Free Outdoor concert this afternoon 1/15 at Fenney Rec Center

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2020, 09:25 AM
Veteran member
Default Free Outdoor concert this afternoon 1/15 at Fenney Rec Center

It's going to be a beautiful afternoon! Come and see The Pops Chorus Folk Quartet FOR FREE at the Fenney Recreation Center Porch on January 15 from 2 to 3:30, part of The Villages Recreation Dept. Outdoor Concert Series. The boys will be playing your favorites from many great folk artists, including The Kingston Trio, The Brothers Four, Peter Paul and Mary, and many more. They will be joined by Jan Lavin, BJ Odendahl, and Jim Vukelic from The Pops Chorus Folksingers for a few songs, and of course, there are always a few surprises in store! Don't miss this fun concert that will bring you back to the great folk music era.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:17 PM
Veteran member

If I were already in the Villages (I move next week), I would soooo be at this show. Love folk music, especially that kind. Can’t wait to see this quartet ... as often as possible! New Christy Minstrels and their followers rule!
Old 01-15-2020, 08:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Next concert by Pops Chorus Folksingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
If I were already in the Villages (I move next week), I would soooo be at this show. Love folk music, especially that kind. Can’t wait to see this quartet ... as often as possible! New Christy Minstrels and their followers rule!
Our next concert will be April 21 at North Lake Presbyterian Church (our usual venue). Tickets will go on sale thru the Villages Box Office in early March. Hope you can make it.

By the way, I have communicated via email with Randy Sparks over the last few years. He sent us the NCM arrangement of "Today" which we always play at our larger concerts.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

Alas, the Villages will be a home for me only in the off season, at least for a while. So I'll be looking for you from May to November for sure. I hope your show went great today and was well attended. Thanks for keeping this kind of music alive. It's the real thing.

I started an amateur folk sing-along/jam group back in 2007 in Arlington, VA (The DC Area Folk SOJO (Sing Out Jam Out) (Arlington, VA) | Meetup). I moved away, but it's still going strong. We have some wonderful singers and players, many of whom were influenced by and are fans of the big ensemble folk sound of the NCM and Serendipity Singers. SOJO even spawned Shenandoah Run (Shenandoah Run - Folk Music with a Kick), another folk group like yours that plays around the DC area. I wrote to NCM a while back to tell them about SOJO and NCM's influence on us. I got a nice note back from long-time member Mary Jo Benson.

As you might know, the New Christy Minstrels are planning a major tour in 2020. I didn't get to see them in their heyday, but I saw them twice within the last decade or so, and they are still great. Wouldn't it be something if your manager could get you booked as the opening act on their tour?

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 01-15-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
concert, folk, chorus, pops, outdoor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.