Movies You Can Watch Again & Again!

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

The American President, my all time favorite, with Michael Douglas and Annette Bening. I only wish we all could have had the opportunity to vote for Andrew Sheppard this year.

Last edited by Phanatic Luvr; 07-31-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:39 PM
Default Movies

Gladiator

Fiddler On The Roof
Old 07-30-2016, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

From recent times it has to be "Sideways", Jack and Miles trip through the wine country of California I find never gets old. I have probably seen it at least 35 times.

From my older favorites, "Chinatown"with Jack Nicholson. I never get tired of the film noir and the fact the story is not something simple you'll figure out in advance, it keeps you thinking. I've seen this one at least 50 times.

Also from my classic favorites, "Heaven can Wait". Everyone is great, Warren Beatty is perfect for this part, I became a big fan of Jack Warden after this, and Charles Grodin and Dylan Cannon were perfect. I've seen this one at least 50 times and it never gets old.

Another classic favorite is "Network". 'I'm Mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it Anymore", one of the greatest movie lines. The 1970's couldn't be anymore ripe for the invention of reality TV, it's pretty standard fare today, but in the 70's we thought it was so new and cool. If you've never seen this film and you enjoy reality TV, "America's Got Talent" for sure, watch this movie. I've seen this one at least 50 times.

I have so many more that when they come on I can't turn off, from Dirty Harry, Sunset Blvd, The Caine Mutiny, 12 Angry Men, Psycho, In Cold Blood, Bullitt, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, Mash, French Connection, American Graffitti, The Exorcist, Jaws, Taxi Driver, Dog Day Afternoon, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Animal House, Airplane, Alien, Caddyshack, Amadeus, Jagged Edge, Down & Out in Beverly Hills, Blue Velvet, Raising Arizona, The Player, Forest Gump, Se7en, American Beauty, Donnie Darko, all the Bourne movies, Napolean Dynamite, Collateral, Zodiac, Cloverfield, The Wrestler, Up in the Air, to name a few.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
From recent times it has to be "Sideways", Jack and Miles trip through the wine country of California I find never gets old. I have probably seen it at least 35 times.

From my older favorites, "Chinatown"with Jack Nicholson. I never get tired of the film noir and the fact the story is not something simple you'll figure out in advance, it keeps you thinking. I've seen this one at least 50 times.

Also from my classic favorites, "Heaven can Wait". Everyone is great, Warren Beatty is perfect for this part, I became a big fan of Jack Warden after this, and Charles Grodin and Dylan Cannon were perfect. I've seen this one at least 50 times and it never gets old.

Another classic favorite is "Network". 'I'm Mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it Anymore", one of the greatest movie lines. The 1970's couldn't be anymore ripe for the invention of reality TV, it's pretty standard fare today, but in the 70's we thought it was so new and cool. If you've never seen this film and you enjoy reality TV, "America's Got Talent" for sure, watch this movie. I've seen this one at least 50 times.

I have so many more that when they come on I can't turn off, from Dirty Harry, Sunset Blvd, The Caine Mutiny, 12 Angry Men, Psycho, In Cold Blood, Bullitt, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, Mash, French Connection, American Graffitti, The Exorcist, Jaws, Taxi Driver, Dog Day Afternoon, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Animal House, Airplane, Alien, Caddyshack, Amadeus, Jagged Edge, Down & Out in Beverly Hills, Blue Velvet, Raising Arizona, The Player, Forest Gump, Se7en, American Beauty, Donnie Darko, all the Bourne movies, Napolean Dynamite, Collateral, Zodiac, Cloverfield, The Wrestler, Up in the Air, to name a few.
All really good movies.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

Fiddler on the Roof
Old 07-31-2016, 06:35 AM
Sage
Talking Singin in the Rain.

Singin' in the Rain (1952) - Rotten Tomatoes

This movie usually cheers me up quite a bit.

Debbie Reynolds - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 07-31-2016, 08:08 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

2B, thank you for starting this thread. We have Netflix and Amazon, but sometimes when we want to watch a movie, we can't think of one. Clicking aimlessly through their buzillion titles, hoping for a hit, is most often pointless because we have never even heard of most of them.

This thread will help. I hope it continues.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
2B, thank you for starting this thread. We have Netflix and Amazon, but sometimes when we want to watch a movie, we can't think of one. Clicking aimlessly through their buzillion titles, hoping for a hit, is most often pointless because we have never even heard of most of them.

