Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. Two Screens at Rialto.

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2018, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. Two Screens at Rialto.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018) - Rotten Tomatoes

I cannot believe they put this at the Rialto. What are they thinking here in the Villages?

It is on two screens, but still???

Looks like a fun movie. Love Lily James in just about anything. Like her acting in-- Darkest Hour, Baby Driver, and The Exception. Lily James - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 07-20-2018, 07:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I had a personal email discussion re the movie selection at Rialto - with a VERY high exec at "the Developer" about 10 mos ago. It seemed to be "corrected" for a while.
We went to Rialto see Catcher Was A Spy last week. First time at Rialto for almost a year. Thankfully few people there, no 'heads in front' - but the seats are horrible and the small screen up so high, sound system poor... reminded me why we seldom go to Rialto.

It's a shame we continue to endure such a dated theater. Esp when 'they' put such a highly anticipated movie as MMII. ONLY reason I can see is to populate Rialto. BTW there was an indication in our emails that a re-do of Rialto was planned at some time.

I'm done - for those who love Rialto, I understand. really.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I had a personal email discussion re the movie selection at Rialto - with a VERY high exec at "the Developer" about 10 mos ago. It seemed to be "corrected" for a while.
We went to Rialto see Catcher Was A Spy last week. First time at Rialto for almost a year. Thankfully few people there, no 'heads in front' - but the seats are horrible and the small screen up so high, sound system poor... reminded me why we seldom go to Rialto.

It's a shame we continue to endure such a dated theater. Esp when 'they' put such a highly anticipated movie as MMII. ONLY reason I can see is to populate Rialto. BTW there was an indication in our emails that a re-do of Rialto was planned at some time.

I'm done - for those who love Rialto, I understand. really.
It will be very crowded there with their putting this movie at the Rialto. They will be turning people away more likely than not.

The seats are much better than they were along with other features at the Rialto. They did an overhaul a while ago there. I would have to check my posts on Talk of the Villages to find the dates of this remodeling.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Amazing

It is amazing.. We have only walked out on 2 movies in our history. One was "The American" and the other one was "Mama Mia". Each to his own?
Old 07-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
It is amazing.. We have only walked out on 2 movies in our history. One was "The American" and the other one was "Mama Mia". Each to his own?
Yes, to each their own. I love MM, everything about it is addictive for me.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-20-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Yes, to each their own. I love MM, everything about it is addictive for me.
Mamma Mia is a big favorite in the Villages.

I did not like The American but have seen it a few times. Have to check the details with George Clooney movies.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:12 AM
Sage

There are around 21 movies spread over 3 theaters. I don't have any data about how many weeks on average they are around but to keep it simple how about 3 weeks. I have a moviepass so I see a lot more movies then ever before. But from time to time it doesn't work and I go back home.

A lot of people have moviepasses. Why not show a movie for 1 week at each of 3 different theaters? Before moviepass I would put a lot more planning into going to the movies. Now I go at a whim. With a quicker turn over to your local theater I think there would be a lot more movie goers overall.

For example Moma Mia is at the realto. In the past I would plan my day around that. With moviepass once I get there if it doesn't work, I go back home. So I'll think twice because that takes almost an hour. If I know it's coming to Brownwood, I'll wait and I'll go at a moments notice, like impulse spending. If moviepass doesn't work I only wasted 10 minutes.

I paid $105 for moviepass in April and have seen 32 movies. For me even with all of it's faults it's a deal.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Sage

Moviepass simply doesn't work? I certainly would object to somebody rather than just turning around and going home. Or at least pursue it aggressively after going back home.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Moviepass simply doesn't work? I certainly would object to somebody rather than just turning around and going home. Or at least pursue it aggressively after going back home.
The theater does not represent moviepass. I could pay for my ticket and try to get if refunded from moviepass. I'm happy this has only happened 3 times.

My idea is in the best interest of theaters and movie goers. I live 5 minutes away for the theater. Doesn't it make a lot of sense to start a movie in one location and move it to another the next 2 weeks making it easier for me and others to go to 3 times as many movies?

I should email or call the theaters. The next time I go I'll talk over my idea with management.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
.... Why not show a movie for 1 week at each of 3 different theaters? ..................
The theaters make the least revenue during the first week. There is a sliding scale where the longer it runs the percentage the theater keeps goes up. So moving the movie around would make it easier for your viewing scenario, but much less profitable for the theater. Those turned away due to full capacity will likely come back later.

Interesting article about where your movie money goes:

WHERE MOVIE TICKET INCOME GOES - The New York Times

(Asst manager for movie theater 4 yrs college. Saw Exorcist over 100 times.)

Note: I do have a suggestion you can pass on to management. Offer a cheaper price for the "Last Week. " Might attract more last minute viewers where the profit is highest.

Last edited by SFSkol; 07-20-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
The theaters make the least revenue during the first week. There is a sliding scale where the longer it runs the percentage the theater keeps goes up. So moving the movie around would make it easier for your viewing scenario, but much less profitable for the theater. Those turned away due to full capacity will likely come back later.

Interesting article about where your movie money goes:

WHERE MOVIE TICKET INCOME GOES - The New York Times

(Asst manager for movie theater 4 yrs college. Saw Exorcist over 100 times.)

Note: I do have a suggestion you can pass on to management. Offer a cheaper price for the "Last Week. " Might attract more last minute viewers where the profit is highest.
That is a pretty old article. Anyone have something more current than 1987?
Old 07-20-2018, 02:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
That is a pretty old article. Anyone have something more current than 1987?
It really has not changed much. Here's a more current, albeit more confounded article.

How is a cinema's box office income distributed?
Closed Thread

Tags
rialto, screens, love, james, lily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.