The Meg.

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Thumbs up The Meg.

The Meg (2018) - Rotten Tomatoes

If you liked the various Sharknado movies, you should love this one. Way over the top.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I wanted to see 'Meg' until I looked at IMDB, it has a 6.2 rating from 11,000 so far. I've always made it a rule not to see anyting under a 7.0 at the theater and I've not been disappointed too much by using that standard. I believe it was Friday, Rainn Wilson was on GMA and is in the film and they showed some excerpts, as a big fan of The Office, I then started reading reviews thinking the 6.2 score might go up. The reviews on IMDB from the public are brutal, normally if there is one or two I can ignore that, but there are dozens and dozens of terrible reviews.

To top it off, TV put the film at the Rialto at SS, the worse place to see a film, especially a summer blockbuster where visual effects and sound would be most important to the film. Did they see it cost $150 million to make, doesn't TV film people do some analysis of the films they're going to show. They're some good reviews IMDB such as this;

Ignore the haters and have fun!!

Just remember you're not watching Shakespeare, and you'll have a great time. Statham is always great, FX were spot on IMHO, liked concept and story. My only 'niggle' was this constant and obvious pandering to the Chinese market, not for narrative purposes but for money. Skyscraper was the same, loved the film but too much of an obvious attempt was made to grab the Chinese market, tone it down a bit Hollywood! Anyway, ignore the haters, view it for what it is and have a great time - I did! (nobody paid me for this review incidentally)

Unfortunately most of the reviews are like this one

Predictable, cliched and corny

Saw a preview of The Meg this evening as a Sky VIP member. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this. I know it's a shark film and should know what to expect, but this was so predictable I had to tell my wife to keep quiet, as she was telling me what was going to happen next,every 5 minutes and every time she was correct ! There are some scenes that are almost a Jaws clone but there is none of the suspense or shock, so brilliantly delivered in the original Spielberg offering. The worst part of the film for me, was the poor humour and one liners, relentlessly thrown about. One minute somebody's best friend, or father is killed, next minute everyone's having a giggle about some crap shark joke, seconds before the ship they are on, is about to be attacked. Too much corny humour and not enough suspense. On review read "Jaws on Steroids" to me it was more like "Jaws on Valium" combined with "Carry on Shark Fishing."
Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I wanted to see 'Meg' until I looked at IMDB, it has a 6.2 rating from 11,000 so far. I've always made it a rule not to see anyting under a 7.0 at the theater and I've not been disappointed too much by using that standard. I believe it was Friday, Rainn Wilson was on GMA and is in the film and they showed some excerpts, as a big fan of The Office, I then started reading reviews thinking the 6.2 score might go up. The reviews on IMDB from the public are brutal, normally if there is one or two I can ignore that, but there are dozens and dozens of terrible reviews.

To top it off, TV put the film at the Rialto at SS, the worse place to see a film, especially a summer blockbuster where visual effects and sound would be most important to the film. Did they see it cost $150 million to make, doesn't TV film people do some analysis of the films they're going to show. They're some good reviews IMDB such as this;

Ignore the haters and have fun!!

Just remember you're not watching Shakespeare, and you'll have a great time. Statham is always great, FX were spot on IMHO, liked concept and story. My only 'niggle' was this constant and obvious pandering to the Chinese market, not for narrative purposes but for money. Skyscraper was the same, loved the film but too much of an obvious attempt was made to grab the Chinese market, tone it down a bit Hollywood! Anyway, ignore the haters, view it for what it is and have a great time - I did! (nobody paid me for this review incidentally)

Unfortunately most of the reviews are like this one

Predictable, cliched and corny

Saw a preview of The Meg this evening as a Sky VIP member. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this. I know it's a shark film and should know what to expect, but this was so predictable I had to tell my wife to keep quiet, as she was telling me what was going to happen next,every 5 minutes and every time she was correct ! There are some scenes that are almost a Jaws clone but there is none of the suspense or shock, so brilliantly delivered in the original Spielberg offering. The worst part of the film for me, was the poor humour and one liners, relentlessly thrown about. One minute somebody's best friend, or father is killed, next minute everyone's having a giggle about some crap shark joke, seconds before the ship they are on, is about to be attacked. Too much corny humour and not enough suspense. On review read "Jaws on Steroids" to me it was more like "Jaws on Valium" combined with "Carry on Shark Fishing."
Do agree that the Rialto is a poor choice for the special effects driven movies.

Some of the other audience reviews of The Meg are a whole lot more positive than the ones quoted above.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

Enjoyed it more the 2nd time around.
Closed Thread

Tags
bigbow, love, top, movies, meg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.