"I Still Believe" and the Problem of Evil.

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2020, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Default "I Still Believe" and the Problem of Evil.

This was quite a good bio of Christian music star Jeremy Camp and his first love.

It also addresses the issue that has bugged me since February 25, 1976. Why do bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad?

My take is that since God can see infinitely into the past and future as well as across the universe who are we to try to understand God's plans? We just try to do the best with what God hands us.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

I don’t ever think about a plan , there’s good luck, bad luck and nothing more
Old 05-21-2020, 04:22 PM
Sage

It goes back to the beginning...remember the serpent talked the woman into eating the fruit. That brought what Christians called The Fall. It introduced sin into the world. THIS whole conversation is too complicated to talk over in a social media site however. Are you a reader? If so there are many good books written by folks who explain it well. Ravi Zacarious (sp) comes to mind. He just passed away in the past week but has some books. Another might be Lee Strobel...his book The Case For Faith might be a good one for you to look at. It's written simply and it's not thick like a textbook. Hope that helps!
Old 05-21-2020, 05:15 PM
Sage

Why Evil Exists

Some of these Great Courses are very good with conversations about the major questions in Philosophy.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
It goes back to the beginning...remember the serpent talked the woman into eating the fruit. That brought what Christians called The Fall. It introduced sin into the world. THIS whole conversation is too complicated to talk over in a social media site however. Are you a reader? If so there are many good books written by folks who explain it well. Ravi Zacarious (sp) comes to mind. He just passed away in the past week but has some books. Another might be Lee Strobel...his book The Case For Faith might be a good one for you to look at. It's written simply and it's not thick like a textbook. Hope that helps!
I majored in Philosophy with two BAs from the University of Nevada, Reno. The 2nd was in History. This was with a Minor in Religious Studies where we did investigate the Problem of Evil every so often. Not as often as I would have liked though.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
This was quite a good bio of Christian music star Jeremy Camp and his first love.

It also addresses the issue that has bugged me since February 25, 1976. Why do bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad?

My take is that since God can see infinitely into the past and future as well as across the universe who are we to try to understand God's plans? We just try to do the best with what God hands us.
My guess would be that God is like Fake News. No offense, but religion is, in my opinion, the rout of all evil.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:56 AM
Default God's got this

Quote:

In the end it will be just as God planned.
Many are called but few are chosen.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:58 AM

Well according to scripture there is no one who does good, no not one and we all like sheep have gone astray. We are all sinners. Things happen to good and bad. Our world is sinful. We all eventually will suffer and die. But know this if you are in Jesus Christ, even though it may feel like it, God has and will never abandon you. Nothing can separate you from God not even death. So if you are in Jesus and believe in Him and all the work He has done you will live eternally with Him in heaven. These momentary afflictions that we suffer can not compare to the glory that God has in store for us.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:02 AM

I don’t doubt my faith however I often doubt religion.

There is a big difference.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:09 AM
Default Talking to a Liberal is like administering medicine to the Dead!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
My guess would be that God is like Fake News. No offense, but religion is, in my opinion, the rout of all evil.
I will be praying for you Sir, God Almighty exists and he is greater than the evil that exists in our current world. God Bless!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2020, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Because we live in an imperfect world and God allows us to make our own choices. These choices affect us and others. If What happens to us depends on if we’re good or bad then we’d just be puppets on a string with God as our puppet master. We’re called to continually grow in faith and it’s the hard times that help us to do that the most if we allow them to. If everything that happened to us was good we’d become stagnant and spoiled. And keep in mind, no one is all good or all bad.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:24 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fletcher View Post
I don’t doubt my faith however I often doubt religion.

There is a big difference.
Perfectly clear.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Why not ask God? I'm sure he has an answer for you.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:14 AM

Well said. And I try to keep in mind that we can only define "good" and "bad" in our terms. What we think is good or bad in the moment often doesn't seem that way later.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:39 AM
theruizs

I prefer to think that in terms of ripe and unripe vs. good and evil. I cannot believe that anyone, no matter how bad, is unsalvageable. And while love of money may be a contributing cause to many of the bad things that happen, selfishness is at the root of it all. Selfishness, jealousy, anger, envy are all emotions of unripe men & women. The Creator is all love.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, happen, god, things, bad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.