Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Question Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) - Rotten Tomatoes

I would like to have some reviews before I decide whether to see this or not in the theaters.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:11 PM

Total waste of money, especially in 3D. Main characters look like 12 year olds and and we're supposed to be special forces super soldiers. They had no chemistry with each other and the dialogue was embarrassing. Yes, there were a lot of whiz bang special effects but it was hard to understand why the producers cast the lead characters.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) - Rotten Tomatoes

I would like to have some reviews before I decide whether to see this or not in the theaters.
Kind of liked it but the main characters do seem to be cast in order to attract younger audiences. Cara Delevingne - Rotten Tomatoes

Dane DeHaan - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 08-04-2017, 05:27 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Critics explained that this was a very expensive movie to make and that the producers needed a real big draw to make a profit.

the problem as I see it is that far too many movies made today have lost the art of good movie making such as developing good and interesting characters. I lean toward independent movies and foreign movies. I am sick of car chases, sex, drugs, etc scenes that's simply not good movie making and its not creative

We have added NETFLIX and so far we are disappointed in the quality. There are a few good ones but like pay TV it takes some searching
Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

The visuals are absolutely fantastic, the aliens are incredibly creative, the sound mixing (especially in Dolby Atmos) is top notch and I want to see it again just to unpack the dense imagery. That said, I have to agree that the leads were uninteresting and completely lacking in chemistry and the story was pretty stupid. I happened to be visiting family in Michigan when this came out or I would have gone down to the Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos theater in Altamonte Springs to see this. By the time I got back, it had already been dropped in favor of "Atomic Blonde", which doesn't interest me. Oh well, I'll get down there to see "Blade Runner: 2049" when it releases.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:42 AM
Default Teen books

Harry Potter, Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, and Divergence and other recent movies were all based on books for teens, which explains the casting. I'm sure Valerian is too. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like it didn't quite hit the level most of the others did.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Harry Potter, Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, and Divergence and other recent movies were all based on books for teens, which explains the casting. I'm sure Valerian is too. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like it didn't quite hit the level most of the others did.
Just a few people in the theater when I saw it at the Barnstorm Theater a few days ago. It was in 3-D. Worth seeing on a 3-D screen IMHO.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:23 AM
Platinum member

I blame CGI for the lack of plots in movies these days. I miss the days when the stunts that were done had to be actually doable in real life. Seems like some directors get carried away with the special effects and expect them to carry the movie.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

We saw it the day it came out. I'm not a huge sci-fi-fi/comic book character fan however both husband and I enjoyed it. Thought the story line was good and special effects fantastic, we enjoyed it.
Closed Thread

Tags
decide, reviews, theaters, planets, thousand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.