This thread will help. I hope it continues.
American Film Institute

There are many good lists out there.

I audited two courses at the University of Nevada, Reno in Film Criticism. The courses were taught at a movie theater in the MGM Grand in Reno, Nevada. Professor Howard Rosenberg taught these. Howard Rosenberg I love his 224 Mail Box.

I audited his classes in Westerns and Sci/Fi Horror and chatted a bit with his Teaching Assistant Kirk G., who had been in my Class of 1977 at Earl Wooster High School up to the point that I took correspondence courses at Reno High School and skipped my Senior Year.

All of the movies he discussed were worth watching quite often. I will try to recall many of these.

There is another Howard Rosenberg who was a "TV Guide" critic so the name may seem familiar but that man lives in Los Angeles and not Reno, Nevada. Former L.A. Times TV Critic Howard Rosenberg Enjoying the Life of Academia - NewspaperAlum

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-31-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:06 AM
Sage

I'll weigh in. The six movies readily available on my shelf for viewing are in no particular order are:

1. "The Shootist", with John Wayne, Lauren Bacall and Ron Howard.
2. "The Thin Man", with William Powell and Myrna Loy.
3. "Godfather"' we all know the players.
4. Godfather II.
5. The Best Years Of Our Lives with Frederick March, Myrna Loy, Dana Andrews and Harold Russell, (real WWII vet who lost both his hands in the war), and Hogey Carmichael of Stardust fame.
6. The Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Peter Lorrie, Sydney Greenstreet and Elijah Cook Jr.

A special mention to Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers.

There are many others, so............carry on.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-31-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Space Cowboys.
I’ll also cast a vote for Space Cowboys. If the choice had been mine alone, I would have never seen it, but my husband liked the stars and thought it was a good choice. When it ended, giant tears were streaming down my face. I headed out the theater’s side doors, hoping no one would see me. Nevertheless, two ladies heading toward the ticket booth passed and I heard one whisper reverently to the other “Did you see her...it must be a good movie”.

I’ll also vote for Bridges of Madison County. My DH and I had rented it and were watching at home. I was “in” Madison County, I was Meryl Streep/Francesca. It was a poignant moment, I was anguished...and suddenly the movie stops, my husband pops out of the recliner and says “I’ll make popcorn!”.

A third favorite which I don’t see replayed often but nevertheless enjoy is Murphy’s Romance with James Garner and Sally Fields.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Reading all these posts reminded me of other movies I have watched numerous times:
Being There (Peter Sellers): especially in this election year
Independence Day
Silver Streak: I laughed through most of the movie. Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor
Blazing Saddles: Gene Wilder and Cleavon Little.
Armageddon

MUST rent/find some of the other movies mentioned here, especially this summer!

Thanks for starting this thread!
Old 07-31-2016, 11:21 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
I’ll also cast a vote for Space Cowboys. If the choice had been mine alone, I would have never seen it, but my husband liked the stars and thought it was a good choice. When it ended, giant tears were streaming down my face. I headed out the theater’s side doors, hoping no one would see me. Nevertheless, two ladies heading toward the ticket booth passed and I heard one whisper reverently to the other “Did you see her...it must be a good movie”.

I’ll also vote for Bridges of Madison County. My DH and I had rented it and were watching at home. I was “in” Madison County, I was Meryl Streep/Francesca. It was a poignant moment, I was anguished...and suddenly the movie stops, my husband pops out of the recliner and says “I’ll make popcorn!”.

A third favorite which I don’t see replayed often but nevertheless enjoy is Murphy’s Romance with James Garner and Sally Fields.
I know what you mean. Sad tears. Happy tears. Not-sure-why tears. Know-all-too-well-why tears. I get 'em all...........

I just got all teary-eyed at the end of The Secret Life of Pets when all those people arrive at their homes and are greeted with all that sweet love. (I put on my sunglasses before I left the theater.)..........IwillnotgetanotherdogIwillnotgetanotherdog......

Boomer
Old 07-31-2016, 12:34 PM
Sage

In addition to some of those already mentioned, we have saved several on our DVR from the 30's that we watch over and over. Most of the Astaire-Rogers movies, along with the Thin Man series. Casablanca. Marx Brothers. My Man Godfrey and the similar Merrily We Live.

More recent. Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Goldfinger

Dr. Strangelove

Blade Runner

Apocalypse Now
Old 07-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Vacation....Men in black....27 Dresses

Tags
enjoy, movie, movies, pick, times

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.