Canadien rock band Rush!

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2021, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Je pense que vous l’avez mal orthographié, je pense qu’il est orthographié comme ceci; Canadienne
Canadienne is the feminine. Canadien is the masculine.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Canadienne is the feminine. Canadien is the masculine.
Q' est ce tout les deux?
Old 03-06-2021, 10:24 PM
Sage

What do you mean, what are the two of them? What are the two of what? Rush is 3 musicians, one of whom is dead, and none of them are Quebequers (the Quebequois term for "people who are from Quebec province"). They spoke English.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:21 AM
Gold member

"No his mind is not for rent to any god or government"

Geddy on being a musician - "not a very noble endeavor"

Rush - Tom Sawyer (Official Music Video) - YouTube

This is cute:
The Spirit of Radio - Rush - House Band at May Fair - 05.09.15 - YouTube

Last edited by MorTech; 03-07-2021 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:00 AM

thx for the heads up.. watched it last night, great documentry. Not sure where you'd find this but last year after Neils passing Sirus XMs' Jim Ladd did a great interview with Neil that he had previously recorded. well worth the listen.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Although I was never a fan (you can't follow everybody!), I do appreciate their talent. Thanks for the review. By the way, I bet a lot of people had to ask you what heinous meant, right?
I'm the same way. I truly admire and respect the talents of these three guys, but it's three virtuosos making music that not a lot of people want to listen to. Yes, they've sold some records but if it was all about who are the greatest players, they be on the top of the record sales list. Instead, bands like the Stones and Arrowsmith make music that most people find more listenable.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm the same way. I truly admire and respect the talents of these three guys, but it's three virtuosos making music that not a lot of people want to listen to. Yes, they've sold some records but if it was all about who are the greatest players, they be on the top of the record sales list. Instead, bands like the Stones and Arrowsmith make music that most people find more listenable.
I loved Rush. But I also agree with your opinion, as I play guitar a little myself and I am constantly pointing out to musicians that 'prowess' on an instrument is impressive to other musicians mainly. Rush was so incredibly tight together! I have to stand in awe of them as a person that sees the mechanics involved.

Yet IMHO for most people, music conveys an attitude, paints a picture, has a beat/flow that is alluring and THAT is the main attraction. They identify with the song in emotional ways. Rush's lyrics, thanks mainly to Neil Peart, were inspirational and top-notch. The people that loved Rush were certainly heavily drawn to the lyrics. A lot of people didn't like Geddy's falsetto voice, and never really looked past that. Not a lot of dance-able stuff there either!

I also heard from a friend of mine that Geddy cannot sing falsetto anymore after he spread COVID, as the OP stated.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:34 PM
Sage

I'm not fond of Geddy Lee's vocal quality - the same kind of quality that bugs me about many country singers' voices. It's like musical hiccups. But I have no problem with his pitch, and his range. The quality part is similar to Jessi Colter - listen here: JESSI COLTER- I'M NOT LISA - YouTube where she says "Lisa le....ft...you" - that little trill. It's a common country affectation, and Geddy Lee does it too but with apparently no control over it. I've seen videos of some of his live performances and it was a distraction. If you watch this and listen around :42 when he sings "For those who think and feel" - there's that trill. The whole song is filled with it. that's the "quality" that bothers me about his voice. The voice itself is great, I love it, raspy and high.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

I love Geddy Lee’s hauntingly plaintive (like a teen in angst) voice. Gives me the sense of eternal youth and innocence, I am sorry if it has become an ordinary voice like the rest of us now.

Last edited by Velvet; 03-13-2021 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:11 AM

Big fan of Rush and Seventies hard rock in general (thus my username) cool to see people discussing them here. Their stuff from the seventies into the early eighties is my favorite.
Closed Thread

Tags
band, rush, rock, music, stones

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.