WVLG Playlist

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Sage
Default WVLG Playlist

I have listened to WVLG quite a bit for the past 5 days while I've been in TV. I've noticed during the day and early evening the playlist contains quite a bit of music from about 1975 to 1985. Is the station targeting a younger demographic -- namely boomers born 1955 to 1964?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Default Wvlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I have listened to WVLG quite a bit for the past 5 days while I've been in TV. I've noticed during the day and early evening the playlist contains quite a bit of music from about 1975 to 1985. Is the station targeting a younger demographic -- namely boomers born 1955 to 1964?
Might be a crazy question but here goes; I enjoy WVLG and would love to stream it live while back home in Memphis. Anyone have a link to do that?
Thanks as always to the group

Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

I don't know if they are specifically targeting this age group but the days of all 50-60's music are long gone.However I like the mix of music.Most of my friends don't agree with me but as long as occasionally they go "way back",I'm fine with it.This weekend for instance,they are featuring a roots or legends of rock and roll weekend.I also love the music played after 11:30 every night.I put it on and fall to sleep to it.Very relaxing and a nice feature.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 AM

We really miss the originial music from the 50's & 60's. They are playing much more current music now which you can find on a lot of stations. The original music gave The Villages a special atmosphere that was hard to find on other stations. The announcers are first class though regardless of format.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Might be a crazy question but here goes; I enjoy WVLG and would love to stream it live while back home in Memphis. Anyone have a link to do that?

Mike, I don't believe they've got live audio streaming in their repertoire at this point. I nosed around on the web for a bit - couldn't find a thing indicating they do it. Sorry!!

Bill
Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Gold member
Default me too

Quote:

I also asked about WVLG streaming a while ago. I hit the same brick wall. You would think the developer would stream the station so Villagers could listen in their northern home AND prospective buyers could listen and get a feel of TV life and learn about advertisers...
In the mean time I'll be "Hoping and dreamin'"
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
......In the mean time I'll be "Hoping and dreamin'"
..........of streamin' !!!

Bill
Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 AM

I agree with the earlier comments, I'm finding WVLG less and less appealing. They play older pop and rock music, but very very seldom do they play any old (and traditional) country music. I get my fix of old time bluegrass music at the Seabreeze every Wednesday. You can count the stations that play true traditional country music in the US on one hand probably. Fortunately, from my former "neck of the woods" they have a internet streaming station. It is WBZI, Xenia, OH "myclassiccoiuntry.com" if you are so inclined. The boomers are getting more of the attention.......
Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Veteran member

Don't forget about the free music channels on Comcast, Directv etc. No DJ's, commercials etc. Just constant music.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_...ast_cable.html
Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Being a middle "Boomer", I appreciate the current selection and also enjoy earlier periods. My biggest fear as I get older and actually become a Senior Citizen of The Villages is that the late gen X-ers and early Y-ers will be listening to 50Cent and worse.
Imagine a hip hop concert at the Square!

Anyway, signed the papers for the sale of our house today - on our way.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Mike, I don't believe they've got live audio streaming in their repertoire at this point. I nosed around on the web for a bit - couldn't find a thing indicating they do it. Sorry!!

Bill
Bill,

You were my last hope!! I do not know what you do but you seem to be able to find almost anything. If you say it doesn't exist dude I am in!!!

Thanks as always for your answers and help
Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Bill,

You were my last hope!! I do not know what you do but you seem to be able to find almost anything. If you say it doesn't exist dude I am in!!!

Thanks as always for your answers and help
Ha-ha!! You must've emptied that bottle you're holding in your avatar this evening! Don't necessarily 'bet the ranch' on any of my feedback........but I try to do the best I can to come up with qualified info.

Thanks for your thoughts - - - I appreciate it.

Bill
Old 07-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Gold member

720-AM on your radio dial. It's from Ocala or Gainesville and features the type of music WVLG used to play. It's usually unavailable after 6pm or 7pm, though.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Default Wvlg

I had The Villages station on all the time when I first came here--5 years ago--I never listen anymore. I really do not like the music they play. Before anyone tells me to move, I have found a good station from Tampa that I listen to. I do put WVLG on when we have stormy weather. It's not too bad after 11pm.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I enjoy WVLG and would love to stream it live
I was interested in doing the same thing and contacted WVLG and had a nice chat ... I was told that it had been considered, but that the royalties for the songs if broadcast over the internet versus broadcast just locally over WVLG made it cost prohibitive ... don't know if it is true ... just repeating what I was told by WVLG ...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.