"I Still Believe" and the Problem of Evil.

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2020, 07:45 AM

It will all come out at the end ! No second chances ! The Gospel is the warning !
Old 05-22-2020, 08:08 AM

Probably because people feel attacked today for everything. Their faith, their race, their political views, their food choices, etc. Vitriol comes with the territory today. People think they can say or do anything and they do.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:22 AM
theruizs

Don’t confuse the fact that there is a Creator with the supposition that there is one true religion. Also, just because someone does not believe in religion (the dogmatic approach to worship) does not mean that they do not believe in a Creator, in God. In any event, I don’t believe there is any reason to rake someone over the coals (of hell or otherwise) for expressing their beliefs.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:05 AM

Lee Strobel also wrote, “The Case For Christ.” Robert M Price wrote a response to Stobel’s book entitled, “The Case Against The Case For Christ.” For readers really interested in answers, go to Why Won't God Heal Amputees?. Two interesting chapters are; chapter 5, “Why Won’t God Heal Amputees” and chapter 8, “Why Do Bad Things Happen To Good People.”
Old 05-22-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

No , I don’t hate people of faith, but spending 40 years of my life spent in wars, revolutions, coup’s made me lose track of how many times someone tried to kill me in the name of God. FYI no violence but this includes so called Christians that wish me to burn in Hell if I don’t agree with them
Old 05-22-2020, 09:20 AM
Default In Search Of God

I highly recommend this series on Netflix. Hosted by Morgan Freeman, he explores spirituality by the many different religions of the world.
Done with respect to all.
I have found it to be very interesting and thought provoking.
I get it why religion is questioned and condemned.
When Christians don’t act as Jesus, when Muslims don’t practice the teachings of the Koran. When politics rears its ugly head and divides.
What MY being Christian means to me is that I show Grace. Keeping my mouth shut when I don’t know what the hater is going through. That I try to be a better person than I was the day before. I am a work in progress as is my spiritual road. I know there is something after death. A near death experience. My fervent prayer is that I get to go back someday. 🙏
In Christ
Maressa Smith ✝️☮️💟
Old 05-22-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
This was quite a good bio of Christian music star Jeremy Camp and his first love. It also addresses the issue that has bugged me since February 25, 1976. Why do bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad?....
The Bible contains many verses regarding this subject; below is a discussion that cites them specifically so that you may look up in your own copy of the Bible:

"A TSUNAMI destroys a village. A gunman opens fire in a church, wounding and killing a number of people. Cancer takes a mother’s life, leaving behind five children. When disasters or tragedies like those happen, many people ask, “Why?” Many ask why the world is so full of hatred and suffering?

In the Bible, we learn that men who had deep faith in God also asked such questions. For example, the prophet Habakkuk asked God: “Why do you make me witness wrongdoing? And why do you tolerate oppression? Why are destruction and violence before me? And why do quarreling and conflict abound?”—Habakkuk 1:3.

At Habakkuk 2:2, 3, we read God’s answer to Habakkuk’s questions and His promise to correct the situation. God has deep love for people. The Bible says: “He cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7) In fact, God hates to see suffering much more than we do. (Isaiah 55:8, 9) So then, the question remains, Why is there so much suffering in the world?

WHY IS THERE SO MUCH SUFFERING?

Pastors, priests, and religious teachers often say that it is God’s will that people suffer. Some may say that everything that happens to a person, including tragedies, has already been decided by God and that we can never understand why. Others may even say that people, including little children, die so that they can be with God in heaven. But that isn’t true. God never causes bad things to happen. The Bible says: “It is unthinkable for the true God to act wickedly, for the Almighty to do wrong!”—Job 34:10.

There are several reasons why there is so much suffering in the world. After Adam and Eve rebelled, they passed sin on to their children. And because of sin, humans cause other humans to suffer. They often want to be more important than others. They fight, they go to war, and they bully others. (Ecclesiastes 4:1; 8:9) Sometimes people suffer because of “time and unexpected events.” (Ecclesiastes 9:11) When they are in the wrong place at the wrong time, accidents and other bad things can happen to them.

(As for the portion of your question, why do good things happen to bad people? Matthew 5:45 states in part: "....For He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." (King James version)).

QUESTION: Why can we be sure that God has a very good reason for allowing suffering to continue?

God never causes suffering. He’s not to blame for war, crime, and mistreatment. God does not cause disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, and floods. But you may wonder, ‘If God is the most powerful person in the universe, why doesn’t he stop those terrible things from happening?’ We know that God cares deeply about us, so he must have a very good reason for allowing suffering to continue.—1 John 4:8.

WHY GOD ALLOWS SUFFERING

In the Garden of Eden, the Devil misled Adam and Eve. Satan accused God of being a bad Ruler. He claimed that God was keeping something good from Adam and Eve. Satan wanted them to believe that he would be a better ruler than God and that they did not need God.—Genesis 3:2-5; see Endnote 27.

Adam and Eve disobeyed God and rebelled against him. They thought that they had the right to decide for themselves what was right and what was wrong. How could God prove that the rebels were wrong and that he knows what is best for us?

QUESTIONS? Why did God not destroy the rebels immediately? Why has God allowed Satan to be the ruler of this world and humans to govern themselves?

