MONTHLY MoviePass

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Question MONTHLY MoviePass

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT

I’m interested in the MoviePass. If you participate in this $10.00 a month service, please let me know if it is legitimate, if you have had any problems with it, if it is worth the money spent.
Any and all responses will help me make an informed decision. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We've been members for over a month. It's an unbelievable deal. $9.95/mo and can see any 2d movie every day. All 3 TV theaters take the pass. You get a Movie Pass card in your name which is like a debit card. You need to have a smartphone with the app loaded. Be near the theater (100' or so), and go to the app, the TV theater and click on the movie & time. Seconds later the app says Purchase the Ticket. Go to the box office, show your TV ID, tell them the movie/time and give them the MP card. They run it and you sign the receipt, and get your ticket. I asked a couple times if many people use MP and they say...A lot.

In the last month we saw about 9 movies - for just about the price of one ($8.50 for TV residents).

MP also had a deal a week ago that we signed up for - $69.95 for the year, which we upgraded to.

some info from the net>

The deal, put simply, goes like this: For a $9.95 monthly fee, you have the option to see up to one movie in theaters per day, every day.

The company, run by Netflix co-founder and former Redbox president Mitch Lowe, wants to be a major disrupter in the industry — think, well, Netflix. But since it was launched in 2011, the service hasn’t gained much traction and remains under-used. MoviePass is hoping this new deal changes that.It slashed its monthly pricing from as much as $50 a month to less than $10. In the process, its subscriber rolls swelled. When it sold, the company has roughly 20,000 subscribers. Now it has north of 600,000. Recently, MoviePass announced it had raised $100 million to fund operations. Even though MoviePass is operating in the red, the company believes that it will be able to monetize the data it collects on its customers or that it will drive so much foot traffic to theaters that they will give them some kind of discount.

MoviePass is trying to become the Netflix of cinema-going, but right now it seems to be more focused on building a customer base than turning a profit. The company pays theaters the full price for a ticket, so it is in essence subsidizing its users’ movie-going and losing money each time they check out a film. The average movie ticket cost $8.60 through the first three quarters of 2017. In some major cities, such as Los Angeles and New York, it sets customers back more than $10. MoviePass said its one-year subscription plan will be available only for a limited time.

Last edited by DeanFL; 12-05-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

I've seen 11 movies in the last month. Going this morning to see Coco.You don't even need to have a village ID. They charge the card not you. 2 passes per home address. One ticket per card. One ticket booth attendant asked for id for the moviepass card so it might be difficult to give to someone else to use. (I think they thought it was a normal credit card.) But after the ticket is purchased who knows.

You will occasionally get an email questionnaire about the movie you saw. Did you take someone, buy stuff, like the movie...

Last edited by SFSkol; 12-05-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:28 PM

It’s well worth it. If you see just two movies a month, you are way ahead.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

I've had it for a couple of months and it has been great with one exception. They are woefully understaffed for the HUGE increase in business they got when they dropped the price to $10/month (it had been around $50 if I recall). The expiration date on the credit card I had given them when I signed up expired and the application kept saying that the update wasn't accepted when I put new information in. I've been sending them emails, starting work tickets and trying to call or chat them for a week and they finally reached out to me tonight and said everything had gone through even though it had showed to me that it hadn't. I need to go see a movie tomorrow to see if it takes. My neighbor behind me bought a MoviePass for her husband and has had a lot of trouble getting the card activated this past week. Apparently MoviePass is just swamped. Still, it works real nice when it works!

PS - MoviePass does NOT work for "upcharge" movies, like 3D movies, IMAX presentations and shows at Dolby Digital theaters (like the one in the AMC theater in Apopka). You can't even pay for part of the ticket to those shows with MoviePass. Still, if you like 2D movies at any of The Villages theaters and see more than one a month, it's a great deal.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Based on everyone’s responses to my question, I decided to purchase a three month movie pass subscription. Have no idea what happens next! I paid my money by credit card and now I hope for the best. I’m not sure if I should expect something in the mail or something by email However, I am confident that if nothing happens in the next 10 days someone on this forum is going to be able to help me. I just want to thank everyone for responding and for being so detailed and your responses. I’m pretty excited about the opportunity being offered and I’m hoping I will be able to report back to you and let you know how things went.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and happy View Post
Based on everyone’s responses to my question, I decided to purchase a three month movie pass subscription. Have no idea what happens next! I paid my money by credit card and now I hope for the best. I’m not sure if I should expect something in the mail or something by email However, I am confident that if nothing happens in the next 10 days someone on this forum is going to be able to help me. I just want to thank everyone for responding and for being so detailed and your responses. I’m pretty excited about the opportunity being offered and I’m hoping I will be able to report back to you and let you know how things went.

