Isolate this. The Doobie Brothers - Black Water (Live in Isolation)

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2020, 05:07 PM
Default Isolate this. The Doobie Brothers - Black Water (Live in Isolation)

turn up the sound, then click here for video

big smiles everyone
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
I honestly believe these guys are terrific musicians, however billing themselves as " The Doobie Brothers " is a stretch at best.

Minus " Michael McDonald the voice and leader of " The Doobie Brothers " who for many, many years is no longer with them.

There are plenty of groups around touting themselves as ….. but the main person(s) are missing. Sad..
Old 05-18-2020, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

I believe these are the original members. McDonald joined them when lead singer Tom Johnston (the one with the bushy mustache) took ill. He was so popular that they kept him on, and he moved them to more main stream rock and soul. I've seen them several times, with and without McDonald, and they were always great. McDonald has done a lot of solo and studio work, and has been on Steely Dan albums. Saw him at the Melody Tent in Hyannis years ago, and have always been a fan
Old 05-18-2020, 06:36 PM

"Steely Dan"

One of the most talented R&B groups, ever.

Their musicality is simply stunning.

And, their syncopated beat was an inspiration to many of us drummer.

https://thevillagerockers.com/steely-dan/
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

Also think Steely Dan was great, but sadly Walter Becker died, so we'll never have anything new. Probably some of the strangest lyrics ever (or at least I couldn't figure some of them out), yet somehow how it worked, and they had some of rock's finest songs
Old 05-18-2020, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
I believe these are the original members. McDonald joined them when lead singer Tom Johnston (the one with the bushy mustache) took ill. He was so popular that they kept him on, and he moved them to more main stream rock and soul. I've seen them several times, with and without McDonald, and they were always great. McDonald has done a lot of solo and studio work, and has been on Steely Dan albums. Saw him at the Melody Tent in Hyannis years ago, and have always been a fan
That's fine I associate " The Dooby Brothers with Michael McDonald as most do.

Without his presence and voice they are just another group. Be honest. Just as I mentioned many groups try to carry on without the Main Lead...and fail

I can mention many groups why bother.

Boring
Old 05-18-2020, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
That's fine I associate " The Dooby Brothers with Michael McDonald as most do.

Without his presence and voice they are just another group. Be honest. Just as I mentioned many groups try to carry on without the Main Lead...and fail

I can mention many groups why bother.

Boring
To say the Doobie Bros were nothing before Michael McDonald joined only meant you don't have a grasp of early to mid 70's rock music and what was played on rock and top 40 radio. The songs Listen to the Music, Black Water and China Grove were played non-stop when were released new. Michael McDonald has a catchy voice, and was asked to join, which he jumped at when Tom Johnston left to pursue a solo career. Tom after having just the one hit in '79 Savannah Nights, the Doobie Bros gladly took him back.

Before Michael McDonald joined in 1976 they had the hits with Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons on vocals including Jesus is Just Alright, Listen to the Music, Long Train Runnin', China Grove, Rockin Down the Highway, South City Midnight Lady, Black Water, Another Park Another Sunday, Without You, Take me in your Arms and I Cheat the Hangman.

I bought the following albums when they were new, I don't own any that had Michael McDonald as a band member, I no longer considered them Doobie Bros. Michael McDonald as a solo act, I would probably go see him, but as part of the Doobie Bros, he turned them into a pop machine.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 05-19-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:04 AM

We just can't appreciate anything for it's own value, can we? EVERYTHING must be cause for controversy?
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 AM

So we saw Steely Dan in Cleveland sometime in the 70s ......maybe 12th row center. In front of us was an older couple way out of their age group. I spoke to the couple after the concert and told them I really liked the concert and it was good to see people “their age” like them also. She replied.........”I should say we like them ......Donald Fagen is my son”!!
Old 05-19-2020, 08:54 AM

Thank You!
Old 05-19-2020, 11:12 AM

Best band.. Great sound. Wish the would come to TV.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symaster View Post
Best band.. Great sound. Wish the would come to TV.
Best song

Reeling in the Years

and another favorite, with "dueling" guitars

Hotel Caifornia

but then, I admit to being a huge Joe Walsh fan.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
To say the Doobie Bros were nothing before Michael McDonald joined only meant you don't have a grasp of early to mid 70's rock music and what was played on rock and top 40 radio. The songs Listen to the Music, Black Water and China Grove were played non-stop when were released new. Michael McDonald has a catchy voice, and was asked to join, which he jumped at when Tom Johnston left to pursue a solo career. Tom after having just the one hit in '79 Savannah Nights, the Doobie Bros gladly took him back.

Before Michael McDonald joined in 1976 they had the hits with Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons on vocals including Jesus is Just Alright, Listen to the Music, Long Train Runnin', China Grove, Rockin Down the Highway, South City Midnight Lady, Black Water, Another Park Another Sunday, Without You, Take me in your Arms and I Cheat the Hangman.

I bought the following albums when they were new, I don't own any that had Michael McDonald as a band member, I no longer considered them Doobie Bros. Michael McDonald as a solo act, I would probably go see him, but as part of the Doobie Bros, he turned them into a pop machine.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Totally agree with John. To me the pre MacDonald era is the true sound of the Doobies. Lost interest after Tom Johnston's departure.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:02 PM

Hey, thanx for posting this link! Black Water happened to be my favorite all time Doobie Brothers song. This was awesome and the video is adorable.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 05-20-2020, 06:49 AM
Default you asked....

The Doobie Brothers Behind The Music - YouTube
Closed Thread

Tags
isolate, sound, smiles, big, video

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.