The Lady Killers (1955)

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Sage
Default Classic Movies - Reviews and Discussion

I've been watching quite a few old movies that are considered by many to be classics. I love doing that and have done it for a long time. I suddenly had the idea of sharing quick-takes of these movies. And I do mean quick-takes. No lengthy analyses or anything.

It will be my own personal opinion, with a rating of 1-10. The rating will be strictly my level of enjoyment. Not a true reflection of artistic quality. The"review" will also often be slanted toward a how-does-it-measure-up-to-today's-movies.

(And just for the record...I may throw in a not-so-old-and-classic movie at any time. Sue me. I promise...the majority will be older classics.)

Obviously the ToTV gang is encouraged to contribute.

Well, here's the first one. The Lady Killers...yes...the 1955 version...

The Ladykillers (1955) - Rotten Tomatoes

Kinda cute with good some good characters...like Peter Sellers before he was Inspector Clouseau. But also very corny by today's standards. I will say this, I didn't suspect the direction the movie would take until the very end.

(Warning: I'm a pretty tough rater. So don't let the following relatively low rating keep you from giving it a try...heheh.)

PB Rating: 6/10

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-15-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I'll add the original "The Bad Seed" to your lists. I see that they are doing a remake, but the original is absolutely harrowing. I don't know if it is still around, it was made in 1956 and I can still vividly remember it. A true psychological thriller. I'll give it a 10/10 it was that good. The Bad Seed (1956) - Rotten Tomatoes

Anyone remember that?

By the way, my other half will get all excited about a really old movie and then give up after half an hour, the acting etc., is so different.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 09-14-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I've been watching quite a few old movies that are considered by many to be classics. I love doing that and have done it for a long time. I suddenly had the idea of sharing quick-takes of these movies. And I do mean quick-takes. No lengthy analyses or anything.

It will be my own personal opinion, with a rating of 1-10. The rating will be strictly my level of enjoyment. Not a true reflection of artistic quality. The"review" will also often be slanted toward a how-does-it-measure-up-to-today's-movies.

(And just for the record...I may throw in a not-so-old-and-classic movie at any time. Sue me. I promise...the majority will be older classics.)

Obviously the ToTV gang is encouraged to contribute.

Well, here's the first one. The Lady Killers...yes...the 1955 version...

The Ladykillers (1955) - Rotten Tomatoes

Kinda cute with good some good characters...like Peter Sellers before he was Inspector Clouseau. But also very corny by today's standards. I will say this, I didn't suspect the direction the movie would take until the very end.

(Warning: I'm a pretty tough rater. So don't let the following relatively low rating keep you from giving it a try...heheh.)

PB Rating: 6/10
I liked the Tom Hanks' remake especially certain details. Will have to check this 1955 movie out some time.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Sage

Thanks for the replies. I already have two movies to add to my list.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

The original (1962) Cape Fear with Robert Mitchum, Gregory Peck, and Polly Bergen. (This one came to mind because of the current hurricane news.)

I saw Cape Fear decades ago and still remember how scary it was. (I never watch scary movies now. I guess I was braver then.)

There was a remake in 1991 with Robert De Niro, Nick Nolte, and Jessica Lang. But I have not seen that one and have no intention of doing so. I am still scared from the first one.

It is described as a psychological thriller. I guess it was because I still remember it. Mitchum scared the heck out of me.

(Polar Bear, this could turn out to be a really interesting thread, but may I suggest you change the title from “Lady Killers” to something that indicates it is a thread to discuss old movies, in general — not just the one in the title.)

Last edited by Boomer; 09-15-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Polar Bear;1581106]

I was just talking to my otherhalf about The Bad Seed and he brought to my attention that it would have been impossible for me to be at the movies in 1956. So my question to you, the movie buff, did they reissue these movies through the years?

