Oscar Nominations early Tuesday 1/23/2018.

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Thumbs up Oscar Nominations early Tuesday 1/23/2018.

2018 Oscars | Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Oscar nominations coming soon. Have any favorite 2017 movies you would like to see so honored? I hope Wonder Woman gets some special effects related noms.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:51 PM
Sage
Default The Shape of Water gets 13 Oscar Nominations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
2018 Oscars | Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Oscar nominations coming soon. Have any favorite 2017 movies you would like to see so honored? I hope Wonder Woman gets some special effects related noms.

Have not see The Shape of Water but have seen other movies the Academy members nominated today.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 01-23-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The Shape of Water, Three Billboards and Dunkirk I have seen. Get Out I recorded off HBO and I'm going to watch tonight. Of those three I like The Shape of Water the best, gave it a 10, Three Billboards I gave an 8 and Dunkirk an 8. I believe Dunkirk lacked giving viewers a connection since there was no character development. It wasn't much different than watching news coverage of a war zone shot from the soldier's viewpoint. I still liked it, but it's no Saving Private Ryan.

I would of voted Three Billboards higher if it has used less profanity and had a better ending. It remind me of a Coen Bros movie, especially since Francis McDormand was the lead actress. It really isn't much Different than the Coen Bros Raising Arizona, which McDormand was in, and that film had very little profanity. It only goes to show it can be done.

The Shape of Water isn't a film you can pigeon-hole, it's a sci-fi, fantasy, intense thriller, love story, spy story, all set in the 60's and has excellent use of color, music and style to take you there. The lead actress Sally Hawkins doesn't say a word in the entire film, she's a mute, and yet she was fantastic. If a person likes a film like Forest Gump, they would like this film. The stories are nothing alike, but if you can go to the theater for a couple of hours and suspend misbelief you'll really enjoy it, or if you feel like seeing a good horror movie from the 50's.

The Shape of Water

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 01-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

As I posted above, I was going to see 'Get Out' last night and I did. If Rod Serling had appeared at he opening and said "You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind?" I wouldn't of been surprised.

The film starts out like it's nothing like it turns out to be. There's a mixed race couple and are planning to visit her parents. She hasn't told them her boyfriend is black, but assures him that her parents are very liberal and voted for Obama twice. As the movie moves along there are little hints that things are not quite what they seem. There's a very good build up leaving you guessing on how it's going to turn out, but you soon realize it's not going to be good for the black boyfriend.

I judged it equal to Three Billboards in Ebbing Missouri, which I started with a 9 but downgraded 1 star to an 8 for the over use of profanity. Get Out I would rate an 8 but bump it up 1 star since the story is original and I've not seen anything like it, so I give it a 9. The Shape of Water I had given a 10, so that film is my top choice all of the 4 films I've seen, with Dunkirk as the fourth film and I gave it an 8.

The director of Get Out was a black fellow, Jordan Peele making his film directing debut. You might have seen him as one half of the comedy duo Key and Peele from the Comedy Channel and they were also the bumbling FBI agents in Season 1 of Fargo with Billy Bob Thornton the bad guy. I understand the film was made for $5 million and took in over $250 million, so he is set for right now.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-24-2018, 07:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
As I posted above, I was going to see 'Get Out' last night and I did. If Rod Serling had appeared at he opening and said "You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind?" I wouldn't of been surprised.

The film starts out like it's nothing like it turns out to be. There's a mixed race couple and are planning to visit her parents. She hasn't told them her boyfriend is black, but assures him that her parents are very liberal and voted for Obama twice. As the movie moves along there are little hints that things are not quite what they seem. There's a very good build up leaving you guessing on how it's going to turn out, but you soon realize it's not going to be good for the black boyfriend.

I judged it equal to Three Billboards in Ebbing Missouri, which I started with a 9 but downgraded 1 star to an 8 for the over use of profanity. Get Out I would rate an 8 but bump it up 1 star since the story is original and I've not seen anything like it, so I give it a 9. The Shape of Water I had given a 10, so that film is my top choice all of the 4 films I've seen, with Dunkirk as the fourth film and I gave it an 8.

The director of Get Out was a black fellow, Jordan Peele making his film directing debut. You might have seen him as one half of the comedy duo Key and Peele from the Comedy Channel and they were also the bumbling FBI agents in Season 1 of Fargo with Billy Bob Thornton the bad guy. I understand the film was made for $5 million and took in over $250 million, so he is set for right now.

The Villages Florida
Get Out was a terrifying movie to see but extremely well done and original.
Closed Thread

Tags
nominations, oscar, hope, woman, honored

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.