Movie/Book Combos

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2020, 04:40 PM
Sage
Default Movie/Book Combos

The movie The Silence of the Lambs is on my list of all time favorites. I've watched it several times and I appreciate it more every time. I'm like that with my favorite movies. I love 'em the first time I watch them and then my appreciation grows each additional time I watch them.

Now I'm about half way through reading the novel The Silence of the Lambs. I never have read it. I'm really enjoying it. And I plan on watching the movie again as soon as I finish the book.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - Rotten Tomatoes

The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter, #2) by Thomas Harris

Anyway, particularly since we're relying more than usual on at-home entertainment, I thought I'd raise the general topic of movie/book combos for discussion. So let's hear it, folks. And I particularly welcome examples where both the movie and the book are really good.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 04-29-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:14 PM
Veteran member

Harry Potter. You did not mention series but I would like to add Outlander and All Creatures Great and Small.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest had both a great movie and a great book.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 04-29-2020, 06:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
Harry Potter. You did not mention series but I would like to add Outlander and All Creatures Great and Small.
Consider that door open. Book(s)/movie(s) combo for series is cool too.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I really do not like either seeing a movie if I have read the book, or seeing the movie and then reading the book. I am a one or the other kinda person.

But, Mr. Bear ......... great idea for a thread, it does not make my blood pressure spike like the virus threads.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-30-2020, 07:04 AM
Gold member

The Lincoln Lawyer. Book by Michael Connelley; Movie starring Matthew Mcconaughey as attorney Mickey Haller. I thought the movie followed the book pretty well.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I really do not like either seeing a movie if I have read the book, or seeing the movie and then reading the book. I am a one or the other kinda person.

But, Mr. Bear ......... great idea for a thread, it does not make my blood pressure spike like the virus threads.
I hadn't really thought about that one-or-the-other feeling. But I think I can understand it. Do you feel that one might ruin the other for you or something along those lines?

And just because I started this thread doesn't mean I've read and watched a whole bunch of book/movie combos. Heheh. Luckily the ones I have I've really liked both.

Another that comes to mind is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Both are just wonderful. The first movie...The Fellowship of the Ring...is one my all-time-favorites list. But all three books and movies are really good. (2newyorkers...does this count as a series. Not television of course, but still a trilogy of movies/books. )

And by the way, Ms. Amee, thanks for the kind words regarding the thread. Yes...I get to where I just want to read about anything other that the C word.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:59 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

To Kill a Mockingbird - the movie followed my favorite book perfectly.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I hadn't really thought about that one-or-the-other feeling. But I think I can understand it. Do you feel that one might ruin the other for you or something along those lines?

And just because I started this thread doesn't mean I've read and watched a whole bunch of book/movie combos. Heheh. Luckily the ones I have I've really liked both.

Another that comes to mind is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Both are just wonderful. The first movie...The Fellowship of the Ring...is one my all-time-favorites list. But all three books and movies are really good. (2newyorkers...does this count as a series. Not television of course, but still a trilogy of movies/books. )

And by the way, Ms. Amee, thanks for the kind words regarding the thread. Yes...I get to where I just want to read about anything other that the C word.
OK, I'll try to explain my one or the other comment. When I read I get right into a book. I put a face on the characters and a voice and even a personality. I disappear into a book, so much so that sometimes I even dream about the story line. So when they make a movie about "MY" book they put their own spin on my people and it either ruins the book for me or ruins the movie, depending upon which I have watched or read first.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
OK, I'll try to explain my one or the other comment. When I read I get right into a book. I put a face on the characters and a voice and even a personality. I disappear into a book, so much so that sometimes I even dream about the story line. So when they make a movie about "MY" book they put their own spin on my people and it either ruins the book for me or ruins the movie, depending upon which I have watched or read first.
So far the book/movie combos that I've read/watched have done a pretty good job conveying my perception of the main characters from one to the other. But if they didn't, I could see it really ruining the experience. I can definitely understand your feelings.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, movie, movie/book, combos, book

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.