Fear not - as described on their site...you will receive your Movie Pass card in the mail in 5-7 days. That's all you will need, plus your Smartphone with their app. simple and so, so worth it - see a few movies a month and.... With our 3 TV theaters so close and the variety of movies, if you have the time...bingo.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:27 PM

I had one issue with Movie Pass worth passing on. I had forgot my phone, so I tried to use my wife's phone. I logged her out and I logged into my MP account. It would not allow me to check-in. Check-in is what it is called when one selects the movie to go see. I went ahead and paid for the movie myself, contacted MP about the situation and they refunded the price of the ticket to my credit card on file. All I had to do was send them a scan of the ticket stub. The response was quick to my question and I had to follow up once on the credit. Overall very good service.

Anyhow, I found out that each person needs their own phone. That the account is indirectly tied to a single phone. I don't think the phone is registered to the account, but as a way to control sharing, they must prevent the same phone from obtaining a ticket to the same showing even when using two MP accounts.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Veteran member

So just to clarify for me: I gather you need a card for each person and each of those people need a smart phone on them to order the ticket right before you go up to the window to order the tickets? Is the web site to order the tickets someplace?
Old 12-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
So just to clarify for me: I gather you need a card for each person and each of those people need a smart phone on them to order the ticket right before you go up to the window to order the tickets? Is the web site to order the tickets someplace?
That is correct. It is a 2 step process.

When you sign up, you need to load the app on your phone. They will send you a Red "Movie Pass" MasterCard. You need both to use the service. You also need one for just you and your friend/spouse/ etc need to sign up, load the app and receive the "Movie Pass MasterCard also.

You pick the movie you want to see and show time on your phone, using the "Movie Pass" app. Go to the theater and when within 100 yards can select that movie/time on your phone. It will show a spinner and when finished processing, about 30 seconds, it will say "Success". I think you can buy tickets earlier in the day as well for a later showing because you select the time from the app., but we haven't tried that.

Then you go to the box office with your red Movie Pass "MasterCard" and "purchase the ticket. You will sign the charge slip and receive your ticket.

There are no charges for any box office purchase. You are charged the monthly $10.00. That's all.

I think the theaters are happy to have more people filling seats and buying $15.00 worth of popcorn and drinks. So it is a win/win!

We have used it and love it. I jumped on the $69.00/year offer when it came out. Hubby didn't do it right away and that deal is gone! But still for $10.00 a month you can see movies everyday if you want. The only rule is that you can't see the same film twice.

Great deal!!

Last edited by dotti105; 12-13-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You pick the movie you want to see and show time on your phone, using the "Movie Pass" app. Go to the theater and when within 100 yards can select that movie/time on your phone. It will show a spinner and when finished processing, about 30 seconds, it will say "Success". I think you can buy tickets earlier in the day as well for a later showing because you select the time from the app., but we haven't tried that.
I had to scroll down on my iPhone 4s phone screen to see the SUCCESS notice. Missed it the first few attempts, yes buying for a later show works.

(Nice explanation)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:17 AM

Can you purchase this as a gift for someone else if you have your own account? Looking to buy as Christmas presents for family if possible. Thanks,
Old 12-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYTeacher View Post
Can you purchase this as a gift for someone else if you have your own account? Looking to buy as Christmas presents for family if possible. Thanks,
Answer - per Movie Pass site - is Yes.

Moviepass

Be mindful that one individual can have and use the Movie Pass and must have their own Smartphone to bring up the app.

The MoviePass site should have answers to most FAQs.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Sage

Costco has it for $90

MoviePass and Fandor 12 Month Subscription eVoucher
Old 12-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
$94.49 for non costco members
Closed Thread

Tags
moviepass, spent, worth, money, problems

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.