One Year to Live!

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Default One Year to Live!

I have only seen the previews of The Bucket List, but the idea is intriguing.

Since each day is a gift, and the gift is time sensitive, what would you do if you knew this were your last year?

As Tim McGraw sang -- "Live as if you were dying..."
Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 AM
Default Re: One Year to Live!

Yes, we finally saw Bucket list last evening, after 3 "sold out" attempts. We bought our tickets at 3 pm for the 7 pm show. Then 1 of us 4 went in at 6:15 to hold the seats, and it worked perfectly. Great and funny show that puts a different spin on death and dying - very refreshing indeed! It's a "go for it" movie. You'll like it. So The Villages attitude.

Another giant "yes" happened. We bought a house in Liberty Park today. I'm still numb at the swiftness of it all - house went on the market 8 am, we viewed and made an offer at 10 am, we negotiated and agreed at 6 pm. WOW! That's a full day in The Villages, and all while we had guests and were out having so much fun! We even saw the shuttle speed through the sky at 2:30 outside of Laurel Rec.Center.

Well, we are thrilled, excited, and alittle in shock at such quick decision making, we're so blessed conservative. Of course, our TV agent, Carol Kramer made it easy for us, and our financial planner and our visiting friends added valuable support. We are both lucky and fortunate. We'll sleep very well tonight! We're so happy tonight.

Peg Winsor
Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg

Another giant "yes" happened. We bought a house in Liberty Park today. I'm still numb at the swiftness of it all - house went on the market 8 am, we viewed and made an offer at 10 am, we negotiated and agreed at 6 pm. WOW! That's a full day in The Villages, and all while we had guests and were out having so much fun! We even saw the shuttle speed through the sky at 2:30 outside of Laurel Rec.Center.

Well, we are thrilled, excited, and alittle in shock at such quick decision making, we're so blessed conservative. Of course, our TV agent, Carol Kramer made it easy for us, and our financial planner and our visiting friends added valuable support. We are both lucky and fortunate. We'll sleep very well tonight! We're so happy tonight.

Peg Winsor
Congrats Peg, and welcome to Liberty Park. I think you'll love this Village. Your experience is reminiscent of typical house shopping of a few years ago when the market was crazy. Well done.

And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-08-2008, 10:10 AM

Welcome to TV. Yes, your experience is that of many of us in any number of the different villages. We seem to get caught up in the moment here but, at least for us, and have never had regrets in any of our spontaneous decisions. If it feels right do it! As for the movie I did see it and was disappointed in quality of it. I really expected more to it. It had a great theme but really didn't go any place. They only did a couple of things. If those guys lived here in TV they would have done hundreds of things with lots of different people and had a ball. The writers could have really written a much better plot.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Peg, your post brought back memories of the day we bought in Liberty Park, too. It was a Friday and we did about the same as you only we closed a little earlier. We had to. Since we were flying home the next morning and were planning on using our home as a rental, we also needed to completely furnish it before we left. I've never shopped as fast as I did in those 2 hours before the furniture store closed! The exhilarating experience was intoxicating and we've never regretted our decision! to TV and Liberty Park!
Old 02-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

Peg...

Congratulations on your "swift action."* Our swift action occurred three days ago...our new place is in Amelia.

I thought Bucket List was a great and inspirational movie.* It could have played a subliminal part in our deciding to buy in The Villages the way we did at this point in time. :beer2:
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

If I were told that I had one year to live I would immediately sell my house in TV and buy in Del Webb because 1 year there compaired to TV would seem like 10.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 AM
Gold member

MMC24, I laughed out loud at that comment!
So glad we will be Villagers, not caught in the Webb! Haha!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC24 View Post
If I were told that I had one year to live I would immediately sell my house in TV and buy in Del Webb because 1 year there compaired to TV would seem like 10.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-29-2013, 05:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizmz View Post
I have only seen the previews of The Bucket List, but the idea is intriguing.

Since each day is a gift, and the gift is time sensitive, what would you do if you knew this were your last year?

As Tim McGraw sang -- "Live as if you were dying..."
Actually, we saw that movie a very long time ago......??? Old post.

But the message is a good one. For sure.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This thread was revived from five years ago and sadly as I read it saw that one of the very loved posters only did have a short time to live. Muncle left us not long after the post on this thread and will always be missed.

Please enjoy this day completely. Try to say one kind thing to one person and look directly at everyone so you will catch their smiles.

Try to see and smell the flowers and hug a couple of friendly souls.

When it is hot this afternoon, get a dip of ice cream and cool off and sit in the shade this evening with someone who cares about you.

Snuggle in when it rains this afternoon with a good book or a calming TV show or a game of cards with friends.

I am glad we are all here together and have this lovely time to share.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:21 AM
Sage
Default Life can change in the blink of an eye.

I have sung in the choir of my church in suburban Chicago since 1996 when I joined St. Nick's. One of the tenors in my church choir who was only 52 (same age as me) suffered a massive stroke 11 days ago and passed away this past Saturday. He had just attended his son's wedding 3 weeks ago. Our choir recorded its first CD just 6 weeks ago on Father's Day. Little did we know it would be the last time Tim would sing with us. There will be an empty chair in the tenor section when choir resumes in September .

So folks on TOTV don't take life for granted as it can change in blink of an eye. Tim, please watch down on your choir friends at St. Nick's. I know you are singing with the angels in Heaven, my friend.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.