Richard Jewell.

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Thumbs up Richard Jewell.

Quite a thought provoking movie. Richard Jewell (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 12-17-2019, 07:38 AM

""Richard Jewell" is a story of what happens when what is reported as fact obscures the truth."

Reminiscent of the Trayvon Martin incident; i.e., fake reporting.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If the weather isn't too bad, I'm going to the $5 show at LSL landing today. This is Clint's worse movie opening. The Mule only did $17 million but finished with over $100 million. Richard Jewell opening weekend was only $5 million and is now classified a flop. I post on a football board and in the media section they were discussing the film and so many of the younger people have no memory of this event.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

I have a funny feeling this thread will not end well.
Steve
Old 12-17-2019, 02:08 PM

I'd like to see it. Also, I recommend Dark Waters. Great movie.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
""Richard Jewell" is a story of what happens when what is reported as fact obscures the truth."

Reminiscent of the Trayvon Martin incident; i.e., fake reporting.
just watch any news any time

Drama fractured facts day in day out
Old 12-17-2019, 06:53 PM
Sage

Just got back from Richard Jewell, first movie since American Sniper where the audience applauded at the end. Great Movie. The actor playing Richard Jewell was obviously hired for his looks and not his talent, he did alright but was a little stiff. Reminded me of 15:17 to Paris where Clint used the real guys. Sam Rockwell, Jon Hamm and Kathy Bates more than made up for his shortcomings. Olivia Wilde played the reporter who broke the story and came across as a real slut. The movie gave the impression she slept with the FBI agent to get he story.

The media doesn't look good and neither does the FBI. Even after Jewell passes a lie detector test, they know he couldn't make the phone call because it took 6 minutes to get the phone booth, and they searched his home and took everything and still couldn't find a thing. Yet, Jon Hamm's character after handing Jewell's Lawyer Sam Rockwell the paperwork that the FBI no longer considers him a suspect, still has the audacity to say I think your client is guilty.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

I was also at today's 3 pm showing. Really good movie. My only issue is with the portrayal of Kathy Scruggs as trading sex for stories. I know this was a "fictionalized" version of the events but if they wanted to make up stuff like that I think they should have changed the reporter's name rather than smear a real (albeit deceased) woman.

We (sissy and I) noticed that in one of the early scenes they show a guy with carry-out food from Chick-fil-A.

kathy
Old 12-17-2019, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I'd like to see it. Also, I recommend Dark Waters. Great movie.
We saw Dark Waters last week; awesome movie. Going to see Richard Jewell tomorrow.

The Federal Law Enforcement Agency that my wife was a Special Agent for worked that case; said the media ruined that guy's life.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Richard Jewell sued successfully a number of the real institutions involved in portraying him as the Atlanta bomber.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Richard Jewell sued successfully a number of the real institutions involved in portraying him as the Atlanta bomber.
Every media outlet that Jewell sued settled with him except for the Atlanta Constitution. Jewell died in 2007 at age 44 and by the time that case went to trial he had already died. The courts ruled that the Atlanta Constitution wasn't liable because when they printed the story, the facts of the case were believed to be true. I don't know how that could be when the facts of the case are incorrect. How ironic that the reporter Kathy Scruggs who broke the story, as wrong as it may be, worked for that newspaper and they didn't have to pay.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

This is the (lengthy) Vanity Fair article on which the movie was based:

AMERICAN NIGHTMARE: The Ballad of RICHARD JEWELL | Vanity Fair | February 1997

And this is an article about Olivia Wilde's recent comments re: Kathy Scruggs:

"Richard Jewell" controversy: Olivia Wilde says she doesn't think "Richard Jewell" reporter traded sex for tips - CBS News

I was stunned at how closely the script followed the VF article. Lots of dialogue lifted verbatim. I thought some of the stuff in the movie had to be made up because I (naively) couldn't believe the FBI would actually do [whatever] but apparently they did!

The VF article also refers to Scruggs' reputation as a "police groupie".

Olivia Wilde says it was her belief that Scruggs had a pre-existing romantic relationship with the FBI guy and the CBS article (near the end) mentions her having relationships with various LE guys. As I watched the movie, in particular the scene where she tries to get info out of the FBI agent, it is clear that they already know each other but NOT (to me, at least) that they had any sort of previous "relationship". Just my two cents.

Settlements were confidential but it is believed that Jewell got ~ $500k from each of two news outlets as well as a big settlement from the college where he used to work. Too bad he didn't live long enough to enjoy it. He did buy his mom a house before he passed.

k.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
We saw Dark Waters last week; awesome movie. Going to see Richard Jewell tomorrow.

The Federal Law Enforcement Agency (not the FBI) that my wife was a Special Agent for (they worked the case in the background); said the media ruined that guy's life.
We went to see RJ today; I'd like to add to the statement of who ruined his life - it was not only the media but also the FBI.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:23 AM

Read ‘Richard Jewell’: The Problem With Profiling - LewRockwell
Old 12-21-2019, 05:59 PM
Veteran member
Default Excellent movie

Loved this movie. Thought provoking, yes. I felt every emotion from anger, fear, sorrow, frustration etc.... what a story!!
Closed Thread

Tags
richard, jewell, thought, provoking, movie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.