First Man

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2019, 03:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The American flag is not a little matter and not showing it is not "nothing". The second man to set foot on the moon, Buzz Aldrin, would agree with that! The United States of America put the first man on the moon and deserves credit. To not show the American flag on the moon in the film is simply a sick attempt at passive aggressive historical inaccuracy, something Hollywood films are noted for. Buzz Aldrin slams '''First Man''' movie controversy, posts photos of US flag on moon with '''Proud to be American''' hashtag | Fox News
Except that it is actually shown on the moon in the film. If not showing " the American flag on the moon in the film is simply a sick attempt at passive aggressive historical inaccuracy", then what exactly is making a controversy by claiming it's not shown when it actually is? When I saw the film in the theater, some guy shouted out "WHERE'S THE FLAG?" in an angry tone about two second after Armstrong first stepped out onto the moon, well before Aldrin had come out of the capsule and well before they would have, together, planted the flag. When the flag appeared on the screen a few minutes later, I felt like shouting back, "THERE'S the flag, moron!" but though I would not disturb my fellow movie goers further.

The film centers around the experience of being the first man on the moon and is thus about Neil Armstrong. It's a character-driven movie, not the simplistic or jingoistic film about American exceptionalism that some folks wanted it to be. And the film is extremely accurate on the technical details. Compared to 99% of science fiction films, space travel here is shown laborious, slow, tedious and tiresome, punctuated by moments of sheer terror. But that's the way the technology was (and it hasn't improved all that much since then).

As a fan of character-driven films, I found this one quite good. As a space buff of long standing, I was thrilled. No film is for everybody though and your mileage may vary.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I have 14 out as do a lot of the people in this Village as well as other Villages.
I think more do not than do....at least below 466A

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-25-2019, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Except that it is actually shown on the moon in the film. It's just that the film centers around the experience of being the first man on the moon and is thus about Neil Armstrong. It's a character-driven movie, not the simplistic or jingoistic film about American exceptionalism that some folks wanted it to be. When I saw it, some guy shouted out "Where's the flag?" in an angry tone about two second after Armstrong first stepped out onto the moon, well before Aldrin had come out of the capsule and well before they would have, together, planted the flag. When the flag appeared on the screen a few minutes later, I felt like shouting back, "THERE'S the flag, moron!" but though I would not disturb my fellow movie goers further.

And the film is extremely accurate on the technical details. Compared to 99% of science fiction films, the whole landing is laborious, slow, tedious and tiresome. But that's the way the technology was (and it hasn't improved all that much since then).

As a fan of character-driven films, I found this one quite good. As a space buff of long standing, I was thrilled. No film is for everybody though and your mileage may vary.
I had one of those "Where's the flag!" screamers when I saw it too. Good review of the movie, though.

I wish we could get back to the movie rather than all this current events oriented political crap.

Any one can wave a flag. It means next to NOTHING. That person may or may not believe in what makes this country great-- those are the ideals that are in the US Constitution.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-25-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I had one of those "Where's the flag!" screamers when I saw it too. Good review of the movie, though.

I wish we could get back to the movie rather than all this current events oriented political crap.

Any one can wave a flag. It means next to NOTHING. That person may or may not believe in what makes this country great-- those are the ideals that are in the US Constitution.
I have not seen the movie, nor know nothing about the movie.

If you are correct and it was a movie about the man and the family, and not simply the landing on the moon, then I agree with you Tals. It is just lip service.

Patriotism is not the flag...that is much too easy. Patriotism is honor, truth and how a life is lived defending American values.

I also love films that delve into the characters, and I support the statement..."Anyone can wave a flag"...as I said that is simple to do and does not a patriot make. I will assume Jerry Bells statement about accuracy is ..well, accurate, and if so what do people want ?

Accuracy in the telling should preclude anything else.

Tals...about s this true from JerryLBells post......"When the flag appeared on the screen a few minutes later, I felt like shouting back, "THERE'S the flag, moron!" but though I would not disturb my fellow movie goers further." Of course I mean that it appeared and accurately was shown ?

If so, what's the problem.....faking it would be so much worse
Closed Thread

Tags
movie, man, give, land, moon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.