The Zookeeper's Wife A+

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thumbs up The Zookeeper's Wife A+

I saw "The Zookeeper's Wife" this past weekend. Excellent movie - four stars from me. Jessica Chastain deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Actress. The movie tells the inspiring story of an amazing Polish woman who hid 300 Jews in her family's zoo in Warsaw after the Nazis invaded Poland.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I saw "The Zookeeper's Wife" this past weekend. Excellent movie - four stars from me. Jessica Chastain deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Actress. The movie tells the inspiring story of an amazing Polish woman who hid 300 Jews in her family's zoo in Warsaw after the Nazis invaded Poland.
I agree very good movie. I had read the book of the same name a few years ago.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I agree very good movie. I had read the book of the same name a few years ago.
I just downloaded The Zookeeper's Wife on my Kindle. Hoping it is a good read . . .
Old 05-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I just downloaded The Zookeeper's Wife on my Kindle. Hoping it is a good read . . .
Does go into a lot of science on breeding of animals and criticizes much of the junk science you would have seen in works of the scientists of the Third Reich. I studied a lot of the history of science while in college so it was quite interesting.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I loved the book. It will be interesting to see how well you think the movie followed the book. For instance, I read that the movie A Dog's Purpose (which I refuse to see due to mishandling of a dog in the filming) dealt with only one part of the book. Whereas The Book Thief, (which I also read the book), followed the book very well.

But Zookeeper's Wife was a much more faceted book than The Book Thief, which was actually written for teens & pre-teens.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I loved the book. It will be interesting to see how well you think the movie followed the book. For instance, I read that the movie A Dog's Purpose (which I refuse to see due to mishandling of a dog in the filming) dealt with only one part of the book. Whereas The Book Thief, (which I also read the book), followed the book very well.

But Zookeeper's Wife was a much more faceted book than The Book Thief, which was actually written for teens & pre-teens.
A Dog's Purpose the movie skips over some of the heartbreaking parts and adds another one I seem to remember. A lot of the stories are in both the movie and the book.

The book was much better than the movie and I am not sure how accurate the abuse accusation of the dog really is. The sides say different things.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
A Dog's Purpose the movie skips over some of the heartbreaking parts and adds another one I seem to remember. A lot of the stories are in both the movie and the book.

The book was much better than the movie and I am not sure how accurate the abuse accusation of the dog really is. The sides say different things.
You may be right, Tal, but I can't get over the video that was taken on a cell phone of them trying to force the petrified dog into the rushing water. Plus Best Friends Animal Society was supposed to share in the profits, and they pulled out due to what they saw.

But that's off topic; sorry.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
You may be right, Tal, but I can't get over the video that was taken on a cell phone of them trying to force the petrified dog into the rushing water. Plus Best Friends Animal Society was supposed to share in the profits, and they pulled out due to what they saw.

But that's off topic; sorry.
I believe that the movies' producers say that the dog wanted to get into the water. What Really Happened to That Dog on the Set of A Dog’s Purpose? [Updated] | Vanity Fair
Old 05-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
I believe that the movies' producers say that the dog wanted to get into the water. What Really Happened to That Dog on the Set of A Dog’s Purpose? [Updated] | Vanity Fair
I don't buy what Quaid said. He didn't see it personally, or he would have said so. What was on the video was a scared dog being forced into the water.

Best Friends is the most respected animal rescue association in the US. If they pulled out of a financially beneficial agreement, I'm sure they had the real scoop.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
I don't buy what Quaid said. He didn't see it personally, or he would have said so. What was on the video was a scared dog being forced into the water.

Best Friends is the most respected animal rescue association in the US. If they pulled out of a financially beneficial agreement, I'm sure they had the real scoop.
I just have a lot of scepticism about anything where media and big money is concerned about hot stories and leaked tapes. And a lot of politics is usually also involved with big egos on all sides. You will see some of these themes in the breeding of zoo animals too in Germany and Poland discussed in the book The Zookeeper's Wife. I mean egos and conflicting theories or stories. In the book it is a lot about the auroch which seems to be again making a comeback of sorts. Wild supercows return to Europe - CNN.com

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-15-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
I just have a lot of scepticism about anything where media and big money is concerned about hot stories and leaked tapes. And a lot of politics is usually also involved with big egos on all sides. You will see some of these themes in the breeding of zoo animals too in Germany and Poland discussed in the book The Zookeeper's Wife. I mean egos and conflicting theories or stories. In the book it is a lot about the auroch which seems to be again making a comeback of sorts. Wild supercows return to Europe - CNN.com
Excerpt from 'The Zookeeper's Wife' - USATODAY.com

The book The Zookeeper's Wife and the man Lutz Heck and his obsession with aurochs. Lutz Heck - Wikipedia Daniel Bruhl - Wikipedia

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-15-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
I agree with you about media and big money. I've just had so much contact with Best Friends down through the years that I know and trust their integrity. If anyone had a big ego in this, I would guess it's the filmmakers and not Best Friends. That's where I think the big money lies. But JMO.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
I agree with you about media and big money. I've just had so much contact with Best Friends down through the years that I know and trust their integrity. If anyone had a big ego in this, I would guess it's the filmmakers and not Best Friends. That's where I think the big money lies. But JMO.
A Dog's Purpose (film - Wikipedia)

Which Best Friends groups were you involved with?

A 3rd party investigator of the tape in question found that it had been tampered with to reflect badly on the film makers. Third-Party Investigation Finds No Animal Injuries, Cruelty on Set of 'A Dog's Purpose' | Hollywood Reporter
Old 05-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
A Dog's Purpose (film - Wikipedia)

Which Best Friends groups were you involved with?

A 3rd party investigator of the tape in question found that it had been tampered with to reflect badly on the film makers. Third-Party Investigation Finds No Animal Injuries, Cruelty on Set of 'A Dog's Purpose' | Hollywood Reporter
This is way off topic, but here it is Animal Rescue | Best Friends Animal Society

Tal, my last post here so we don't get modsmacked. I appreciate your insights.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
This is way off topic, but here it is Animal Rescue | Best Friends Animal Society

Tal, my last post here so we don't get modsmacked. I appreciate your insights.
No Kill Animal Shelter | Best Friends Animal Society

Thanks.

It looks like A Dog's Purpose had filming locations in Canada primarily.

Not sure where The Zookeeper's Wife was filmed. Europe probably. The Zookeeper's Wife (film - Wikipedia)
Closed Thread

Tags
movie, zookeepers, wife, polish, woman

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.