Roma (2018)

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2019, 03:04 PM

I thought it was a beautiful homage to the servant women who raise middle class children while their parents work. I can understand why those who are used to Hollywood's Three Act screenplay structure wouldn't enjoy this, and those who don't know the political issues in the 1970's wouldn't follow what was going on. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and hope it gets an Oscar for its depth and beauty.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I thought it was a beautiful homage to the servant women who raise middle class children while their parents work. I can understand why those who are used to Hollywood's Three Act screenplay structure wouldn't enjoy this, and those who don't know the political issues in the 1970's wouldn't follow what was going on. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and hope it gets an Oscar for its depth and beauty.
I did not think it was enjoyable to watch the guy who got her pregnant threaten "beat the s*** out of you and your little one" after she came to him asking what to do. I did not think it was enjoyable to see the wife's grief over her husband abandoning her to be with his mistress and not sending her $ to live on. Or to watch her hit her son in the face when he overheard her conversation about the father.

Even the dog was to be pitied.

It may be a vivid picture of the times (which I understand and remember quite well) presented very well, but the movie was not "enjoyable," and I don't suggest going to see it if you are looking for something in a less serious vein.

Also, it's in Spanish with English subtitles, which may bother some as you must read and watch at the same time. But the subtitling is very well done, and more easily read than some of the closed captioning on tv shows, which tends to go by too quickly.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
In the same vein as The Florida Project, Roma really is more of a social commentary rather than a story. There is an explanation of the focus here. Alfonso Cuaron reveals the hidden layers of 'Roma' - Los Angeles Times

Whether you view it as a commentary or a story, it's depressing. I can appreciate the great acting and directing, but I'm only halfway through it, and whenever I think about going back and finishing it, I always find something else to do.
My wife got half way through it and went to bed.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:10 PM

I watched it on Neftlix. It was slow moving with a couple of good scenes. Very mundane otherwise. I was also struggling at some points to keep watching it. It got rave reviews and I am still wondering why. It just shows the day to day life of the housekeeper but I can see how certain people would be interested in seeing other cultures and how they live their everyday lives. That is what some people may be curious about. It was a pretty depressing movie but yet I am glad I saw it. It gives you something to think about and be glad you live in America. My daughter tried to watch it but couldn't finish it. Too boring.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigirl View Post
I watched it on Neftlix. It was slow moving with a couple of good scenes. Very mundane otherwise. I was also struggling at some points to keep watching it. It got rave reviews and I am still wondering why. It just shows the day to day life of the housekeeper but I can see how certain people would be interested in seeing other cultures and how they live their everyday lives. That is what some people may be curious about. It was a pretty depressing movie but yet I am glad I saw it. It gives you something to think about and be glad you live in America. My daughter tried to watch it but couldn't finish it. Too boring.
I will probably try to watch it at some point.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:52 AM
Veteran member
Default Roma

Well, it did convey a strong message about cleaning up after your dog.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Well, it did convey a strong message about cleaning up after your dog.
This makes Roma sound like a good movie.

One of the Most Devastating Parts of ‘ROMA’ Is the Dog Poop | Decider
Closed Thread

Tags
kind, boring, roma

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.