MoviePass and My Movie picks...

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default MoviePass and My Movie picks...

We have been MoviePass members for 3 months now. Decided it would be a good/fun use of time in winter. It has been - saw about 22 movies across the 3 TV theaters (and a couple at AMC12 Leesburg) for $9.95/mo. Actually we upgraded to the annual $90 year last month.
It's a SUPERB deal for those that want to see a few (or more) movies a month. Members can see a movie a day if they wish. There's more info re MP if you search ToTV for the term. But it was started by the co-founder of Netflix (mega$$$rich) and he wants to disrupt the movie business. The theaters get the full tic price so zero loss for them. There are over 1 MILLION MP members in the USA now.

OK. Here's my list of the Best movies seen that are out now and IMO very worthy to see:

- Jumanji... a fun flick for the family and adults/seniors. Top pick
- Greatest Showman... PT Barnum, with Hugh Jackman - a musical and really good.
- The Post... Spielberg/Hanks/Streep - Outstanding all around.
- Darkest Hour... Britain and Churchill and background of beginning of WWII - GREAT acting
- Star Wars... very good for buffs and non-buffs.
- All The Money in the World... JP Getty historical of handling the kidnapping of grandson - ex acting too.
- Last Flag Flying... interesting, captivating, funny, and sad.
- Lady Bird...quirky, odd storyline, but quite worthy.
- Shape of Water... same as above.
- Three Billboards... same.
- I, Tonya... same.

The MOST disappointing movie -despite star power hype and supposed interesting storyline> 'Downsizing' with Matt Damon. The 60 second Trailer had all the good parts - the last hour of the film was self-serving political and boring. And the terrible box office $$ reflect that.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Thanks, I don't have movie pass and because I have the Premier Package (10 HBO, 10 Cinemax, 8 Starz, 8 Showtime, MGM, Sony, etc all in HD) from Directv and a 75" LED TV with a huge surround sound, I usually wait until I can see most films on TV. The exception is 3D movies and once in awhile the curiosity factor will get me to go, Dunkirk was the film we saw at the theater.

I make a mental note to myself so reviews like yours are helpful, so when the film appears I know to record it. 3 Billboards seems like the Coen Bros film they didn't make and the Shape of Water who I like Sally Hawkins a lot after seeing her in Blue Jasmine, would of been flims I would be interested in. Downsizing as you say, was disappointing, I do like Kristin Wiig and might of considered that but I would of waited after reading more reviews. Darkest Hour sounds good, Star Wars I've got the last one recorded and it's been on my DVR for months, I've lost interest in them. The Post for reasons seems like a Hollywood liberal slant on today's politics and wouldn't interest me, althought I thought All the President's Men was a really good film. I, Tonya and Ladybird I will probably watch later on TV. The Showman and Jumanji just don't appeal to me, I skipped the original with Robin Williams. I do like Jack Black at times, but the Rock seems to make movies cheesie. Hugh Jackman seems to want to be a modern day Fred Astaire. If I had Movie Pass I would probably being doing the same, but I just don't have enough time to watch the stuff I already have recorded.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Gold member

Got a 6 month MoviePass for Christmas from our kids. Used it yesterday at Brownwood, easy peasy. Select your movie from the app, check in and then present your card at the box office. The only bummer was having to stand in line with over 200 people trying to go to the movies yesterday at Brownwood at 1p. And only 1 person working the box office!

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 01-19-2018, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

I won't go to a movie theater until they can stop people from turning on their cell phones.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I won't go to a movie theater until they can stop people from turning on their cell phones.

That was a much discussed subject about this time last year.

Death in a Pasco theater: 'stand your ground'?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:56 PM
Platinum member

During the 4 years going to the TV theaters - never had an issue with others cell phones, talking, or any other issues.
Any of those would sure make a movie irritating, so at least my experience has been fine here. May be that we seniors are in tune, follow instructions and obtained some common sense...
Old 01-21-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
OK. Here's my list of the Best movies seen that are out now and IMO very worthy to see:

- Jumanji... a fun flick for the family and adults/seniors. Top pick
- Greatest Showman... PT Barnum, with Hugh Jackman - a musical and really good.
- The Post... Spielberg/Hanks/Streep - Outstanding all around.
- Darkest Hour... Britain and Churchill and background of beginning of WWII - GREAT acting
- Star Wars... very good for buffs and non-buffs.
- All The Money in the World... JP Getty historical of handling the kidnapping of grandson - ex acting too.
- Last Flag Flying... interesting, captivating, funny, and sad.
- Lady Bird...quirky, odd storyline, but quite worthy.
- Shape of Water... same as above.
- Three Billboards... same.
- I, Tonya... same.

The MOST disappointing movie -despite star power hype and supposed interesting storyline> 'Downsizing' with Matt Damon...
Well, my curosity got me and yesterday I saw The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri. When I said 3 Billboards previews with Francis McDormand reminded me of the Coen Bros movie they didn't make, I couldn't be more right. Even to the point of having a terrible ending just like No Country for Old Men. I was watching trying to decide if I would rate it a 9 or 10, probably going with a 9 since the profanity was too over-the-top. Then the film ended with no ending, what made it worse was there was an ending sitting right there. When Dixon turned in the DNA if they had just changed the outcome of the test they would ended the film with a great ending. So with the ending they presented in the film I'll give it an 8.

The real surprise was The Shape of Water, even though I love Sideways and watched it 30 times, I have to say The Shape of Water is the best film since Forest Gump. If you're a person who can go to a film that is unbelievable, such as Forest Gump, and sit there and believe the film for two hours, then go see The Shape of Water. I predict it will be the next TNT or whatever network, weekend movie that they will repeat 3 or 4 times in a day such as Forest Gump, or Seven or Silence of the Lambs. It's the kind of film even though you know the outcome, you can watch over and over. It will probably become a great DVD gift for someone who hasn't seen the film.

The Shape of Water is science fiction, fantansy, a spy movie, a intense thriller, a love story, it has everything wrapped up into one. I knew Sally Hawkins was great from her role as the sister to Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine, and Richard Jenkins has always been a favorite ever since he played the father in Six Feet Under and Michael Shannon is the meanest SOB in every role he plays. If Sally Hawkins, who doesn't say a word in the whole film since she is mute, doesn't win Best Actress then I know there is something wrong in Hollywood. 10 Stars and I would give 11 if I could.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
During the 4 years going to the TV theaters - never had an issue with others cell phones, talking, or any other issues.
Any of those would sure make a movie irritating, so at least my experience has been fine here. May be that we seniors are in tune, follow instructions and obtained some common sense...
I don't know what you consider to be an "issue" but people turning on their phones in the dark to text or check their messages is an issue for me. It happens all the time.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know what you consider to be an "issue" but people turning on their phones in the dark to text or check their messages is an issue for me. It happens all the time.
My (and Merriam Webster) definition of issue:

a : a matter that is in dispute between two or more parties
b (1) : a vital or unsettled matter economic issues (2) : concern, problem I have issues with his behavior

Not an issue for me as in the past 4 years here in TV I believe I have personally seen only a few people in my sightline with their cell phone on during early showing of preview. Not after or during movie. That's MY experience. So - I don't consider it an issue for me. period. If it WAS an issue for me, I would certainly bring it to their attention.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:20 PM

We just got the MoviePass this month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
...in the past 4 years here in TV I believe I have personally seen only a few people in my sightline with their cell phone on during early showing of preview. Not after or during movie. That's MY experience...
Same here.
Closed Thread

Tags
movie, good, movies, members, moviepass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.