New movie about us.

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

It looks like Cocoon, which was filmed in St. Petersburg, but without the Aliens.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-30-2020, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
It looks like Cocoon, which was filmed in St. Petersburg, but without the Aliens.

The Villages Florida

Except they were in better shape. Where the heck was this filmed. Doesn't look like a pool.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-30-2020, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Except they were in better shape. Where the heck was this filmed. Doesn't look like a pool.
I don't know what you mean, Don Ameche and Hugh Cronyn are in better shape than who? Villagers, you should go to MVP Gym at Brownwood and see some Villagers, or better yet, go to the Rec League Softball games, a lot Villagers are still in great shape in the 60's and 70's.

As I stated, the movie Cocoon was filmed in St. Petersburg. That pool house is on Park Street near Boca Ciega Bay in St. Pete, however the interior with the pool was shot in New Jersey.

Here's the director Rod Howard on the right and actor Wilford Brimley on the left behind the scenes of Cocoon. Great shape, Wilford Brimley was 49 years old when he made this movie.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-30-2020, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I think it is somewhat insulting. He and his sister are far too young to know what aging is like. Some of us are lucky enough to sail through the aging process and then there are many others who have a terrible time facing old age and if they are alone and lonely during this period in their lives they are an easy target.

There probably is a large population of people who are lonely and cannot find companionship, but I hardly think that makes for good cinematography. Do you really want to go to the movies to see two old people desperately trying to find true love!

On the other side of the coin he could have sought out the huge number of people living here who are still happily married, can afford to live their dreams and do not go around behaving as though they were still in high school.

I would like to see a "real" film maker come to TV to make a movie about what the Morse family have managed to achieve over the past 30+ years, because that would be a movie worth seeing. Show the start of TV when there was nothing here and then show how it has evolved into this incredible community. Whether you like the Morse’s’ or not, they have done something that no one else has done, there is no retirement community in the world like this and there probably never will be. Show the world the number of young people relocating here and leaving the rat race to live the good life with us oldies. Show the huge variety of stores we have, the restaurants of every type, the fact that we have our own hospital, the number of urgent care clinics and on and on. Show the world how we are able to live in our aging years. Just think of how our parents aged compared to us, and show the world that instead of making us a laughing stock!

and now I will climb down from my soap box! Thanks for reading

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-30-2020, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Just a point of interest. At 1.19, one minute 19 seconds of the sample movie the guy who is picture laying down is not a resident of The Villages most likely. He moved his green van from pool to pool to pool as he did the same thing with himself from pool to pool to pool for about 2 months last summer. I am not the only one to notice that his entire wardrobe was on a bar from side to side of the rear windows of his van to provide privacy for peaceful overnight sleeping. His normal rest area was at various pools on a lounge chair in between two tables in a shaded area. Let's see what verbal things he adds to this movie. He was a nice guy but would never tell anyone where he rented or owned. I never asked.

The only reason I cared is it's good to be aware of your surroundings but as he presented no threat I made no phone call about him. After all my watch is over.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:37 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

I heard through the "grapevine" that it will be showing at The Sharon and there will be limited VIP seating.

Steve
Old 01-30-2020, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
I don't know what you mean, Don Ameche and Hugh Cronyn are in better shape than who? Villagers, you should go to MVP Gym at Brownwood and see some Villagers, or better yet, go to the Rec League Softball games, a lot Villagers are still in great shape in the 60's and 70's.
Uhhh, I posted a photo from the "Villages" film preview in my post you are replying to. THAT'S who they (from Cocoon) are in better shape than. THAT GUY. "Where was this photo taken" was referring to the photo I POSTED.

My point all along since the beginning of this thread was exactly what you stated that I partially quoted above this and what makes me cringe just seeing the short preview. The film seems to be pushing the incorrect stereotypes of those who live here. Of course until I see the whole thing it's just my quick guess based upon the quick preview clip.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:17 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Just a point of interest. At 1.19, one minute 19 seconds of the sample movie the guy who is picture laying down is not a resident of The Villages most likely. He moved his green van from pool to pool to pool as he did the same thing with himself from pool to pool to pool for about 2 months last summer. I am not the only one to notice that his entire wardrobe was on a bar from side to side of the rear windows of his van to provide privacy for peaceful overnight sleeping. His normal rest area was at various pools on a lounge chair in between two tables in a shaded area. Let's see what verbal things he adds to this movie. He was a nice guy but would never tell anyone where he rented or owned. I never asked.

The only reason I cared is it's good to be aware of your surroundings but as he presented no threat I made no phone call about him. After all my watch is over.
Sounds like he has mastered "stealth camping" in The Villages. I wonder how many others there are living off of our amenities fees and property taxes by lounging and showering at the pools and so on. This is why IDs need to be checked. Stealth Camping Tips For Van Life In The City | Building A Camper Van Conversion

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 01-30-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Sounds like he has mastered "stealth camping" in The Villages. I wonder how many others there are living off of our amenities fees and property taxes by lounging and showering at the pools and so on. This is why IDs need to be checked. Stealth Camping Tips For Van Life In The City | Building A Camper Van Conversion
Trust me, this game he was playing proved him to be smooth as silk. He had a sensor even when he was napping to elude the people who check the badges. He just slipped into the pool and now he was safe.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
...His normal rest area was at various pools on a lounge chair in between two tables in a shaded area. Let's see what verbal things he adds to this movie. He was a nice guy but would never tell anyone where he rented or owned. I never asked.

Almost everytime I go to our neighborhood pool an attendant will ask for an ID card except unless you're in the pool.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Almost everytime I go to our neighborhood pool an attendant will ask for an ID card except unless you're in the pool.
As they should. Chula Vista needs a full timer to watch things later in the day as people from surrounding apartment complex’s feel free to use our facilities.

Can’t wait to see this entire flick. It should be a pip.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:47 PM
Sage

I met Lance and his cameraman when he was filming here and tried to steer him to some interesting events etc...Happy to see that my friend Barbara, who is a fine actress, has a role. Hope it comes here!!
Old 01-30-2020, 04:46 PM

I agree!
Old 01-30-2020, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

So this is the director/producer who is supposed to be the nephew of that other guy who is political?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
So this is the director/producer who is supposed to be the nephew of that other guy who is political?
Nope just someone who was spending time at 4 different adult pools and definitely sleeping in his van. His relationship with Martin Scorsese Jr is unknown to yours truly.

He reminded me of the guy who is the subject of this song. Roger Miller - King Of The Road - YouTube
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.