Movie "language"

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Movie "language"

I'm not a prude... but the #$@%&! language in most R films nowadays is, well, a lot of it. And much of it seems gratuitous. The Hollywood types and 'youngfolks' may use it extensively, but it seems SO overused.

We saw Gone Girl, and a lot of F, MF, and C. No doubt the book had it there as well.

Last night saw BirdMan - yikes. Couldn't count the vast # of Fs and MFs etc.

Imitation Game and Theory of Everything, as expected was not crude. American Sniper, a bit.

Pls before you say. "well it's your choice to see a movie"...I know, but c'mon. We wanted to see some of the Best Pictures nominees.

Again, it just seems that Hollywood is getting SO crude. Next thing we know a remake of Mary Poppins will be R rated.
I must be getting old. Need a nap.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Usually in a drama like Gone Girl or American Sniper it didn't seem out of place to me because they were going through anguish or it was part of their daily lifestyle. I know when I came home after spending a year in Korea, I caught myself almost dropping the F word a few times at my parents.

What bothers me is the modern day comedies, take Seth Rogen comedies for example, or most anyone of the newer comedies. Every sentence has the F word. Go back and watch Airplane, Animal House, Raising Arizona, Caddy Shack to name a few. Some of my favorite comedies and you can count the F words on one hand. One exception was the Big Labowski, that was funny and maybe Jeff Bridges and John Goodman could of dialed it back a little, but it all seems to fit in that movie. In defense, O Brother and Napolean Dynamite are fairly new and had very little profanity and I liked them both.

In Birdman, when Michael Keaton is thrashing his dressing room and cussing up a storm, the couple in front of us got up and walked out, the theater was packed and everyone stayed. I thought a short time later, the final hour made that film and I regret that couple missed that and probably think the movie stunk. Imitation Game was very good, I think the time period and the characters background dictated the language should remain proper and the film worked.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's why they are rated "R".

I do agree however. Most of the time, it's just unnecessary.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:43 PM

I agree with you, Dean. I spent over 20 years in the Army and I don't think I heard as many F-bombs as we do in today's movies. I'm sure the first director who included a lot of profanity (maybe Martin Scorsese) was really proud of opening that door but it seems like every director thinks that people talk that way all the time. I like realism in movies but I don't think the language being used is realistic at all. Doesn't anyone say "shoot" anymore?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The permissive society gets what it deserves.

My benchmark is this all started with the Godfather series of movies and has gone downhill since. In days gone by a lot of violence was implied or cut away and left the rest to one's imagination. It was very effective and many outstanding mivies made and enjoyed.

Enter the violence, murder, rape, mayhem, dis-membering, beheading, F bombs and what ever else is exploited to a fault. It is not needed to that level to be effective.

It continues and gets progressively worse each year so I must be in the minority. But I do have a very low tolerance for trashy and violent for the sake of trashy and violent.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Gold member

On some cable tv channels there's no holding back with the language either. I understand your displeasure and agree with you...nevertheless there is nothing we can do...getting older the world of today does leave us behind...every generation experiences this and dwelling won't make it change...party on...
Old 02-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Usually in a drama like Gone Girl or American Sniper it didn't seem out of place to me because they were going through anguish or it was part of their daily lifestyle. I know when I came home after spending a year in Korea, I caught myself almost dropping the F word a few times at my parents.

What bothers me is the modern day comedies, take Seth Rogen comedies for example, or most anyone of the newer comedies. Every sentence has the F word. Go back and watch Airplane, Animal House, Raising Arizona, Caddy Shack to name a few. Some of my favorite comedies and you can count the F words on one hand. One exception was the Big Labowski, that was funny and maybe Jeff Bridges and John Goodman could of dialed it back a little, but it all seems to fit in that movie. In defense, O Brother and Napolean Dynamite are fairly new and had very little profanity and I liked them both.

In Birdman, when Michael Keaton is thrashing his dressing room and cussing up a storm, the couple in front of us got up and walked out, the theater was packed and everyone stayed. I thought a short time later, the final hour made that film and I regret that couple missed that and probably think the movie stunk. Imitation Game was very good, I think the time period and the characters background dictated the language should remain proper and the film worked.
Very good points. I usually only swear when someone nearly pushes me into a car accident by reckless driving. Context is important for movies too even though I did like Ted quite a bit because it was about an extremely foul mouthed teddy bear.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Sage

My language changes with the company I am in.
I hardly ever curse down here.
I don't hear the cursing in the movie when it's in character.
I don't care for @#$% substituting for a curse. It doesn't work.
I don't like when people say "shoot" or "freakin" either. Get the word right or don't bother at all.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I'm not a prude... but the #$@%&! language in most R films nowadays is, well, a lot of it. And much of it seems gratuitous. The Hollywood types and 'youngfolks' may use it extensively, but it seems SO overused.

We saw Gone Girl, and a lot of F, MF, and C. No doubt the book had it there as well.

Imitation Game and Theory of Everything, as expected was not crude. American Sniper, a bit.

Pls before you say. "well it's your choice to see a movie"...I know, but c'mon. We wanted to see some of the Best Pictures nominees.

Again, it just seems that Hollywood is getting SO crude. Next thing we know a remake of Mary Poppins will be R rated.
Agree it has gone totally beyond reason. You have to decide what you're willing to tolerate and what is acceptable and for that reason we have not been to an R rated movie in years. Continuous streams of vulgarity do nothing for the movie and it's one thing to hear it occasionally and another to go where we know it will be intense or even worse bring it into our home. Though an occasional F bomb was heard when I was in the service it was nothing compared to the never ending string portrayed in some of the movies today.

This is a very good site to know what's going to be in a movie and even how many times it will be said. Click on complete content analysis for the details.

Kids-In-Mind: Movie ratings & parents' reviews that actually work

American Sniper: PROFANITY 10 - About 115 F-words and its derivatives.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post

Suggest you don't go to "R" rated movies!
Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 PM
Location: Brooklyn, NY; Staten Island, NY; Monroe, NY; Maple Grove, MN; The Villages

Agree completely with Dean. When I see an "R" rating I expect there will be some F-bombs, etc. dropped, but many times it is gratuitous. I think in certain settings it's okay (i.e. war movies, gangster/mafia, in the hood, etc.), but have seen it so overused in other films for example, Identity Theft, The Heat, 22 Jump Street (two of these we walked out on). Was all the cursing supposed to make it funnier or more interesting?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Gold member

The f-bomb is all they've got in their repertoire.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.