I agree with Boomer, interesting thread and a change of title would bring more people into this chat.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-15-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I liked the Tom Hanks' remake especially certain details. Will have to check this 1955 movie out some time.
Those of you who see this 2004 remake of Ladykillers was made by the Coen Bros, don't get too excited. I made the same mistake and went to the theater to see this mess of a film. It's without a doubt, the worse Coen Bros movie they've ever made. I believe Tom Hanks was probably duped by their reputation, how all this talent could turn out such a horrible film, I do not know. I gave it a 4 out of 10, it right up there with Bonfire of the Vanities for Tom Hanks. If you enjoy hearing Tom Hanks talk like he's from Savannah for 90 minutes and like hearing the F-word every five seconds, then this film is for you. After seeing this film, you'll realize that neither Tom Hanks or the Coen Bros have ever seen the original.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-15-2018, 09:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
The original (1962) Cape Fear with Robert Mitchum, Gregory Peck, and Polly Bergen. (This one came to mind because of the current hurricane news.)

I saw Cape Fear decades ago and still remember how scary it was. (I never watch scary movies now. I guess I was braver then.)

There was a remake in 1991 with Robert De Niro, Nick Nolte, and Jessica Lang. But I have not seen that one and have no intention of doing so. I am still scared from the first one...
I've seen both Cape Fears, although it's been awhile. The remake is very scary, I actually avoided watching it a second time because the DeNiro character is so unlikeable, he's even nuttier than he was in Taxi Driver. It's not a masterpiece, I gave it a 7 out of 10. However, due to DeNiro using his position as an actor to educate us on our elected officials, I've declared him and his movies off limits.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-15-2018, 09:38 AM
Sage

While were naming films we like, I'll go with Sunset Boulevard (1950). Everytime this film airs on TCM I have to record it and watch it again. Fans of William Holden, this is one of his best. I know this film is often performed as a play, I believe Glenn Close has been doing this for years.

It's the story of a faded 20's silent screen star known as Norma Desmond, played by Gloria Swanson. She lives in a Beverly Hills mansion and William Holden, a struggling movie script writer, is chased by repo men who are after his car. He just so happens to pull into Norma Desmond's home to avoid capture. He thinks the place is abandoned at first, because it's not in immaculate condition. Soon he's spotted by the butler, the only other person living there besides Norman, and they think he's to handle the funeral for Norma's pet monkey who has just died. After he explains who he really is and Norma finds out he's a writer, she hires him to tighten up a script that she wants to make into a film. A 10 out of 10 stars!!

The Villages Florida
Old 09-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Sage
Default Play and movie-- Harvey.

Harvey (1950) - Rotten Tomatoes

I saw the play at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis around 1990 and also have seen this James Steward starring 1950 version quite a few times. Too many to count.

They also had The Front Page at the Guthrie when I has season tickets and that is also a very good movie. The Front Page (1931 film - Wikipedia

There are a number of different movie versions of The Front Page. The Front Page (1974 film - Wikipedia)

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-15-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:59 AM
Sage

Boomer and Madelaine Amee...Done. (Argh. I thought it was done. Can’t you change the name of a thread?)

Great idea. I agree entirely. Now maybe we can generate enough discussion to compete with the Thread About Nothing!! Okay...okay...I’ll try to keep my goals more realistic.

LOL! As most of you probably already knew...duh...the name of this thread couldn't be changed. So just head to the new thread mentioned in subsequent posts.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-15-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Boomer and Madelaine Amee...Done. (Argh. I thought it was done. Can’t you change the name of a thread?)

Great idea. I agree entirely. Now maybe we can generate enough discussion to compete with the Thread About Nothing!! Okay...okay...I’ll try to keep my goals more realistic.
You usually cannot change the name of a thread after someone else had added an entry.

Start a new one about favorite classic movies.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
You usually cannot change the name of a thread after someone else had added an entry.

Start a new one about favorite classic movies.
Yeah. I think I knew that. Just forgot. It is done, Tal.

Keep the movie talk coming, folks. Here's the new thread...

Classic Movies - Reviews and Discussion
Old 09-15-2018, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:

THANK YOU PBEAR, now hopefully we will have a good discussion on the old time movies and movie stars. I still have to find out when I saw The Bad Seed!!!

Old 09-15-2018, 10:31 AM
Sage

Just one more attempt to hopefully clarify, here is a link to the new thread to continue this discussion...

Classic Movies - Reviews and Discussion
Closed Thread

Tags
rating, lady, killers, good, movies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.