WWII film recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2020, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
My Dad was Navy also, except in the Pacific Theatre. Armed Guard for convoys to Guadalcanal, Vladivostock. Australia and New Zealand. Took him years to talk about it, but I found out he was a war hero and received the Presidential Commendation For Bravery.

On November 11, 1943, the SS Cape San Juan, an Army troop ship carrying over 1400 troops , was torpedoed by a Japanese sub in the South Pacific. The survivors in the water had to contend with a massive shark attack where sharks were literally pulling men off the life rafts. My Dad was on the SS Meredith at the time as Gunners Mate/1c. The Meredith was the first ship on the scene. Without hesitation, he dove into the shark infested water and began pulling injured men up to the Meredith. Many of the troops were from the 5th Air Force, First Fighter Control Squadron.

In 1995, the survivors managed to track down my Mom and Dad to invite him to their Reunion. Sadly, he had passed a few months before. All this was 18 months before the USS Indianapolis.
I wish I knew more about my dad's experiences. Like many, he didn't talk about it much. One of the "younger" guys on the ship wrote my mom a wonderful letter about working with my dad during some very rough seas while under fire. Lots of brave men back then. Your dad was definitely in that group.

k.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,016 Times in 5,320 Posts

My dad served in the Army Air Force during WWII.

He would never talk about his service other than tell us he was in the Aleutians and Iwa Jima.

.Wish I would have gotten him to talk more about what he did/
Old 06-10-2020, 08:51 PM
Default WWII Documentaries

I've been watching some incredible documentaries on the war on Netflicks.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
My dad served in the Army Air Force during WWII.

He would never talk about his service other than tell us he was in the Aleutians and Iwa Jima.

.Wish I would have gotten him to talk more about what he did/
I agree, Stuart. Your and my Dad's generation carried the scars of what they had seen throughout their lives. I was in my 20's before he started to open up about it, when I was reclassed to 1A and on my way to the Naval recruiting office. Didn't want me to go.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:52 PM

In my opinion, the Pacific is the best WW2 movie, then band of brothers. Runner up is We were soldiers. Most realistic, hardly no flaws. Great special effects. Great stories. All based on true events. Just my opinion.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
My Dad was Navy also, except in the Pacific Theatre. Armed Guard for convoys to Guadalcanal, Vladivostock. Australia and New Zealand. Took him years to talk about it, but I found out he was a war hero and received the Presidential Commendation For Bravery.

On November 11, 1943, the SS Cape San Juan, an Army troop ship carrying over 1400 troops , was torpedoed by a Japanese sub in the South Pacific. The survivors in the water had to contend with a massive shark attack where sharks were literally pulling men off the life rafts. My Dad was on the SS Meredith at the time as Gunners Mate/1c. The Meredith was the first ship on the scene. Without hesitation, he dove into the shark infested water and began pulling injured men up to the Meredith. Many of the troops were from the 5th Air Force, First Fighter Control Squadron.

In 1995, the survivors managed to track down my Mom and Dad to invite him to their Reunion. Sadly, he had passed a few months before. All this was 18 months before the USS Indianapolis.
Had dinner with my brother yesterday and learned that our dad, in fact, spent a couple of years sailing in the Atlantic followed by a couple years in the Pacific. Shows you what I know!

k.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:26 PM
Veteran member

The new Tom Hanks movie ("Greyhound") will start playing on AppleTV+ on Friday, July 10th. Just FYI.

k.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Had dinner with my brother yesterday and learned that our dad, in fact, spent a couple of years sailing in the Atlantic followed by a couple years in the Pacific. Shows you what I know!

k.
Like me, you probably wished you had gotten more stories before he passed. I'm grateful for the time I had with him as a young adult to learn more of his experiences.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

War horse, Fury, Enemy at the gate, hacksaw ridge, where eagles dare, Kelly’s hero’s, big red one, hamburger hill, the dirty dozen. Blue Max. Just name few.
Closed Thread

Tags
recommendations, wwii, film, lot, classics

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.