Some kind of heaven

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2021, 09:11 AM
Smile Some kind of heaven

Please post your comments if you have seen this movie.

Introducing ‘Some Kind of Heaven,’ a Film From The Times and Magnolia Pictures

Behind the gates of a palm-tree-lined fantasyland, three residents and one interloper at America’s largest retirement community strive to find happiness.

Last edited by VILLAGERBB; 01-10-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:46 AM
Gold member

Will be on Amazon Prime later this month.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:18 AM

I saw it yesterday in Mt. Dora. It's an awful movie, not indicative of The Villages I know. Spend your time and money doing something better off than watching this film.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Sage

I saw "Some Kind of Heaven" a couple of days ago on Amazon Prime. It is not a film about The Villages so much as it is a character study of 3 people who happen to live in The Villages, one person who lives on the fringes of The Villages and how they are dealing with marital problems, starting over after the death of a spouse and how one person attempts to take advantage of those with financial resources. Some of the people in the film are definitely more sympathetic and likable than the other people in the film. I enjoyed the film, and I don't think it was a hatchet job against The Villages. This film could have been shot at On Top of the World, Sun City, Arizona or suburban Chicago. There were some nice scenes filmed at various club meetings and at the squares.

If you are on You Tube, The Villages Florida Newcomers (Jerry and Linda) interviewed the director of "Some Kind of Heaven", Lance Oppenheim. He is probably the age of a lot of Villagers children or grandchildren. The interview is worth watching.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:49 PM

EXACTLY! This college project documentary is not ABOUT The Villages, but set IN The Villages...and shows how dynamics play a HUGE part in how we spend, treasure and appreciate the different phases of life we go thru if we are lucky enough to make it to retirement age.....I found it fascinating real....TOO many people are living a "have them think well of you" lie of a life vs being real, who you are, and open to others seeing things differently than we do personally. If you are our age (retirement age) and have not found yourself, you continue to exist vs live and enjoy truly. The goal of the "Game of Life" should be to die content....having found "YOUR" true meaning in life.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

I saw the movie and put up a review on Amazon. I felt it was an awesome opportunity to see into the lives of people who live real lives, who aren't constantly pushing the "everything is perfect, nothing is flawed" mentality that is SUCH a turn-off to people like me. I don't want perfection. I want a nice place to live, where I can enjoy (or not) my imperfect life, and enjoy (or not) my fellow imperfect humans. I don't want Stepford, or some kind of fantasyland. I want a sincere genuine community and this movie showed that it absolutely exists in the Villages.

It is a beautiful place, with so much to do and see and experience. But none of that means anything, if everyone you meet has the same smile plastered on their faces all the time. The constant happy joy is creepy, and doesn't reflect reality. It makes me feel sad for people who feel they must always be 100% pro-villages and always 100% against criticism of it.

So I'm glad for the movie, and I felt it was well made, with beautiful visuals, and touching stories of real people trying to get through personal problems in an amazing retirement community.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:45 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

It's a D grade Mockumentary.. highlighting some very depressing people. The setting is largely Spanish Springs, and certainly implies this is what the villages is all about. It isn;t something that would be the highlight of a Lifestyle Visit. It was a total waste of my time.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:03 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
It's a D grade Mockumentary.. highlighting some very depressing people. The setting is largely Spanish Springs, and certainly implies this is what the villages is all about. It isn;t something that would be the highlight of a Lifestyle Visit. It was a total waste of my time.
or a fakementary based on three relatively unique depressing individuals rather than the typical Villager or other retiree living the dream in a 55+ community. Check out who is behind it...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-07-2021, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
or a fakementary based on three relatively unique depressing individuals rather than the typical Villager or other retiree living the dream in a 55+ community. Check out who is behind it...
Well that's very obvious that you didn't see it, and therefore have nothing constructive to contribute to the topic, which was the OP asking for people who've actually seen it, to comment. As Schaumberger said:

Quote:
If you are on You Tube, The Villages Florida Newcomers (Jerry and Linda) interviewed the director of "Some Kind of Heaven", Lance Oppenheim. He is probably the age of a lot of Villagers children or grandchildren. The interview is worth watching.
You might learn a little something about "who is behind it."
Old 02-07-2021, 08:25 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

///

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-07-2021, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

trashy movie trying to make a fast buck
Old 02-08-2021, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

I thought the movie was sad and a little boring.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:48 PM
Default Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
trashy movie trying to make a fast buck
We couldn't agree with you more. Someone is just trying to make a buck and it worked as they took our $$. Saying it is trash is being kind.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Hollywood. Not much to them nowadays. Like all media. Just pushing their agenda.
Closed Thread

Tags
kind, heaven, post, comments, movie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.