Anyone seen any movies yet this year that are Best Picture material?

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Taltarzac
Default Anyone seen any movies yet this year that are Best Picture material?

It is the middle of December 2007. Anyone seen any movies that they would expect to see win Best Picture at the Academy Awards in 2008? Maybe, they have not come out yet as the cream of the crop often does not come out to wide audiences until Christmas or later?

How about for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Song, etc?

American Gangster was a bit too cynical for me.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Anyone seen any movies yet this year that are Best Picture material?

Saw No Country for Old Men this afternoon at the Rialto. This seems like a movie that could win Best Picture at the Academy Awards on February 24, 2007 going by the record of movies that have won that award. It has a very artistic message that has very deep philosophical meanderings about fate and life and death.

I read the Cormac McCarthy book so I knew what to expect. From some of the grumblings from some of the members of the audience some people did not seem to have read the book.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Anyone seen any movies yet this year that are Best Picture material?

Saw Charlie Wilson's War today at the Old Mill Playhouse at 1:30 pm-- December 22, 2007.
Interesting movie-- kind of a mix of Catch 22, MASH, and Dallas with a little CIA spy movie thrown in.

Could win at the Academy Awards on February 24, 2008 if nominated?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Eternal Member

Live Free or Die Hard.

I do not like sappy "we have a moral or lesson to tell you" movies which usually win.

I do not go to movie theaters. I only rent DVDs and prefer action to anything else. I do get many of the current year.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
Live Free or Die Hard.

I do not like sappy "we have a moral or lesson to tell you" movies which usually win.

I do not go to movie theaters. I only rent DVDs and prefer action to anything else. I do get many of the current year.
I would not call Charlie Wilson's War sappy and certainly not No Country for Old Men. There are sappy movies playing in theaters now-- Lions for Lambs comes to mind as do many others.

Seen any DVDs you would want to have their theatrical films nominated for an Academy Award? I am not sure of this but think 2008 Academy Awards are only given to films which are released somewhere theatrically in 2007.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac
I would not call Charlie Wilson's War sappy and certainly not No Country for Old Men. There are sappy movies playing in theaters now-- Lions for Lambs comes to mind as do many others.

Seen any DVDs you would want to have their theatrical films nominated for an Academy Award? I am not sure of this but think 2008 Academy Awards are only given to films which are released somewhere theatrically in 2007.
Saw that two Associated Press critics (David Germain and Christy Lemire) gave the Best Movie in 2007 label to the movie "No Country for Old Men" according to the Lifestyles front page today for the Villages Daily Sun. Really enjoyed the movie Once too which they also listed in both of their top tens.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by English
Charlie's War was entertaining. I saw the biography that included the real Charlie on television. That was more interesting to me. If you see that first, the movie will be more meaningful.

Two of the movie's main charcters were poorly cast in my opinion having see the real main players. Phillipe Seymour Hoffman was great and casted well. Hanks was not believeable, nor Julie Roberts.

The movie is worth seeing.
Many Villagers seemed to agree with you on Charlie Wilson's War. Very few empty seats when I saw this movie in the biggest auditorium at the Old Mill Playhouse last weekend. I did not hear any clapping or very little which I sometimes do with some movies here in the Villages as well as elsewhere.

Some movies in the Villages I have been the only person in the entire theater like with the biggest screen at the Old Mill Playhouse for the movie The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Not a good movie to be the only person in a theater that size. Start seeing things out of the corners of your eyes from such a movie.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.