebrates an America achievement. It also celebrates an achievement 'for all mankind,'” the statement said, adding that “the filmmakers chose to focus on Neil looking back at the earth, his walk to Little West Crater, his unique, personal experience of completing this journey, a journey that has seen so many incredible highs and devastating lows.”

Chazelle himself also released a statement, insisting the omitting of the planting of the U.S. flag had nothing to do with politics.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Does anyone find it disturbing that so few residents display flags on this important weekend?
I have 14 out as do a lot of the people in this Village as well as other Villages.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I have 14 out as do a lot of the people in this Village as well as other Villages.
Good for you!

I love to see them.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Good for you!

I love to see them.
Me too.

The movie First Man was about Neil Armstrong and how his immediate family dealt with uncertainty and the danger of space travel. Thought it was extremely well done and in no way boring.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Sage

"Chazelle himself also released a statement, insisting the omitting of the planting of the U.S. flag had nothing to do with politics."

That is the passive-aggressive part.

Now we all realize that the story is about Neil Armstrong and what he and his family went through. But planting the American Flag on the moon is a significant part of that story. It is like showing a picture of Paris with the Arc de Tromp or the Eiffel Tower edited out of it.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
"Chazelle himself also released a statement, insisting the omitting of the planting of the U.S. flag had nothing to do with politics."

That is the passive-aggressive part.

Now we all realize that the story is about Neil Armstrong and what he and his family went through. But planting the American Flag on the moon is a significant part of that story. It is like showing a picture of Paris with the Arc de Tromp or the Eiffel Tower edited out of it.
Bad analogy.

Wish we could get back to the movie rather than the phony patriotism which often stirs up these kind of fights. The US Constitution is what represents the greatness of this country and not someone just waving some flag. And usually for ulterior motives.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Bad analogy.

Wish we could get back to the movie rather than the phony patriotism which often stirs up these kind of fights. The US Constitution is what represents the greatness of this country and not someone just waving some flag. And usually for ulterior motives.
OK, how about when Peary planted the flag at the North Pole and Amundsen the Norwegian flag at the South Pole?

Who Was the First Person To Reach the North Pole? | UC Geography
Amundsen's South Pole expedition - Wikipedia

This has nothing to to with phony patriotism by flag waving. This has everything to do with recognizing an American accomplishment. The movie should have shown the US flag planted on the moon.

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-25-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Bad analogy.

Phony patriotism...really. I was brought up to always display the flag and when I was in the Navy we displayed flags whenever appropriate. I haven't seen anyone waving the Constitution. I also see people standing with hands over their hearts for God Bless American and Lee Greenwood as if those songs are our National Anthems....we have lost our direction on how we judge patriotism when the display of our flag can be construe our respect for our dilution of our National Anthem as phony patriotism. Also, I didn't view the movie incomplete because the flag wasn't displayed, it was about the personal sacrifices of the people, the risks taken by the people and the personal impacts....I didn't see it as a National story.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
movie, man, give, land, moon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.