Joe Pesci in The Irishman. (2019)

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2019, 11:14 AM
Veteran member

Watched it on Netflix. As much as I love watching the acting of DeNiro, Pacino and Pesci, however, I thought they were too old for their parts, especially when CGI tried to make them look younger, they still walked like old men. And ever since I saw Pesci as Leo Getz in Lethal Weapon 2, I can't get that character out of my head. I think I would have also preferred a real Irishman playing Sheeran.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,593 Times in 5,190 Posts

It was so long that I slept through part of it. But, now I can't remember which part.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:02 PM

I thought it dragged a bit. But the comments about the makeup are right on. It was remarkable. I’m trying to separate my negative feeling for DeNiro but he was OK. Pesce and Pacino were fantastic.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemarySoso View Post
I thought it dragged a bit. But the comments about the makeup are right on. It was remarkable. I’m trying to separate my negative feeling for DeNiro but he was OK. Pesce and Pacino were fantastic.
You deserve a whole lot of credit if you can separate the negative feelings. Imagine him going from the Classics that he has been in to those that he made a few years ago. Could giving him Blue Eyes have been a possibly a mistake?

Plus the other thing. He's gotta go!
Old 11-30-2019, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

DeNiro.... no thanks!!
Old 11-30-2019, 08:55 PM
Sage

Why the negative feelings about DeNiro? Just curious, is it something to do with the roles he plays, is it his politics (which I don't know) or what? Don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Why the negative feelings about DeNiro? Just curious, is it something to do with the roles he plays, is it his politics (which I don't know) or what? Don't have a clue what you are talking about.
He is on Saturday Night Live quite often of late. He plays Robert Mueller in many skits.

He is one of our most talented actors no matter what his politics might be.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:49 PM
Sage

He is the parts he plays....a foul mouthed thug in public venues and appearances.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage

Okay, thanks. I don't keep up with Hollywood or the "Stars," obviously.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Sad for me to see how people allow "P" views to color everything they might be exposed to. Like high school, making decisions on stupid things instead of what should guide us is becoming prevelant.

As to the movie......I enjoyed very much the attention to detail in everything...wardrobe, sets and actual events. Always dramatic liscense, but in general very accurate it appears.

Having spent a lot of my early adult years in South Philly, I related to much of the characters, etc.

Overall, it was great.

I enjoy movies, plays, broadway, etc, NOT because if an actors feelings on anything, but realize, they do not forfeit the right to use their platform in any way they choose. If an actors opinions move you to ignore what they bring to our society, that is your loss and signifies a very closed mind.

Many on the world stage I find repugnant, but I still listen, investigate and consider what they say...that is how we grow and expand our minds.

Let's discuss a great movie and show respect for people doing their job, and save that hate for another thread.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Sad for me to see how people allow "P" views to color everything they might be exposed to. Like high school, making decisions on stupid things instead of what should guide us is becoming prevelant.

As to the movie......I enjoyed very much the attention to detail in everything...wardrobe, sets and actual events. Always dramatic liscense, but in general very accurate it appears.

Having spent a lot of my early adult years in South Philly, I related to much of the characters, etc.

Overall, it was great.

I enjoy movies, plays, broadway, etc, NOT because if an actors feelings on anything, but realize, they do not forfeit the right to use their platform in any way they choose. If an actors opinions move you to ignore what they bring to our society, that is your loss and signifies a very closed mind.

Many on the world stage I find repugnant, but I still listen, investigate and consider what they say...that is how we grow and expand our minds.

Let's discuss a great movie and show respect for people doing their job, and save that hate for another thread.
My dislike for DeNiro has nothing to do with his movies or hate or the referred to "P".....it is all about the foul mouthed language he uses in public forums. Which even by today's low standards is just not acceptable.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

I had a run in with DeNiro in Montauk many years ago, almost decked him he was such an ass!
Steve
Old 12-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

This was a better movie the second time I watched it. Is the guy with the bad language really a tough guy or is he an ACTOR? I don't care for him. Unfortunately, I was not casting the movie. I understand he had to be there in order to get Joe Pesci to come out of retirement. It is what it is. Who would have been the alternative to use anyway? He is a skilled ACTOR, I'll give him that.

The company that produced The Irishman was TriBeCa Productions. NICE. Owned by Foul Mouth himself. (Look it up yourself or believe me) Let's see. A possible conversation, who really knows? Hey, Marty, I'll act in your movie if you get Pacino and Pesci Oh and one other thing you have to use my Production Company. This for that? Where have I heard that before? Its all about the movie and the going's on behind the scenes are very interesting also. It may not have happened like that but come on!

LOVED THE MOVIE. Maybe we'll watch it again today?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
This was a better movie the second time I watched it. Is the guy with the bad language really a tough guy or is he an ACTOR? I don't care for him. Unfortunately, I was not casting the movie. I understand he had to be there in order to get Joe Pesci to come out of retirement. It is what it is. Who would have been the alternative to use anyway? He is a skilled ACTOR, I'll give him that.

The company that produced The Irishman was TriBeCa Productions. NICE. Owned by Foul Mouth himself. (Look it up yourself or believe me) Let's see. A possible conversation, who really knows? Hey, Marty, I'll act in your movie if you get Pacino and Pesci Oh and one other thing you have to use my Production Company. This for that? Where have I heard that before? Its all about the movie and the going's on behind the scenes are very interesting also. It may not have happened like that but come on!

LOVED THE MOVIE. Maybe we'll watch it again today?
The Irishman (2019 film - Wikipedia) Making the movie was DeNiro's idea after he read the book. I Heard You Paint Houses - Wikipedia
Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Do not want to give the plot line to those who have not watched, but it is interesting to read some of the dialogue on the accuracy, not of most of the movie but the conclusions (based on confessions, etc) but it continues to be a real mystery
Closed Thread

Tags
irishman, pesci, interesting, netflix, november

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.