God didn’t destroy Adam and Eve immediately. Instead, he allowed them to have children. Then God made it possible for the children of Adam and Eve to choose whom they wanted as their ruler. God’s purpose was to fill the earth with perfect people, and that was going to happen no matter what the Devil tried to do.—Genesis 1:28; Isaiah 55:10, 11.

Many people blame God for all the suffering in the world because they think that God rules the world. But as we learned in Chapter 3, the real ruler of the world is Satan the Devil.

The Bible tells us that “the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.” (1 John 5:19) The ruler of this world, Satan, is vicious and cruel. He is “misleading the entire inhabited earth.” (Revelation 12:9) Many people imitate him. And that’s just one reason why the world is so full of lies, hatred, and cruelty.

Satan challenged God in front of millions of angels. (Job 38:7; Daniel 7:10) So God gave Satan time to prove whether his accusation was true. He also gave humans time to set up their own governments under Satan’s guidance to show whether they could be successful without God’s help.

QUESTION: What has time proved?

For thousands of years, humans have tried to rule themselves, but they have failed. Satan has been proved a liar. Humans do need God’s help. The prophet Jeremiah was right when he said: “I well know, O God, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.”—Jeremiah 10:23.

WHY HAS GOD WAITED SO LONG?

Why has God allowed suffering to continue for so long? Why does he not stop bad things from happening? It has taken time to prove that Satan’s rule has failed. Humans have tried every kind of government, without success. Even though they have made advances in science and technology, there is more injustice, poverty, crime, and war than ever before. We cannot successfully rule ourselves without God.

However, God has not fixed the problems caused by Satan. If he did, it would mean God supports Satan’s rulership, and He will never do that. Also, humans would believe that they are able to rule themselves successfully. But that is a lie, and God would not support that either. He never lies.—Hebrews 6:18.

Can God repair all the damage that has been caused by the rebellion of Satan and humans? Yes. With God, all things are possible. God knows when all of Satan’s challenges will have been fully answered. Then he will make the earth into a paradise, as it was meant to be. All those in “the memorial tombs” will be resurrected. (John 5:28, 29) People will never get sick or die. Jesus will undo all the damage that Satan has caused. God will use Jesus “to break up the works of the Devil.” (1 John 3:8) We are grateful that in the meantime God has been patient with us so that we can come to know him and can decide that we want him to be our Ruler. (Read 2 Peter 3:9, 10.) Even when we suffer, he helps us to endure.—John 4:23; read 1 Corinthians 10:13.

God does not force us to choose him as our Ruler. He gave humans the gift of free will. Let us examine what this precious gift means to us."

-From www. JW.org
Old 05-22-2020, 10:05 AM

Jesus was not and is not God
Old 05-22-2020, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Bolen View Post
With God, all things are possible.
I agree.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDo View Post
Jesus was not and is not God
True, but I believe he existed and did preach to the people. Over the years after his death, well meaning people made up some whoppers about his life. As did the writers of the Torah, the Quran and the Bible. If you want the original oldest text, go with the Torah. Know, that they are all books written by mortal man. If you wish to believe any or all of them were inspired by God, good for you, but if I were to believe that, then I would go with the original. Although I was raised as A Christian, I feel the Torah make more logical sense than the other two. After ten years of deep research I accepted No God as the truth. I would like to add, for me, that decision brought with it a wonderful comforting feeling. I no longer have fear of death nor living fulfilling life without guilt provided by religious leaders. I know I now live more of a life taught to me about Jesus in my youth. When I accepted the teachings of Jesus Christ as a guide to how I would live my life, I found peace. I would never even consider a life path that included the scary, vindictive God of the Old Testament nor any words in the New Testament not known to be spoken by Joshua.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:04 PM

Why was there never anything written about a preacher named Jesus during his lifetime? The first time the name comes up is many years after he supposedly died. Wouldn’t you expect something to have been written about a preacher who was killed on a cross? In fact, where are all the original biblical manuscripts?
Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,636 Times in 1,489 Posts
Default Good questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
Why was there never anything written about a preacher named Jesus during his lifetime? The first time the name comes up is many years after he supposedly died. Wouldn’t you expect something to have been written about a preacher who was killed on a cross? In fact, where are all the original biblical manuscripts?
For one source of alternative explanations I might suggest a series called Forbidden History. Many topics are explored, including religious history. Scholars have unearthed many more gospels than those of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. Lots of interesting history about how Christianity as we know it came to be. Also, tales in the Bible that seem to have been borrowed or retold from far earlier civilizations.
All in all, interesting stuff for believers or non-believers. If you have an open mind, give it a try.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:13 PM

Just finished watching the Science channel Forbidden History season 5, episode 7, “Secret History of Jesus.” There we’re so many inconsistencies in the 42 minute show that it confirmed, in my mind, that a Historical Jesus never existed.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:20 AM

That's one belief.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

New Testament Trivia and Quizzes

If you are really knowledgeable about The Bible you might have some fun taking some of these Fun Trivia quizzes.

I do read it from time-to-time but not in an organized manner.

The site FunTrivia has many quizzes about many different religions.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, happen, god, things, bad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.