"YESTERDAY" movie

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2019, 02:17 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default "YESTERDAY" movie

saw in LSL, 12:20 showing - sold out theater. If you like music, if you like The Beatles - this is a must - see. THOROUGHLY enjoyed. Do not want to give anything away - but a really nice storyline and acting was quite good. The Beatles (fantastic) music interspersed in the film was wonderful (NONE performed by them...). Had a few interesting twists and turns. Held our attention throughout. Highly recommend. Only wish I saw the closed caption show, as some of the UK/Britiish dialogue was a bit hard to catch (for me). 9/10 stars.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

We also enjoyed Yesterday. If you like Beatles music I definitely recommend.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Saw it at 3pm today, not an empty seat in the place. Should have it in two theaters at at LSL or at Brownwood as well. Big lines before the 5:20 show as well when we came out. Seems the theater was caught off guard by the demand. I gave it an 8 out 10, really enjoyed the film. Could of been better, but most films have some flaws.

The Villages Florida
Old 07-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Platinum member

I haven't seen it yet but I watched an interview of Himesh Patel, the lead actor. He is an excellent singer and, as with Bohemian Rhapsody, all the mustic was performed live. Although the Beatles had no direct involvement with the movie, they’ve been supportive.

“I got the sweetest note from Paul (McCartney),” Richard Curtis (the writer of the screenplay) said, “and I also had a very sweet letter from (George Harrison’s widow) Olivia and one from Ringo.”

The Beatles organization approved the use of 15 songs in the film (which is unusual) and licensed the title song for use during the end credits.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Saw it at 3pm today, not an empty seat in the place. Should have it in two theaters at at LSL or at Brownwood as well. Big lines before the 5:20 show as well when we came out. Seems the theater was caught off guard by the demand. I gave it an 8 out 10, really enjoyed the film. Could of been better, but most films have some flaws.

The Villages Florida
I will have to wait a few weeks to see this one.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Saw it last week and loved it.

A bit of trivia for those interested. When they are playing Eleanor Rigby and they show the scene of the minister in the church writing a sermon and darning his socks. The guy playing the minister is actually the Vicar at St Peter's Church in Liverpool, John Lennon's family's church.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Sage

I also loved "Yesterday"...highly recommend it. I give it 3.8 stars out of 4. Whether you came of age in the early 1960's or are a millennial, this movie works for many ages.

If you are a fan of Downton Abbey, Lily James ("Lady Rose") has the female lead.

I agree with DeanFL in the original post . . . I also had a few times where it was difficult for me to understand the British accents.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 07-14-2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I also loved "Yesterday"...highly recommend it. I give it 3.8 stars out of 4. Whether you came of age in the early 1960's or are a millennial, this movie works for many ages.

If you are a fan of Downton Abbey, Lily James ("Lady Rose") has the female lead.

I agree with DeanFL in the original post . . . I also had a few times where it was difficult for me to understand the British accents.
They show movies with closed captions here in the Villages every Monday for selected early afternoon or late morning showings. The one today at the Old Mill Playhouse at 12:20 PM was just $5 with only about 25 people in Auditorium 1.

So, that really helped with understanding the dialogue.

Very fun movie. I had a professor at the University of Nevada, Reno in the History Department who compared the Beatles to great musicians like Beethoven, Mozart, etc. Maybe he was right as some of these Beatle songs are wonderful.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 PM

Hubby and I saw the movie at 3:00. Theater was full! Movie was good, would have been better if we could understand a lot of what they said. Music was awesome! All in all, a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon followed by Pizza at Red Sauce (which was excellent)!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 PM
Veteran member
Default College and The Beatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
They show movies with closed captions here in the Villages every Monday for selected early afternoon or late morning showings. The one today at the Old Mill Playhouse at 12:20 PM was just $5 with only about 25 people in Auditorium 1.

Very fun movie. I had a professor at the University of Nevada, Reno in the History Department who compared the Beatles to great musicians like Beethoven, Mozart, etc. Maybe he was right as some of these Beatle songs are wonderful.
I believe it was the Spring semester of my Freshman year (Sping 1968) when I was taking Psych 101. Our professor (who a number of years later became President of the College) used the lyrics of "She's Leaving Home" as a piece that had a deep understanding of family dynamics. He didn't play the recording, he just read the lyrics as a poem, which of course they are. I think it was then that I began to understand just how meaningful The Beatles songs often are.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
I believe it was the Spring semester of my Freshman year (Sping 1968) when I was taking Psych 101. Our professor (who a number of years later became President of the College) used the lyrics of "She's Leaving Home" as a piece that had a deep understanding of family dynamics. He didn't play the recording, he just read the lyrics as a poem, which of course they are. I think it was then that I began to understand just how meaningful The Beatles songs often are.
The Professor loved Let It Be if I remember correctly. It just seemed odd. This was a West Point drop-out or something like that whom I had for various History courses at the University of Nevada-Reno.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

I wish they had had close captions for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy some years back, I never understood a word of it, and I'm a Brit!
Old 07-16-2019, 07:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I wish they had had close captions for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy some years back, I never understood a word of it, and I'm a Brit!
I remember that problem with that flick as well.

Usually, I have the captioning on with any movie I am watching on Blu-Ray or DVD as I have often been thinking that I was going crazy with some of the things I heard in movies since around 1995.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We have DirectTV and Netflix. Have captions on all the time - helpful. Helps my hearing...

Did go to Monday movies a couple times with the captions - OK depending on type of movie IMO... ones with fast-talking or accent OK. If I can hear the dialogue just fine, Captions can be a distraction.

She would probably like to have Captions ON when she talks to me...

Tags
music, beatles, attention, highly, recommend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.